|Set:||Knights of the Frozen Throne|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Gain Armor, Replace Hero Power, Transform|
|Tags:||Area of effect, Cost-related, Hero Power-related, Random|
Battlecry: Transform your minions into random ones that cost (2) more.
"Do not be afraid. Approach. The dead will sleep… for now."
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Thrall, Deathseer||3200||1600|
Generated Hero Power[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Even at his relatively low cost of 5 Mana, Thrall, Deathseer has very strong potency. He's best used in an Evolve deck, synergizing with cards such as Master of Evolution, Nerubian Prophet, Doppelgangster and Thing from Below.
The results of Thrall's Battlecry can be extremely random; while sometimes you may hit the jackpot with minions such as The Lich King and Millhouse Manastorm, other times you may be stuck with useless high mana minions such as Big-Time Racketeer or C'Thun. However, his Hero Power, Transmute Spirit, can help offset this by transforming your minions that aren't worth what they should be at their Mana cost. Transmute Spirit, in addition to possibly upgrading a minion into one much more powerful, is a form of healing as the new minion is at full health. As such, it's wise to attack with a minion to reduce it to near-death, then Transmute it to bring it back to full health and possibly transform it into something much stronger. Just keep in mind that there's always the odds of having your minion transform into something lousy, so be prepared for that eventuality.
When used by a Shaman, Thrall loses his ability to summon Totems. Decks that are heavily based around Totems, decks that rely on the Spell Damage provided by Wrath of Air Totem, and decks that don't have a high minion count should steer clear of Thrall, Deathseer. For all other decks, Thrall, Deathseer is an excellent addition to help you maintain control of the board.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- I am the frozen heart of the Scourge!
Emotes[edit | edit source]
|Greetings||Welcome the cold embrace of death.|
|Well played||Well played.|
|Oops||A grave mistake.|
|Threaten||I will shatter you!|
|Attack||Elements, obey me!|
|Thinking ||The choice is mine alone.|
|Thinking ||The elements are silent...|
|Almost out of time||A path must be chosen!|
|Opening remark in Duel of the Death Knights||I am the frozen heart of the Scourge!|
|Concede||Take cold comfort in your victory.|
Lore[edit | edit source]
In the web comic Undeath Conquers All, a Pompous Thespian tells a tale of how Arthas Menethil and Jaina Proudmoore were corrupted into death knights of the Scourge and waged war against the living, causing the world to cry out for heroes to stand against them. Thrall answered the elements' call and began the long and perilous journey to Icecrown, while, across the sea, Uther Lightbringer tracked down his former student. Arthas and Jaina easily defeated Uther, but some time later they returned to the Frozen Throne, only to be ambushed by the now undead Uther, who yelled for them to die. He was interrupted by Thrall, who urged Arthas and Jaina to surrender and return to being the heroes they once were. However, he was swiftly silenced by a blast of magic which transformed him into a death knight as well. The now undead Thrall stated "As I was saying... surrender, or the elements will destroy you. Let us begin." The Pompous Thespian's story ends with a massive battle between the undead Jaina, Uther, and Thrall, with the moral of the story being that the Frozen Throne does not bring people together, but rather pits them against one another until only the strongest remains. After being offered more gold by the audience, the thespian reluctantly concedes that Jaina won.
The deathseer's pale blue color scheme suggests an association with the Frost death knight specialization.
- "Combining martial prowess with supernatural cold, frost death knights leave their enemies chilled to the bone—and broken of the will to fight. Unlike mages who learn to harness frost magic to great effect, these death knights are born of it, rime gripping their decaying hearts. These frozen undead warriors wield dual blades to strike with ferocity and inflict deathly cold upon anyone who would stand against them."
For more information, see Knights of the Frozen Throne.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Chillingly, the undead Thrall has painted a white skull mask on his own face. In orcish culture, this was a practice used by shaman to mark certain failed apprentices as "dead" to their people, notably used by the Void-corrupted pale orcs and the shaman Ner'zhul, who would one day become the first Lich King.
- Thrall, Deathseer underwent multiple redesigns during the development of Knights of the Frozen Throne. Some early names for the card include "Thrall, Voodoo Master" and "Thrall, Frost King", with some early effects being "Battlecry: Corrupt your Hero Power." and "Battlecry: Summon two Ice Guardians".
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.12457 (2017-08-08): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Cam Shea (2017-07-08). Hearthstone's Frozen Throne: Everything Blizzard Would Tell Us - IGN - Page 2. Retrieved on 2017-07-31.
- Designing Hearthstone's Death Knights - IGN. (2017-09-14). Retrieved on 2017-09-14.