|Set:||Mean Streets of Gadgetzan|
|Tags:||Summoning-related, Triggered effect|
After you summon a minion, deal 5 damage to your Hero.
Get the ingredients wrong on ONE healing potion and they take your license. What a world!
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Unlicensed Apothecary||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Unlicensed Apothecary is (no longer) a Summon Resolution Step trigger. This leads to the following interactions:
- If you summon an Unlicensed Apothecary and other minions in the same Phase (such as by summoning many demons at once using Krul the Unshackled), the Unlicensed Apothecary triggers for each other minion summoned.
- If you play a Battlecry minion with a transform effect, any Unlicensed Apothecaries will trigger both for the played minion if it's the same controller (following the On Play Phase) and also the post-transform minion if it's the same controller (following the After Summon Phase). This means, for example, that a Faceless Manipulator will trigger your Unlicensed Apothecaries twice. (This might be a bug, as a similar bug with Rumbling Elemental triggering twice for Faceless Manipulator targeting a Battlecry minion was hotfixed (and the hotfix later accidentally reverted).)
- Because heroes cannot recover from fatal damage once the current Phase ends, playing a minion with a healing Battlecry (eg Reno Jackson) while at 5 or less Health with an Unlicensed Apothecary on board will result in the hero being destroyed, even if the minion's healing should allow the hero to live, because the hero is dead before the Battlecry Phase begins.
- Important note: as of the October 17th update, Unlicensed Apothecary's wording has been changed to after you summon a minion and not whenever you summon a minion, and will no longer have the previous interactions.
- Although the card text reads "After you summon a minion", the effect actually triggers for every minion summoned on your side of the board.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Although this minion's drawback is severe, it's possible to avert it entirely. Due to Unlicensed Apothecary's obscene stats, playing additional minions will usually not be necessary to control the board. Slower decks like Handlock can take the most advantage out of this. Renolock can even play one or two minions while this is on the board and recover later using Reno Jackson.
While the incredible statline makes this a tempting choice for Zoolock, the downside is far more problematic in that kind of deck. Other strong 3 drops without downsides, such as Darkshire Councilman and Imp Gang Boss, are often better.
The drawback can be easily circumvented on following turns by first playing a Violet Illusionist, which will even negate the damage from playing itself.
Another great strategy is to use Treachery on this minion, and killing off a high value minion like Deathwing, Dragonlord, which one's deathrattle will put all dragons from the opponent's hand, which then will finish off the opponent.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- 'Join the Kabal', they said. Hmph!
- Want a drink? *cackles*
Lore[edit | edit source]
Unlicensed Apothecary is an Imp who has joined the Kabal. Judging by his flavour text and trigger animation, it seems that he brews faulty healing potions to throw at your hero, causing you to take damage.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.16817 (2017-10-17): Now reads: “After you summon a minion, deal 5 damage to your hero.” It will no longer activate from any Evolve effects.
- Patch 22.214.171.12490 (2016-11-29): Added.