Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
|Set:||Journey to Un'Goro|
|Abilities:||Deal damage, Overload|
Deal 15 Damage randomly split across all minions. Overload: (2)
Many young shaman summon a volcano as their first school project.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Volcano can be obtained through Journey to Un'Goro card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Volcano can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
Notes[edit | edit source]
This spell shoots 15 missiles, each one dealing 1 damage to a randomly selected minion:
- Each missile is resolved (queuing and resolving triggered effects, such as that of Acolyte of Pain) before the next one is shot.
- As with all random effects, the missiles can hit any minion, including friendly, Immune (which will however suffer no damage) and Stealthed minions.
- Minions which have been mortally wounded by earlier missiles or destroyed by triggered effects like Acidmaw will not be selected as targets for subsequent missiles (thus preventing missiles from dealing 'overkill' damage to targets that have already been destroyed by earlier missiles).
- Bonuses from Spell Damage and Prophet Velen will increase the total damage of this spell, not the damage dealt by each missile: for example, with Spell Damage +2 this spell will shoot 2 extra missiles, each one still dealing just 1 damage.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
A great card serving as an alternative for Elemental Destruction, with more versatility and less overload penalty at a higher base cost and less total damage.
Volcano can be used much the same as Elemental Destruction as a board clear vs aggro, but also is great at killing a large enemy minion or two if your side of the board is clear. Ideally, this card will best be used in such a situation where you either have low health minions on the board or no minions to ensure that you clear the enemy side of the board. Generally, it's best to play this card when there is 15 or less health across all minions, taking out the RNG from the card. It can also be used with Acolyte of Pain to draw cards as you clear the board.
While not the ideal use, this can be used to damage or remove an enemy Taunt minion while you have the board, clearing the way for lethal damage. This obviously requires a bit of luck, but can be maximized by keeping your minions at high health.
This one of the few Shaman board clears where having a Wrath of Air Totem is actually a downside, since its 1 Spell Damage is overruled by the totem's 2 health.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Fire Plume Ridge is the volcano in the center of Un'Goro Crater. Lava flows down the sides of the mountain, where fire elementals can be found. The strongest of all fire elementals in Un'Goro, Blazerunner, lives within a cave at its peak.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The visual effects when playing this card were "pretty much exclusively" created by FX artist Hadidjah Chamberlin.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20636 (2017-04-04) Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Journey to Un'Goro Announcement Video. (2017-02-27).
- Talking Hearthstone design - An interview with Senior Concept Artist Jomaro Kindred. (2017-04-02).