Swamp King Dred
|Set:||Journey to Un'Goro|
|Tags:||Summoning-related, Triggered effect|
After your opponent plays a minion, attack it.
Swamp King Dred, more like Swamp King Dead, amiright?
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Swamp King Dred||1600||400|
|Golden Swamp King Dred||3200||1600|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Stealthed minions will be attacked by Swamp King Dred when played.
- If Swamp King Dred attacks cards with affects like Water Elemental and Snowchugger through its own effect, Swamp King Dred will become frozen.
- If Swamp King Dred is frozen, it will not attack minions.
- Taunt has no effect on Swamp King Dred's triggered attacks. Dred will attack minions played regardless of any minions with Taunt on the board.
- Swamp King Dred triggers during the After Play Phase of the summoning sequence, which follows the Battlecry Phase and all subsequent death processing. Therefore, if Swamp King Dred is not in play when the opponent plays a Battlecry minion, but is summoned as a result of the Battlecry, it will trigger and attack the Battlecry minion.
- Example: Dirty Rat is played, putting an enemy Swamp King Dred into play with its Battlecry. Swamp King Dred attacks the Dirty rat and kills it.
- Example: Blackwing Corruptor kills a Giant Anaconda with its Battlecry. The Giant Anaconda's Deathrattle puts Swamp King Dred into play. Swamp King Dred then attacks and kills the Corruptor.
- As with most triggered effects that occur in the same phase, multiple Swamp King Dreds will trigger in the order they were played.
- Example: Multiple Swamp King Dreds are in play. Many enemy minions are played. The earliest Dred played attacks and kills the minions each time. Once the earliest one dies, the next earliest Dred becomes the one to attack the new minions, and so on.
- Swamp King Dred's triggered effect only causes an attack if, after previous effects are resolved, the triggering minion is still a minion and has not received lethal damage.
- Swamp King Dred's attacks are affected by minions such as Mayor Noggenfogger or Mogor the Ogre. If those are in play, Dred will attack a random enemy character whenever the opponent plays a minion. .
Strategy[edit | edit source]
With its immense size (9/9) for mere 7 mana, this minion can be devastating. Its triggered effect activates after the opponent plays a minion, causing Swamp King Dred to immediately attack that minion whatever it was, even if it's Stealthed. This will make it difficult for the opponent to build their board while Dred is in play.
Some caution is warranted when playing this minion however. Dred is particularly vulnerable to Poisonous minions played by your opponent, destroying it for a typically less cost than hard removal. They can also play Deathrattle minions that are normally hard to activate to kill it instantly, such as Devilsaur Egg and Hadronox. When a minion with Divine Shield is played, Dred will attack, removing the shield but leaving the minion alive, which can result in a bad trade.
Minions that are summoned but not played will not be attacked by Dred. Example, the opponent plays Animal Companion; the summoned minion will not be attacked by Dred.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- From the World of Warcraft Adventure Guide
- King Dred is a legend amongst the Drakkari. Stories tell of a troll hunting party locating a mighty beast that thrived in a habitat saturated with Scourge plague. The trolls tamed the devilsaur, believing that he alone held an antidote for the savage disease devastating their people.
How this version of Dred ended up in Un'Goro Crater is unclear.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This minion's triggered effect is reminiscent of the Auto-Attack ability encountered in various Tavern Brawls and the Chess encounter in One Night in Karazhan, in that it attacks enemies without the player having control over the action.
- This card is inspired by Ultimate Tyranno from Yu-Gi-Oh![verification requested]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20636 (2017-04-04) Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- HysteriA (2017-04-06). Hearthstone Mythbusters 30 - UNGORO SPECIAL.
- lastgameontheleft (2017-04-08). Un'Goro Swamp King Dred Interactions Hearthstone.
- Disguised Toast (2017-04-06). [Hearthstone] 8 NEW INTERACTIONS from Journey to Un'Goro (King Mosh, Time Warp, Swamp King Dred) at 1:10.
-  Hearthstone Mythbusters 33 - YouTube