|Set:||Mean Streets of Gadgetzan|
|Tags:||Ongoing effect, Weapon-related|
Has +2 Attack while you have a weapon equipped.
"Oh, I'm not serious about it. I only pirate on the weekends."
How to get[edit | edit source]
Small-Time Buccaneer can be obtained through Mean Streets of Gadgetzan card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Small-Time Buccaneer can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Small-Time Buccaneer||800||100|
Strategy[edit | edit source]
An excellent one-drop for Rogues even if their deck is not Pirate-focused, who can use their Hero Power to boost the Small-Time Buccaneer into a 3/1.
Other classes should be using a Pirate tribal deck before playing this minion. Pirate Warrior is a very strong alternative, with multiple weapons and weapon-generating cards that activate the Small-Time Buccaneer's effect.
Much like the Southsea Deckhand, be careful not to miss damage by using up your last weapon charge, as the minion's bonus Attack effect will then deactivate.
With its health reduced to 1, Small Time Buccaneer is a decent card if used with Patches the Pirate but it's now substantially weaker as it is vulnerable to the Mage, Druid, and Rogue Hero Powers as well as spells such as Mortal Coil and Moonfire, with the consequence that it can be removed very easily before you could even equip a weapon for its +2 Attack.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Who goes tharr?
- Ummm... hmm.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Small-Time Buccaneer was always a neutral card, but changed about five or six times throughout the design process. One of his iterations had him as a 1 mana 1/2 that gained a permanent +2 Attack buff whenever the player equipped a weapon. This caused problems with the Rogue Hero Power, Dagger Mastery, as the Rogue could sometimes use their Hero Power three times in three consecutive turns and cause their Small-Time Buccaneer to become a 7/2 minion, which was deemed to be too powerful.
- The earliest known version of Small-Time Buccaneer was a card known as "Swashbuckler", a 1 mana 1/1 minion with "Battlecry: Gain +1/+1 for each Attack of your weapon."
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.19920 (2017-02-28): Now has 1 Health (Down from 2).
- Patch 188.8.131.5290 (2016-11-29): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Cam Shea (2017-01-11). IGN - Hearthstone: The many iterations of Small-Time Buccaneer. Retrieved on 2017-01-13.
- Cam Shea (2017-01-12). IGN - Hearthstone: Blizzard on designing Jade, testing red mana and leaving Reno behind. Retrieved on 2017-01-13.