|Set:||The Grand Tournament|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Draw cards, Put into battlefield|
Battlecry: Draw 3 cards. Put any minions you drew directly into the battlefield.
Leader of the Alliance! Father of Anduin! Also he likes to play Arena, and he averages 12 wins.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Varian Wrynn||3200||1600|
Notes[edit | edit source]
Varian Wrynn's Battlecry functions as follows:
- Repeat three times:
This leads to the following interactions:
- If Varian Wrynn draws a minion, any on-draw effects and draw-triggered effects will not be activated, including Sea Reaver , Flame Leviathan and Chromaggus.
- If Varian Wrynn draws a non-minion, any on-draw effects and draw-triggered effects will be activated, including Ambush!  and Chromaggus.
- If Varian Wrynn draws a card with an on-draw effect, which in turn draws a minion, the minion will not be put into the battlefield, since it was not drawn directly by Varian.
- If Varian Wrynn puts into play minions with triggered effects, such as Chromaggus or Knife Juggler, they will be able to trigger from the results of any of Varian's subsequent draws.
Fixed bugs[edit | edit source]
- Prior to Patch 220.127.116.1133 or Patch 18.104.22.16856 (2015-12-04), Varian Wrynn, like Deathlord and Voidcaller, used to have a bug where the newly summoned minions were considered the oldest in the order of play, instead of the newest.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This card serves as both a card for card advantage and in some cases a finisher for Control Warrior. Depending on the deck you use this in, drawing minions can be either a good or a bad thing. Worst case it is a 7/7 that draws you 3 cards from your deck. Best case it is a 7/7 that summons many other high-cost minions for free (like Alexstrasza and Ragnaros the Firelord). The downside to this is minions summoned this way don't have their battlecries activate. Thus many minions which are only run for their battlecries are poor when summoned by this card (like The Black Knight and Harrison Jones).
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Behold the armies of Stormwind.
- Alternative summon (when the enemy hero is Anduin)
- Your skills are growing, Anduin.
- For the glory of Stormwind!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- "The Horde has committed heinous crimes, Vol'jin. But some among you fought against Garrosh's tyranny. For that, I'm willing to end this bloodshed. But know this: if your Horde fails to uphold honor as Garrosh did, we will end you."
- Varian Wrynn, also known as Lo'Gosh the "Ghost Wolf", is the current King of Stormwind and High King of the Grand Alliance.
- Varian’s life has been defined by tragedy and conflict. The murder of his father, King Llane, by the assassin Garona Halforcen weighs heavily on him, along with the accidental death of his wife, Tiffin, during a riot. The king has recently returned to the throne following his abduction by the Defias Brotherhood and the black dragon Onyxia, who disguised herself as Lady Katrana Prestor. Robbed of his memories and enslaved by a Horde gladiatorial trainer in Kalimdor, Varian fought his way to freedom, earning the nickname “Lo’Gosh,” or “ghost wolf,” while in battle. With the help of his comrades, he was able to recover his true identity and finally defeat Onyxia. Under his daring leadership, the humans of Stormwind led the Alliance to victory against the Lich King in Northrend, and now seek to bolster their strategic holdings against their perennial enemy, the Horde. Known for his tenacity and fierce will, King Varian Wrynn is committed to protecting the Alliance's interests and raising his son, Anduin, to follow in his place. With the world plunged into chaos by the great Cataclysm, he has taken up military leadership of the Alliance, and vowed to forge a new destiny for Azeroth.
Voice[edit | edit source]
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12451 (2016-03-14): Entrance sound has been adjusted and is now longer. Old sound New sound
- Patch 126.96.36.19986 (2015-08-18): Added.
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Chris Metzen has voiced Varian Wrynn since at least Wrath of the Lich King, and is therefore believed to be the voice actor for this card.
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsaTDv1hhgE Tested in Patch 188.8.131.5286 (TGT patch)