|Abilities:||Increment attribute, Modify cost|
|Tags:||Ongoing effect, Spell-related|
|Artist:||Alex Horley Orlandelli|
Your spells cost (1) less.
Apprentices are great for bossing around. "Conjure me some mana buns! And a coffee! Make that a mana coffee!"
How to get[edit | edit source]
Sorcerer's Apprentice can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Sorcerer's Apprentice can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Sorcerer's Apprentice||400||50|
Strategy[edit | edit source]
With good stats for its cost and a special effect highly relevant to a mage, the Sorcerer's Apprentice makes for a useful addition to any spell-oriented deck. It is most commonly seen in tempo-focused decks which seize board control in the early game, not allowing the opponent to recover.
Notably it reduces the mana cost of both Arcane Missiles and Mirror Image to 0, and Frostbolt and Flamecannon to 1, allowing a mage to control the board and still have mana left to play minions. Multiple Sorcerer's Apprentice can be combined to enable powerful combos, such as infinite Fireballs from Archmage Antonidas.
This card's ability makes it a soft taunt in most situations, making it a good idea to protect it with a Taunt, as most opponent players will try to remove it at the earliest opportunity. However, in the late game it is generally less valuable and therefore less of a target, due to the larger pool of available mana and usually smaller hand size.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Some day I'll be just like you!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Through the Dark Portal" series, for the card Arcane Power.
- "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is a poem by Goethe written in 1797. It is perhaps best known because of the classical piece composed by Paul Dukas, which was used in the 1940 Disney movie Fantasia.
Speculation[edit | edit source]
- This card is often considered to depict Kinndy Sparkshine, an apprentice of Jaina Proudmoore who was killed in the bombing of Theramore. However, Kinndy is described as having bright pink hair, bound up in ponytails, as opposed to this gnome's red, braided hair.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5290 (2013-10-02): Now has 3 attack, up from 2.
- Previously: Your spells cost (1) less. [2 mana, 2 attack, 2 health, Common]