Skull of the Man'ari
|Set:||Kobolds and Catacombs|
|Abilities:||Put into battlefield|
|Tags:||Demon-related, Random, Triggered effect|
At the start of your turn, summon a Demon from your hand.
Don't trust the skull.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Skull of the Man'ari||1600||400|
|Golden Skull of the Man'ari||3200||1600|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This card activates its effect before a card is drawn at the start of turn.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This card offers tremendous value to decks that run multiple high-cost demons. As long as this remains equipped, it summons a demon from your hand for free, which will more than pay for itself over time. It doesn't activate the Battlecry of the summoned demon when this occurs, which means demons with negative Battlecries like Doomguard gain more value out of it. Another benefit of summoning demons for free is that it can be used to enable combos; namely a Doomguard with Spiritsinger Umbra, Carnivorous Cube, and Dark Pact lets you deal 25 damage for 10 mana.
As a downside, it conflicts with demons that have good Battlecries like Hooked Reaver and Azari, the Devourer. The weapon is also particularly vulnerable to removal; if the opponent immediately plays a weapon removal the following turn, it simply wastes mana.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- What do you ask of me?
- All will serve!
- What mess have you summoned me to?
- Effect triggering
- Good demons are hard to find.
This one will prove very useful! Probably.
Hehe, there is a method to my madness.
- Not like this!
Lore[edit | edit source]
The Skull of the Man'ari is the artifact weapon for Demonology warlocks in World of Warcraft: Legion. It is the sentient, talking skull of Thal'kiel, who was once a great sorcerer of the eredar people of the planet Argus before he was killed on the orders of the eredar leadership for consorting with demons and attempting to install himself as the sole dictator of Argus. Thal'kiel's skull was kept by his apprentice and killer, Archimonde, and after Archimonde and most of the eredar joined the demonic Burning Legion, the skull continued to be used to summon and control vast armies of demons.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Along with Aluneth, this was the first weapon to feature voice lines.
- The card art for Skull of the Man'ari appears to depict the "Pride of the Pitlord" artifact appearance available for the skull in World of Warcraft, rather than the skull's default artifact appearance. The reason for this is unknown.
- The Skull of the Man'ari's flavour text is a reference to the 1999 video game Planescape: Torment, in which the main character receives the same ominous warning about his own morally ambiguous, floating skull companion, Morte.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 10.0.0.22611 (2017-12-06): Added.