Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Abilities:||Deal damage, Draw cards|
Draw a card and deal damage equal to its cost.
C'mon Molten Giant!!
How to get[edit | edit source]
Holy Wrath can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Holy Wrath can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Holy Wrath||800||100|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This spell has two steps:
- As usual, the target of the spell must be choosen before the spell takes effect, and thus without knowing how much damage will be dealt.
- If your hand is full when Holy Wrath draws a card, this spell will still deal damage equivalent to the card's mana cost, despite overdrawing the card.
- This spell's damage is increased by bonuses from Spell Damage and Prophet Velen.
- If Holy Wrath draws a 0-Cost card it deals 0 damage, usually with no effect (for example, it will not pop Divine Shield).
- The interactions of Holy Wrath with cost-modifying effects seem to be inconsistent and should be verified again. More precisely:
- Auras that modify mana costs (such as Molten Giant and Mechwarper) do not modify the damage dealt by Holy Wrath since both steps of this spell are inside of a Phase and Auras don't update inside of a Phase.
- Even though it should work by enchanting cards in your deck to change their mana cost, as of Patch 7.1.1, if a Renounce Darkness discounted card is drawn by Holy Wrath, the full damage is done (as though it were not discounted). (Maybe this is because adding a new Enchantment recalculates mana cost immediately, but just drawing the card does not force it to recalculate its mana cost?)
- Since on-draw triggers trigger before Holy Wrath deals its damage, if Shadowfiend is in play the mana cost of the drawn card is immediately reduced and Holy Wrath will deal one less damage.[verification requested]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Holy Wrath should be played in a fairly high mana deck for obvious reasons. Since the cost of this card is a bit higher and the damage is not reliable, it's for most purposes better to pick Hammer of Wrath for card generation.
This spell is particularly useful when the paladin has very high mana cost cards in their deck. Conversely, drawing a low mana cost card will render Holy Wrath extremely inefficient. As mentioned in this card's flavor text, Molten Giant is one of the highest mana cost cards in the game by a substantial margin, and drawing it with Holy Wrath can deal a whopping 20 damage to the opponent (Shirvallah, the Tiger can alternatively be used to deal 25). With Hemet, Jungle Hunter and a deck filled with low-cost cards, you can have a much better chance of drawing those expensive minions from your Holy Wrath. A more guaranteed method is to empty your deck, play the minion for 3 or less Mana, shuffle it in with Baleful Banker, then draw it with Holy Wrath.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Wrathgate" series, for the card Lesson of the Divine.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA67jDrXCok Tested in Patch 188.8.131.5257 (2015-09-29)
- Tested by WillyK in Patch_184.108.40.20666 (Tavern Brawl patch). Re-tested by \u\steamgears92 in Patch 220.127.116.1186 (TGT patch)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afl2BgIS9Ms Tested in Patch 18.104.22.16857 (2015-09-29)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbVSMRTQA Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12457 (2015-09-29)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rR99Z3sFAU Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19957 (2015-09-29)