|Set:||Knights of the Frozen Throne|
|Tags:||Battlefield-related, Beast-generating, Taunt-generating|
Summon a 1/5 Scarab with Taunt. If your opponent has more minions, cast this again.
In the past, plagues were spread by mice or fleas. These days they're spread by elves.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Spreading Plague can be obtained through Knights of the Frozen Throne card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Spreading Plague can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Spreading Plague||800||100|
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Spreading Plague causes itself to be cast repeatedly, these additional "recasts" will not count as having been cast by the controlling player, and will therefore not trigger effects such as those of Gadgetzan Auctioneer nor add to the spell count of Yogg-Saron, Hope's End.
- The printed card text is slightly ambiguous; it should be interpreted as "Summon a 1/5 Scarab with Taunt. If your opponent has more minions than you have, cast this again." Although, as Hearthstone is a single player game in which you are always playing against a single opponent, this "slight ambiguity" is highly debatable. Therefore, card designers most likely thought adding "than you have" in the card text would be redundant information.
- If your opponent has a Sherazin, Seed it does not trigger a "recast".
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Spreading Plague is best played when your enemy has many more minions than you do, since it can quickly flood your board with 1/5 Taunt minions for a reasonable cost. Avoid playing it when you have equal or more minions than your opponent, as summoning a single 1/5 Taunt minion for 6 Mana is extremely cost-inefficient.
Having multiple 1/5 taunts is enough to stall a few turns. Their 1 attack isn't great, but having 5 health allows them to be durable. This is especially helpful against aggro decks that flood the board with cheap minions that have low Attack and Health.
Spreading Plague synergizes well with Strongshell Scavenger; even at 10 Mana, a board filled with 3/7 Taunt minions is a strong play.
In Taunt-specific decks, this card works well with Crypt Lord, as it will gain +1 health for each minion summoned. Summoned minions can also be revived with the effect of Hadronox; while more impressive Taunt minions such as The Lich King are generally preferred, there are situations where it will be more beneficial to summon a large mix of weak and strong Taunt minions rather than one or two powerful Taunt minions. Each Scarab Beetle summoned with Spreading Plague is a beast, meaning they synergize well with Druid cards such as Menagerie Warden and Mark of Y'Shaarj.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.19970 (2017-09-18): Now costs 6 mana. (Up from 5)
- Patch 188.8.131.5257 (2017-08-08): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Place on Twitter. (2017-07-28).