- "Not everyone sleeps during the night. Under the light of the moon, I truly shine, for the goddess Elune grants me strength and her power shields me from harm. I am High Priestess Tyrande Whisperwind. Those who dare harm my people will not live to see the sunrise!"
- 1 Official overview
- 2 Background
- 3 How to get
- 4 Functionality
- 5 Flavor text
- 6 Emotes
- 7 Card back
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Voice
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Videos
- 12 Patch changes
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Official overview[edit | edit source]
- High Priestess Tyrande Whisperwind has been a fierce protector of her people for millennia. Her wisdom is legend—she has seen kingdoms rise and fall, and she has faced every threat to Azeroth for thousands of years. She is the chosen of the goddess Elune, and under her leadership the Night Elves have survived and prevailed throughout history. Whether defeating demonic incursions, managing difficult relationships, or providing wise council to Azeroth’s greatest leaders, Tyrande always knows the right play.
Background[edit | edit source]
- Tyrande Whisperwind (pronounced teh-rahn-dah) is the chosen high priestess of the goddess Elune, the former general of the night elf sentinels and the current head of the Sisterhood of Elune. Together with her lifelong mate, the archdruid Malfurion Stormrage, she has represented the highest leadership of the night elves since the fall of Queen Azshara and the Highborne caste ten thousand years ago. In World of Warcraft, she is found inside the Temple of the Moon within the Kaldorei's capital city of Darnassus.
- In the years prior to the Burning Legion's first invasion, Tyrande was the object of both Malfurion and his brother Illidan's affections. In the end, the priestess chose the druid over the sorcerer. After playing a pivotal role in the War of the Ancients, Tyrande was promoted to General of the Sentinels and would protect Kalimdor for over 10,000 years while her lover and the druids slept in the Emerald Dream. Tyrande and Malfurion then led the night elves in the Third War, defeating the Burning Legion as they had done in ages past at the Battle of Mount Hyjal. She subsequently stepped down as general, handing the reigns to her adoptive daughter Shandris Feathermoon, to devote herself fully as leader of her people.
- After Malfurion had become trapped within the Emerald Dream for a prolonged period of time, Tyrande journeyed into the dream to rescue him. In the wake of the Shattering, Tyrande and Malfurion were wed and now lead their people as one. Together they supported the worgen of Gilneas in their return into the Alliance. Tyrande also restored complete night elf control over Ashenvale as a result of the Alliance-Horde War.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Tyrande Whisperwind can be claimed for free by visiting the in-game Shop starting on December 10, 2019.
Previous availability[edit | edit source]
September 30 - November 5, 2016[edit | edit source]
Tyrande was available exclusively through subscribing to Twitch Prime, which is included as part of Amazon Prime. Twitch Prime members were able to obtain a code to unlock Tyrande for their account. The promotion lasted from around September 30 until November 5.
As of September 2016, Twitch Prime was only available for customers in the United States, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium and Austria. The developers are still discussing alternative means for players in other countries to obtain Tyrande in the future. However, it was reported that Twitch Prime's availability is determined solely by the address provided by the customer, allowing players from other regions to temporarily alter their details and thus obtain the code for Tyrande.
Tyrande was available to both new and existing members. Amazon Prime members were able to opt-in to Twitch Prime at no additional cost by linking their Twitch.tv account to their Amazon Prime account. While Amazon Prime normally costs a monthly fee, new customers were able to use the 30-day free trial to receive rewards including Tyrande for free, provided they canceled their membership before the end of the trial period.
January 25 - February 10, 2017[edit | edit source]
To obtain Tyrande, players had to purchase a 40 card pack bundle from the in-game Shop or the official Battle.net shop between January 25 and February 10, 2017, while qualifying for all the below criteria:
- Players must have had the Battle.net country of residence for that account set to Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam or the Philippines.
- The 40 card packs had to be bought as a single purchase, and be from the Classic set or an expansion set. Cumulative purchases did not qualify for the promotion.
Players who met these criteria were awarded the Tyrande hero on February 28, 2017.
Functionality[edit | edit source]
Once unlocked and selected for use, Tyrande Whisperwind replaces Anduin whenever playing with a priest deck. Tyrande Whisperwind comes with her own portrait, emotes, and hero tray art, as well as featuring a special animation when using Tyrande Whisperwind's Hero Power, Lesser Heal (or its upgraded version, Heal).
For more information, see Alternate heroes.
