Spell damage interaction
The page says that spell damage keeps applying on recasts even after the minion granting it dies. I am not sure if that is actually correct; I think I remember seeing (on Twitch) streamers play defile and it doing 2 damage at first then later only 1. I do not have this card so I hope someone else can test.
Based on some other interactions I have seen, I tihnk there are three possible scenarios:
- Spell damage stops when minion with spell damage is destroyed
- Spell damage as computed at start remains the same throughout all recasts
- Spell damage applied one more time when minion with spell damage is destroyed, then stops.
- This sounds weird but it would be on par with the Scavenging Hyena interaction (listed in the known bugs section)
- This video shows that the Spell Damage minion has to be Immune in order to have a constant Spell Damage for Defile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0II_uz5UwAc TheGamer765 (talk) 11:17, 23 August 2017 (UTC)
Cause of bug (speculation)
Based on the observed buggy behaviour with Scavenging Hyena + one or more lower-health beasts, I have a theory about the possible cause.
Explanation based on one 2-2 Scavenging Hyena + two 1-health beasts (Alleycat + Tabbeycat) (Copied from https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearthstone/topic/20758488432#post-5)
When Defile is cast and two cats die, five events are added to the queue, and I think they are added in this order:
1) Because Alleycat is at zero health: Resolve death
2) Because Tabbeycat is at zero health: Resolve death
3) Because (at least) one minion got to zero health: Recast Defile
Event 1 is then handled. Alleycat has no deathrattle, but it is a beast and Hyena is alive (1 health), so a new event is added:
4) Buff Hyena
Event 2 is similar, and again a new event is added:
5) Buff Hyena (again)
Then event 3 is handled. Only one minion is left and because the buffs are still in the queue the Hyena is now damaged from 2-1 to 2-0. Two new events enter the queue:
6) Because Hyena is at zero health: Resolve death
7) Because (at least) one minion got to zero health: Recast Defile
Events 4 and 5 now trigger. The validity of buffing Hyena was checked when these events were entered on the queue, they are not checked again. So Hyena is buffed from 2-0 to 4-1 and then to 6-2. No new events are added.
Event 6 looks at Hyena and notices that he is no longer at zero health, he was revived from death by other events that were earlier on the queue. Hearthstone cancels this event.
Event 7 is still on the queue though, and Defile is cast once more, damaging Hyena from 6-2 to 6-1. No new events are added, and the game waits for the player to play their next card.