Datamining accuracy[edit source]
I've carefully listened to the dialogue on multiple playthroughs of all 4 lines of play and have not heard two of the Jaina lines that were listed in the Dialogue section (now called Transcript):
- Jaina: You'll regret that!
- Jaina: Ha! Now go for the throat!
They also don't appear in the YouTube videos I've seen. Perhaps early lines that were removed? Or belonging to another boss - I'll check back once I get to later ones. Also, I matched Hogger's up as best I could but a number of his sounds don't seem to have a good written match, especially the "whimpering" ones. Are some missing? Are the strings that were listed here out of date? Anyway, transcript is still quite accurate so no big deal I guess. - jerodast (talk) 07:35, 17 February 2015 (UTC)
- You can find the strings yourself in the Hearthstone folder -> Strings -> EnUS -> TUTORIAL_AUDIO.txt, along with a wealth of other interesting things. There are only 8 for Hogger himself, all of which I included here. I've been keeping the strings since January 2014, and the only changes to these ones since then have been to add the Naxx strings.
- The tags for the Jaina quotes are very clearly "TUTORIAL01" along with the Hogger quotes, so it seems most likely either you haven't found a way to trigger them, or they were taken out, which wouldn't be too surprising. -- Taohinton (talk) 17:01, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
- Cool thanks for explaining the strings. It just occurred to me that I'd expect there to be an accessibility mode where the dialogue would be subtitled, so I could at least match up the Hogger strings as intended, but I can't seem to find one. Oh well, it's just gnoll grunting :) - jerodast (talk) 17:21, 18 February 2015 (UTC)
Tutorial playthroughs[edit source]
Since you can't replay the tutorial, I think it would be nice if we could find some playthroughs / longplays of it. Unfortunately some of the videos posted online have commentary, extra music or are in language other than English. The video linked for Hogger part of the tutorial is not in widescreen format while e.g.  doesn't show the cursor.
- I've had the same thought, in general. A little while ago I took some time to record a long playthrough of the first few tutorials, but a) I got distracted by other things and b) I've never actually uploaded to YouTube before, so they're still sitting on my hard drive somewhere. Maybe this Saturday I'll see what I got.
- Is having the mouse cursor that important? All the targeting arrows and other "hover" effects seem to be present in the one you linked. In fact if I'd seen this one I probably wouldn't have bothered recording my own.
- By the way, you get to/have to replay the tutorial again if you start on a new region (no need to make a new account), or if you use a second account (with its full set of 3 regions). That's what I used when I did my recordings.
- - jerodast (talk) 17:33, 25 May 2015 (UTC)
- Having a cursor visible is not that important, it's just something I noticed. The player wasn't making the smartest decisions either, so if someone thinks they can learn some "strategy" from his tutorial playthrough, they're in for a surprise :-) There's also a chanve he was trying to prolong the inevitable - him defeating the tutorial bosses - to show more of the tutorial.
- I know I can start in another region, saying 'you can't replay the tutorial' was just an awful, misleading shorthand for what I was trying to say, sorry about this. Still, if I just want to see e.g. Transcendence in action, a video recording is best.
- -- Karol007 (talk) 22:50, 25 May 2015 (UTC)
- No need to apologize! Most people don't multi-region and it's totally legitimate to say (and very common to complain) that it's not replayable. I just meant to point out multi-regioning as a useful option for creating documentation.
- Unfortunately some RL stuff is getting in the way of taking care of those vids for the next few weeks, but I completely support your goals, like seeing Transcendance in action. As to the bad plays, I actually did the same thing to prolong the fight and see as much of the boss decks as possible :) Maybe they should come with a disclaimer! - jerodast (talk) 00:13, 28 May 2015 (UTC)
- Just to add my feedback, I agree this would be nice to feature, although I'll probably never get round to it myself ;) -- Taohinton (talk) 05:22, 28 May 2015 (UTC)
- Not sure I understand, is there a problem with linking to somebody's vidoes on youtube?
- Jaina Poudmoore vs Hogger
- Jaina Proudmoore vs Millhouse Manastorm
- Jaina Proudmoore vs Lorewalker Cho
- Jaina Proudmoore vs King Mukla
- Jaina Proudmoore vs Hemet Nesingwary
- Jaina Proudmoore vs Illidan Stormrage
- These look fine. I've added them to the corresponding pages.
- My attitude to video links is related to their purpose. If they add information and value to the article, they're a good thing and should be welcomed - with some limits. We shouldn't be using third-party (or even Curse) videos instead of writing a proper article, and videos shouldn't generally come before the article itself. The wiki also isn't a notice-board for self-promotion, and shouldn't end up as a list of streamers' videos. Videos should add specifically informative and irreplaceable content. -- Taohinton (talk) 22:21, 3 June 2015 (UTC)