|Abilities:||Deal damage, Secret|
|Tags:||Summoning-related, Triggered effect|
Secret: After your opponent plays a minion, deal 4 damage to it.
A great sniper hits the spot. Just like a delicious flank of boar. Mmmmm.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Like the other Secrets that trigger when your opponent plays a minion from their hand (Mirror Entity, Sacred Trial, Repentance), Snipe triggers in the After Play Phase following the Battlecry Phase. This means that all effects and death processing related to the minion's Battlecry resolve before the game queues and resolves Secrets such as Snipe. For example, if you play a Twilight Drake into Snipe, it will gain Health from its Battlecry before Snipe triggers and deals 4 damage.
- Snipe, Sacred Trial, Mirror Entity, Repentance and Potion of Polymorph all trigger in order of play.
- Snipe does not trigger if the minion is mortally wounded/pending destroy, such as from Sacred Trial or Mirror Entity + Knife Juggler.
- Repentance still triggers if Snipe mortally wounds the minion before it.
- Mirror Entity does not trigger if Snipe mortally wounds the minion before it.
- Sacred Trial still triggers if Snipe mortally wounds the minion before it. (This is probably a bug.)
- Snipe will trigger on the sheep made by Potion of Polymorph if Snipe was played second. Conversely, Potion of Polymorph will not trigger if Snipe mortally wounded the minion first.
- Snipe, like all other Secrets that directly deal damage, is affected by Spell Damage and Prophet Velen.
- Snipe will no longer be offered for selection in Arena, since the 15th of September 2016. However, it is still obtainable in Arena matches through random effects, such as Spellslinger.
Fixed bugs[edit | edit source]
- Before Patch 7.1, Snipe triggered if the minion was mortally wounded/pending destroy, such as from Sacred Trial or Mirror Entity + Knife Juggler.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Snipe is a useful early-mid game Secret. The amount of damage it deals for its cost lets it take out most 3-mana or less minions as soon as they're played. It is best played in the early-mid game due to the fact that it essentially allows your opponent to react to it so cannot be used with a follow-up for a guaranteed kill on one of their big minions (anything with more than 4 Health). A downside is that its power scales off late game because it won't be able to one-shot stronger minions.
Arguably Snipe's greatest asset is its ability to remove minions that rely on end-of-turn triggered effects and stop combos that rely on playing a minion first, such as Ethereal Arcanist, Cloaked Huntress, and Quest Rogues that need to play a minion before returning it to their hand.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "War of the Ancients" series, for the card Delinar Silvershot.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 220.127.116.1120 (2017-02-28): Now correctly triggers after Potion of Polymorph.
- Patch 18.104.22.16851 (2016-03-14): Now reads "After your opponent" instead of "When your opponent".
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8u2Senk_XU (Read the description)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpwrQkFoPx0 Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12433 (LoE patch)
- Hearthside Chat: Upcoming Arena Changes with Dean Ayala. (2016-09-08).