|Set:||One Night in Karazhan|
|Tags:||Random, Spell-related, Totem-generating, Triggered effect|
Whenever you cast a spell, summon a random basic Totem.
You can easily defeat her by either dealing 4 damage, or dropping a house on her.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Wicked Witchdoctor||400||50|
Minions summoned[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This minion's triggered effect has a similar effect to the shaman Hero Power Totemic Call, combined with the activation condition of Violet Teacher.
- Like the Hero Power, the Totem summoned is a randomly selected from the 'basic' pool. Other Totem-type minions cannot be summoned.
- Unlike Totemic Call, the effect can summon a copy of a Totem already on the board.
- The totem is summoned by the Wicked Witchdoctor before the spell takes effect. If the Witchdoctor summons a Wrath of Air Totem, the Spell Damage will apply to the spell being cast. Similarly, the additional totem summoned by the Witchdoctor will give an additional +1/+1 to Primal Fusion and will receive the +2 health buff from Totemic Might.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Much like the Classic-set neutral Violet Teacher, Wicked Witchdoctor adds board control synergy to spells. While it has 1 less Health than the Teacher, this effect will be of some use and likely activate often enough, since Shamans use plenty of cheap spells, such as:
- Lightning Bolt
- Maelstrom Portal, whose summon effect is essentially doubled
- Various 3-cost spells, such as Feral Spirit or Hex.
Totems have distinct advantages to the 1/1s from Violet Teacher. While often less powerful in direct trading (as with the Paladin's Reinforce power), the totems have the potential to be more useful due to other synergies. First is a chance of further Spell Damage from Wrath of Air Totem. This is especially powerful when combined with an AoE effect such as Lightning Storm. Secondly, the provided totems increase the potential of late game cards, such as adding targets for Thunder Bluff Valiant's Inspire effect or reducing the mana cost of Thing from Below.
The ability to summon a duplicate of a Totem already in play can be interesting, but the possible results include highly unpredictable and undesirable combinations. For example, Healing Totem can be summoned 3 times in a row to an otherwise empty board, or Wrath of Air Totem while no spells are in hand.
If you are looking to get a second copy of a totem already on your board, use the Hero Power first before casting spells, whereas if you are searching for a totem you don't already have, use the Hero Power last, to ensure it does not duplicate the Witchdoctor's totems. The Witchdoctor's totems appear to its own right, not with the others on the far right of the board; to separate the spawns and spread totems evenly, it may be best to place the Witchdoctor on the far left of the board.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- My Totems! My pretty Totems!
- Effect triggering
- Ooh. My pretties!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The art for Wicked Witchdoctor was created by the same artist as The Crone (Rafael Zanchetin) and appears to have shared concept art, as can be seen in their respective gallery sections.
- The "dropping a house" text in this card's flavour text is a reference to the "Wicked Witch of the East" from the "Wizard of Oz".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12421 (2016-08-09): Added.