|Set:||Knights of the Frozen Throne|
|Tags:||Battlefield-related, Beast-generating, Taunt-generating|
Summon a 1/5 Scarab with Taunt. If your opponent has more minions, cast this again.
In the past, plagues were spread by mice or fleas. These days they're spread by elves.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Spreading Plague can be obtained through Knights of the Frozen Throne card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Spreading Plague can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Spreading Plague||800||100|
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If Spreading Plague causes itself to be cast repeatedly, these additional "recasts" will not count as having been cast by the controlling player, and will therefore not trigger effects such as those of Gadgetzan Auctioneer nor add to the spell count of Yogg-Saron, Hope's End.
- If your opponent has a permanent, such as Sherazin, Seed, it does not trigger a "recast".
- The condition that determines whether to cast Spreading Plague again is re-evaluated after summoning each Scarab and resolving the resulting triggers. For example, if you only have a Knife Juggler and your opponent has three minions with 1 health, and your first summoned Scarab causes your Knife Juggler to kill an enemy minion, you will not get a second Scarab, since you and your opponent now both have two minions.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Spreading Plague is best played when your enemy has many more minions than you do, since it can quickly flood your board with 1/5 taunt minions for a reasonable cost. Avoid playing it when you have equal or more minions than your opponent, as summoning a single 1/5 Taunt minion for 6 mana is extremely cost-inefficient.
Having multiple 1/5 taunts is often enough to stall a few turns. Their 1 attack isn't great, but having 5 health allows them to be durable. Although this is especially helpful against aggro decks that tend to flood the board with small minions, it should be noted that stalling with no plans of potential stabilization is often not the best play. Instead, it should be considered to hold on to Spreading Plague until a winning position can be achieved immediately after.
Spreading Plague synergizes well with Strongshell Scavenger; even at 10 mana, a board filled with 3/7 taunt minions is a strong play.
In taunt-specific decks, this card works well with Crypt Lord, as it will gain +1 health for each minion summoned. Summoned minions can also be revived with the effect of Hadronox; while more impressive taunt minions such as The Lich King are generally preferred, there are situations where it will be more beneficial to summon a large mix of weak and strong taunt minions rather than one or two powerful ones.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20670 (2017-09-18): Now costs 6 mana. (Up from 5)
- Patch 220.127.116.1157 (2017-08-08): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Place on Twitter. (2017-07-28).