|Abilities:||Increment attribute, Modify cost|
|Tags:||Death-related, In-hand effect, Ongoing effect|
Costs (1) less for each minion that died this turn.
Volcanic Drakes breathe lava instead of fire. The antacid vendor at Thorium Point does a brisk business with them.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Volcanic Drake||400||50|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The mana cost of this card is reduced by 1 for each minion that has already died during the current turn (including minions killed during the 'start of turn' phase by effects such as Doomsayer).
- The mana cost of this card cannot be reduced below 0. However, further cost-reductions can help in countering cost-increasing effects like Loatheb.
- This card has an in-hand effect: it modifies its own mana cost only while in the player's hand, and not while the card is anywhere else.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Ideally you want to make this card cost 4 or less mana to get value. You can either trade minions or cast AoE like Flamestrike in order to achieve this. Keep in mind that its stat distribution makes it vulnerable to your opponent's 4-damage options.
This minion has great potential as part of, or even when against a Paladin deck. Their hero power Reinforce and Muster for Battle will create a multitude of bodies by themselves, which can make playing Volcanic Drake a cheap and devastating swing in board control.
In Arena this card is average, not a card that you want to draw too early. Not guaranteed to shift the match into your favor, instead it is useful if you can maintain board advantage. Otherwise its stat distribution for its mana cost is will make it difficult to summon it and have it survive into the next turn.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Blackrock Mountain[edit | edit source]
In a given dragonflight, not all dragonkin are equally powerful. Drakes are younger dragons, and Nefarian keeps a bunch of these around to do his bidding. They do it all, including acting as guards, enforcers, mounts for favored allies (lookin’ at you Rend), cook, clean, do chores around the lair, and are really great at disposing of excess adventurers.
They have a weakness for snacks, so if you have some tasty corpses handy, a drake will be your best friend forever.
World of Warcraft[edit | edit source]
- Drakes are dragons that are still relatively young in comparison to their ancient brethren. Drakes are almost always flying while moving, while nether drakes tend to walk. Fully grown dragons are bigger and typically walk while moving. Drakes can be found throughout Azeroth, but are especially prevalent in some areas, such as the Burning Steppes, the Swamp of Sorrows, Winterspring, and in many dungeons.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Twilight of the Dragons" series, for the card Obsidian Skyterror.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5211 (2015-03-31): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- The Horrors of the Hidden Laboratory. (2015-03-26).