|Tags:||Beast-generating, Combat-related, Triggered effect|
Secret: When one of your minions is attacked, summon three 1/1 Snakes.
Why did it have to be snakes?
How to get[edit | edit source]
Snake Trap can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Snake Trap can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Snake Trap||1600||400|
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Each player can only have 7 minions on their side of the battlefield at any time. If this Secret tries to summon Snakes beyond this limit, any excess Snakes will be lost. It will not trigger if the board is full.
- Snake Trap triggers on the same step in the attack sequence as Freezing Trap, Misdirection, Explosive Trap, Forgetful effects, and several other Secrets. Therefore, all such effects occur in order of play.
- Unlike Misdirection and Freezing Trap, Snake Trap will activate normally even if the attacker is neutralized by another effect before Snake Trap activates.
- For instance, if Snake Trap is played after Freezing Trap, an attacker might be returned to the hand but still cause the snakes to be summoned. If those snakes trigger a Knife Juggler, the knives cannot hit the returned attacker.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Snake Trap combos excellently with Knife Juggler, potentially triggering the minion to throw 3 knives when the trap is triggered. If the knives hit the attacking minion itself, it can even be destroyed mid-attack, preventing it from dealing damage to its target. However, the opponent can still remove the Knife Juggler using a spell or other effect without triggering the Secret.
Snake Trap also works well in conjunction with Starving Buzzard. If you are able to get your opponent to trigger Snake Trap while Starving Buzzard is on the field, you will draw 3 cards. You can also use Snake Trap in conjunction with Scavenging Hyena, sacrificing your Snakes by attacking enemy minions in order to buff your Scavenging Hyena with up to +6/+3; or with King of Beasts for an easy +3 Attack boost.
The weak minions provided by the trap can be useful for synergies such as Frostwolf Warlord and ongoing effects like Raid Leader, but are weak against AoE like Wild Pyromancer and can even work against you in the case of the opponent playing Unleash the Hounds.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Snake Trap is a glyphed hunter ability which places a trap at the target location. When triggered, it releases several venomous snakes which will move toward and attack nearby targets, applying a Crippling Poison that reduces movement speed. The snakes last for up to 15 seconds before expiring.
Previous bugs[edit | edit source]
- Prior to Patch 184.108.40.20633 (LoE patch), Snake Trap had a bug that allowed it to activate even if your board was full.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The flavour text "Why did it have to be snakes?" is a quotation from the movie Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Servants of the Betrayer" series, for the card Snake Trap.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Hearthstone Laboratory (2015-12-19). [Hearthstone Laboratory] Snake Trap vs Noble Sacrifice.
- PattuX (2015-12-2). [Hearthstone] Snake trap is now high priority trigger.
- Patashu (2015-5-29). [Hearthstone Science] various Ogre Brute and Traps interactions.