Thing from Below
|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
|Abilities:||Increment attribute, Modify cost, Taunt|
|Tags:||In-hand effect, Ongoing effect, Totem-related|
Taunt. Costs (1) less for each Totem you've summoned this game.
Just can't resist the opportunity to hang around with a bunch of totems.
- For the event version of this card, see Thing from Below (Event).
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Thing from Below||100||20|
|Golden Thing from Below||800||100|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The mana cost of this card is reduced by 1 for each time the controlling player has summoned a Totem that game.
- The cost reduction of this card is not dependent on how the Totem was summoned (played from the hand, re-played after being returned to the hand, summoned by a Hero Power like Totemic Call or by summon effects like Tuskarr Totemic's Battlecry).
- The cost reduction of this card is not dependent on the card being in the player's hand or deck or even on the card existing at the time the Totem is summoned.
- Example: A Thing from Below generated by Unstable Portal takes into account prior Totem summons (if any) and immediately has its cost reduced.
- Example: Returning a Thing from Below to the hand will cause its cost to immediately be reduced by the number of Totems the player has summoned that game (including those summoned while it was in the battlefield).
- The mana cost of this card cannot be reduced below 0. However, further cost-reductions can help in countering cost-increasing effects like Freezing Trap.
- This card has an in-hand effect: it modifies its own mana cost only while in the player's hand, and not while the card is anywhere else.
- Example: If you played 5 Totems so far this game, a Thing from Below in your deck will not be removed by Hemet, Jungle Hunter since the mana cost of Thing from Below is not modified while it is in your deck. However, as soon as you draw a Thing from Below, its mana cost will be immediately reduced by 5.
- If the Totem played is destroyed immediately, it is not counted for this card's cost reduction. This may be a bug.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Thing from Below is a powerful card in Totem-based decks, but even in almost any other Shaman deck it's still powerful; with the mana cost reduction it is often possible to play Thing from Below for near to zero mana. The sturdy body and its Taunt effect can create a massive tempo swing in the Shaman's favor.
Because this card synergizes with all friendly Totem-summoning, not only the use of Totemic Call, it can even be used with cards that replace hero powers while still gaining a good discount. Thing from Below is very powerful in Even Shaman decks, which speeds up its cost reduction thanks to the reduced hero power cost.
It can also be used in Evolve Shaman decks to create a 7-mana minion, while still being useful on its own if you don't have anything to transform it with.
Lore[edit | edit source]
While the term "thing from below" would fit quite well for most of the creations of the Old Gods, the origins of this particular creature are unknown.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card was initially suspected to be an April Fools, due to its being revealed on April 1, 2016.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.16874 (2016-04-24): Added.