|Tags:||Battlefield-related, Deathrattle-generating, Divine Shield-generating, Dormant-generating, Echo-generating, Inspire-generating, Overkill-generating, Poisonous-generating, Reborn-generating, Rush-generating, Stealth-generating, Taunt-generating|
This has different effects based on which game board you're on.
Oh, the places you'll go! There is so much to fight! There are boards to be explored. There are dreams to take flight.
How to get
Two copies of regular Transfer Student are automatically given to the player logging in from July 14 to October 20, 2020.
Both regular and golden Transfer Student are uncraftable (cannot be crafted or disenchanted).
List of possible effects
At the start of game, Transfer Student's effect is automatically replaced by one of the following ones, depending on the board.
Year of the Phoenix
Ashes of Outland
Year of the Dragon
Rise of Shadows
Saviors of Uldum
Saviors of Uldum - Uldum City
Descent of Dragons
Year of the Raven
Year of the Mammoth
Year of the Kraken
Pre-Year of the Kraken
Transfer Student's effect depends on the game's board, which is randomized at the start of the game and cannot be controlled by players. It can range from having a few keywords attached to completely changing the game, but it will always stay with a 2-mana 2/2 body without tribe synergy. It is very unreliable for Quests or synergy decks, as being able to contribute with your deck depends on having the right board. Due to each variant of Transfer Student being different for each battlefield, they have completely different uses. Some variants resemble existing minions, while others can be powercreeps or more reliable versions, and some are scaled-down equivalents of effects previously unique to Legendary minions. However, if your enemy understands Transfer Student's variants, they may be able to predict what it will be used for.
- Pandaria: A low-cost buff tool that grants +1/+2, equivalent to Divine Strength attached to a 2/2 body.
- Stormwind: A 2/2 with Divine Shield like Shielded Minibot, which can be used as an early-game target for buffing spells due to its survivability, but has no Mech synergy to make itself useful in other ways.
- Stranglethorn: A strong low-cost threat with Stealth and Poisonous, being an upgrade over Patient Assassin with +1/+1 and and Giant Wasp with a cost of 1 mana less.
- Orgrimmar: A stronger ping, which is comparable to Kobold Lackey but with +1/+1, or a stronger Blowgill Sniper or cheaper Stormpike Commando with less Attack.
- Curse of Naxxramas: An efficient Deathrattle minion equivalent to Shallow Gravedigger but with evened-out stats and 1 mana less.
- Goblins vs Gnomes: A later stage of Clockwork Gnome with an additional Battlecry or a scaled-down Toshley. The Spare Parts it generates can be useful for adapting your board or gaining a source of spell synergy.
- Blackrock Mountain: Transfer Student will be able to make your cards cheaper one at a time, which can change the game depending on which cards it chooses to cheapen.
- The Grand Tournament: Synergizes with both Hero Powers and card draw, essentially giving every hero an additional Soul Tap, which is useful for maintaining a steady supply of resources during the early game.
- Hall of Explorers: Transfer Student effectively becomes Sir Finley Mrrgglton, but two can be put in your deck. It can be used to adjust your Hero Power to the later state of the game or surprise your opponent.
- Excavation Site: Transfer Student will give you a random weapon from any class, which can range from being powerful to useless. Unlike Malkorok, it enables you to have a preview of your weapon or activate any weapon Battlecries, but you will have to pay for the weapon's mana cost.
- Whispers of the Old Gods: A Forbidden Shaping attached to a 2/2 body, but requires you to pay 2 mana more, causing the summoned minion to be cheaper than when using Forbidden Shaping. At 10 Mana, it can summon an 8-cost minion, which is a price with a range of useful minions.
- One Night in Karazhan: Transfer Student can give you either Maelstrom Portal, Silvermoon Portal, Ironforge Portal, Moonglade Portal or Firelands Portal. While inconsistent, each portal may have a good use to be played and can even summon a random minion for your board.
- Mean Streets of Gadgetzan: A simple, cheap handbuff. It mainly synergizes with the Grimy Goons classes: hunter, paladin and warrior, but it can also be used to strengthen Charge, Rush or Taunt minions.
- Journey to Un'Goro: An equivalent of Pterrordax Hatchling which costs 1 mana less. It can be used to choose an Adaptation to fit to the current board.
- Knights of the Frozen Throne: An equivalent of the Legendary Arfus which costs 2 mana less. All of the Death Knight spells have their own powerful uses, and can turn the tides of the game if played successfully.
- Kobolds and Catacombs: A cheap body that can Recruit a cheap minion from your deck. It isn't as useful as its other variants, but bringing out a component sooner can speed up combos or resources to fuel your late game.
- The Witchwood: A Hunting Mastiff with +1 health for itself and its Echo copies. Since it has no Beast synergy, it is mainly useful for clearing the enemy board.
- The Boomsday Project: While it normally starts as a 2/2 with Taunt, upon being played with full mana, it becomes a 2 mana 7/7 which can be played even quicker than its 4-cost counterparts.
- Rastakhan's Rumble: One of Transfer Student's least useful variants, unless it can benefit from the Rush and Overkill and draw cards, though its Witchwood and TGT equivalents can fit this purpose better. If it is buffed enough, it can synergize with BEEEES!!! to draw four cards.
- Rise of Shadows: An early Lackey generator, equivalent to EVIL Cable Rat with +1/+1.
- Saviors of Uldum: Has Shotbot's attributes and Reborn synergy.
- Uldum City: Transfer Student can give you either Plague of Madness, Plague of Flames, Plague of Murlocs, Plague of Wrath or Plague of Death. All of the Plagues can give you good removal and board control if you prepare the board before unleashing them.
- Descent of Dragons: Equivalent to a +1/+1 Draconic Lackey or Netherspite Historian without the condition, it works with synergy with holding Dragons.
- Ashes of Outland: A less useful variant as it keeps its 2/2 statline when its Dormant ends and it basically uses a slightly enhanced Cleave, which your opponent can easily play around.
- Home is where the wagon is.
- Take a trip!
- Transfer Student is the first card to directly interact with the otherwise cosmetic Battlefield.
- This is one of the few non-Legendary minions to feature entrance music, the others being Lowly Squire and Lance Carrier. However, Transfer Student's music is sampled from an in-game song and has a unique entry animation, akin to Legendary minions.
- Transfer Student has icons from other Blizzard Games on his bag, (Heroes of the Storm, Star Craft, WoW, Reaper from Overwatch)
- Transfer Student is the sixth card available in Play mode before the release of the expansion it belonged to.
- Transfer Student's flavor text references Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss.
- When Transfer Student was released in July 2020, the developers stated that when the card rotates out of Standard into Wild, it was planned that it would function as a "Discover a card from the set which the battlefield came from" for new battlefields and expansions to be released.
- Server-side patch (2020-07-31): On the new Scholomance Academy board, Transfer Student's Battlecry will now add a random class card to your hand. This effect will revert to adding a random Dual-Class card to your hand when the expansion unlocks on August 6.
- Patch 184.108.40.206261 (2020-07-14): Added.
- Chadd Nervig on reddit. (2020-07-14).
- Steve Watts (2020-07-17). GameSpot talks with Hearthstone game designers Chadd Nervig and Liv Breeden about the upcoming Scholomance Academy expansion.. GameSpot. Retrieved on 2020-08-02.