Flavor text[edit | edit source]
When viewed in the Collection, Tyrande Whisperwind has the following flavor text:
- Unlike some people, this leader didn't fall asleep on the job. We're looking at you, Malfurion.
- Obtained from a special promotion.
Emotes[edit | edit source]
Regular play[edit | edit source]
|Well played||Well played.|
|Greetings||Blessings to you.|
|Mirror Greetings||And to you.|
|Threaten||You will regret this!|
|Concede||It is finished. You win.|
|Opening remark||Elune give me strength.|
|Opening vs Malfurion Stormrage||My dear Malfurion.|
|Mirror start||The goddess is my shield.|
|Be right back||I will return shortly.|
|Nice card back||A fine card back!|
|Fidget||I grow impatient…|
|Faction cry||For the Alliance!|
|Welcome||In the name of Elune, welcome.|
|Hungry||I could really go for some moon cakes.|
|Thinking ||I wonder…|
|Thinking ||What is Elune's will…|
|Running out of time||Make haste!|
|Almost out of cards||I am almost out of cards.|
|Out of cards||I am out of cards!|
|Error: Too many minions||I have too many minions!|
|Error: Generic||I cannot do that.|
|Error: Hand already full||My hand is full!|
|Error: Hero already attacked||I already attacked.|
|Error: Minion not ready||Give that minion a turn to get ready.|
|Error: Minion exhausted||That minion already attacked.|
|Error: Not enough mana||I don't have enough Mana.|
|Error: Need a weapon||I need a weapon.|
|Error: Can't play that card||I can't play that.|
|Error: Can't target stealthed minions||I cannot target Stealthed minions.|
|Error: Not a valid target||That is not a valid target.|
|Error: Must attack taunt minion||A minion with Taunt is in the way.|
|Selection in Arena||The goddess calls!|
|Winter Veil Greetings||Happy Feast of Winter Veil!|
|Happy New Year||Happy New Year!|
|Midsummer Fire Festival Greetings||Happy Midsummer Festival.|
|Pirate's Day Greetings||Power Word: Yarrrrr!|
Unused[edit | edit source]
Removed[edit | edit source]
The following emotes were added with the introduction of the hero, but removed with the subsequent Patch 126.96.36.19981. All appear to correspond to upcoming events or features, and are not listed for other heroes, with the exception of "good game".
|Start of season||A new season begins.|
|End of season||The season comes to an end.|
|Happy Birthday||Happy Birthday!|
|Hallow's End||Happy Hallow's End!|
|Lunar New Year||Happy New Year!|
|Event||A happy day!|
|Love is in the Air||I miss my dear Malfurion.|
|Children's Week||Goddess bless the children.|
|Pirate's Day||Power Word: Yarr!|
|Day of the Dead||Moon goddess, bless the fallen.|
|Pilgrim's Bounty||Happy Pilgrim's Bounty!|
|Good Game||A good game!|
Card back[edit | edit source]
Obtaining Tyrande Whisperwind unlocks the following card back.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Tyrande and her husband Malfurion Stormrage have special opening remarks when playing against each other.
- Fandral Staghelm has a special summoning quote when playing against Tyrande: You would lead our people to ruin!
- The release of Tyrande was celebrated with a special "Hearthstone Priest Extravaganza", a month-long mini-event featuring 8 priest-themed Hearthstone streams.
- Many players and fans had been wanting the Tyrande hero skin for years after Tyrande was last available in early 2017. In April 2019, in a Q&A session with Team 5, it was announced that Tyrnade would be made available again at the end of the year. In November, principal game designer Mike Donais posted on social media that Tyrande would be made available in December.
Voice[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5290 (2016-11-29): Happy New Year emote added.
- Patch 184.108.40.20681 (2016-10-20):
- All emotes for upcoming events and features removed. Good game emote also removed.
- Typo: "I am almost out of card." corrected to "I am almost out of cards."
- Patch 220.127.116.1106 (2016-09-15): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- New Hearthstone Hero: Tyrande Whisperwind. (2016-09-30).
- Try Twitch Prime and Get Tyrande Whisperwind!. (2016-09-30).
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2016-09-30).
- Rise of Shadows Developer Q&A - All Answers. (2019-04-22). Retrieved on 2019-09-02.
- Mike Donais on reddit. (November 14, 2019). Retrieved on 2019-11-14.
[edit | edit source]
- Try Twitch Prime and Get Tyrande Whisperwind! (announcement blog, 2016-09-30)
|1,000 win heroes|
|Reward and special event heroes|
|Limited offers heroes|