|Set:||One Night in Karazhan|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Put into hand, Taunt|
|Tags:||Beast-related, Dragon-related, Murloc-related|
Battlecry: Draw a Beast, Dragon, and Murloc from your deck.
The Curator guards Azeroth’s deadliest creatures, but it’s secretly terrified of squirrels.
- For the boss, see The Curator (boss).
- For the event version of this card, see The Curator (Event).
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden The Curator||3200||1600|
Fixed bugs[edit | edit source]
- Until Patch 7.1, this card did not interact with on-draw triggers such as Chromaggus.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The Curator works best with a Zoo deck or "menagerie" deck designed to benefit from this reasonably powerful, late-midrange-focused Legendary, ideally placing a random Dragon, Murloc and Beast from your deck into your hand. Its base stats are unimpressive for a 7-drop, but its Taunt allows it to provide some protection for the minions drawn. Alternatively, it's used to draw key dragon, beast, or murloc card more reliably.
The Curator can support a wide variety of strategies, and works particularly well with midrange/control staples of the appropriate types which favor a heavy field or large hand size, like Stampeding Kodo, Twilight Drake, Primordial Drake, Murloc Knight, and Mukla's Champion. It can also be used to grab powerful late-game control finishers like Ysera, Onyxia, Malygos, Chromaggus, and Nefarian. It purposefully synergizes with its fellow One Night in Karazhan wing rewards Zoobot, Menagerie Magician and Menagerie Warden to boost the cards it finds. Including only a single minion of a type results in a guaranteed draw of the card if it remains in the deck; this strategy can be very powerful, though it reduces total stat-boosting synergy with other potential menagerie cards in the deck overall.
The Curator also has somewhat of a synergy with Prince Malchezaar. There is a good chance to draw a legendary Dragon since most of them are Neutral, plus a smaller chance to draw a Legendary beast, moreso for Hunters and Druids. However, the generated legendaries are random and may not even generate any legendary of the three types, using the Curator solely for this purpose is unwise.
Having Brann Bronzebeard in play potentially doubles the draw advantage and may be an especially powerful combination. Effects like Spirit of the Dead, Lab Recruiter, and Dead Man's Hand also allow a potentially ridiculous amount of draw, making this one of the more powerful cards for sheer card advantage if enough cards of the three minion types are present in the deck.
The Curator can draw Nightmare Amalgam for any of the three types, if there are two or more copies of Nightmare Amalgam, it might be drawn twice or even three times. This allows for synergies with Dire Frenzy, and potentially also Deathwing, Dragonlord.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- The Menagerie is for guests only.
- Do not touch.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- "The third level of Karazhan is Medivh's prized Menagerie. Creatures from all over the world are gathered and penned up here and tended to by the massive mechanical Curator. Now, without Medivh, the Curator's programming has gone haywire. Instead of keeping the creatures in their cages, he's just letting them loose! It's really just one flipped bit. You will have to reprogram the Curator, and he will help you wrangle the escaped creatures, so you can move up through the tower."
In World of Warcraft[edit | edit source]
- "This curator is equipped for gallery protection."
- The Curator is an Arcane Guardian boss in the Menagerie in Karazhan. It is not optional; raids wanting to kill the bosses behind it must first defeat The Curator. The encounter is not difficult to learn, but is (for new raids) a rather hard gear check. A raid able to defeat this boss is in principle equipped well enough to clear the whole instance, save perhaps Nightbane and Prince Malchezaar.
- Most of the fight consists of two alternating phases: a 90 second Flare Phase followed by a 20 second Evocation Phase. Once the Curator's health drops below 15% it does a soft enrage, stops summoning Flares and Evocating, but instead increases melee attack speed and Hateful Bolt frequency. 10 minutes after the pull the Curator does a hard enrage and wipes the raid very quickly.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20621 (2016-08-09): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Special Hearthstone Announcement at ChinaJoy. (2016-07-28).