Sir Finley Mrrgglton
|Set:||The League of Explorers|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Discover, Replace Hero Power|
|Voice actor:||Terrence Stone|
Battlecry: Discover a new basic Hero Power.
In addition to fluent Common, he also speaks fourteen dialects of 'mrgl'.
- For other representations of Sir Finley, see Sir Finley (disambiguation).
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Sir Finley Mrrgglton||1600||400|
|Golden Sir Finley Mrrgglton||3200||1600|
Possible Hero Powers[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This card's Discover effect allows the player to replace their Hero Power with one of three randomly selected basic Hero Powers.
- Sir Finley Mrrgglton will not offer the basic Hero Power corresponding to your current Hero Power's class as one of the three choices. The excluded option is not affected by your class or hero, but only by your Hero Power's class (for a list of each Hero Power's class, see Player Hero Powers).
- As with all Discover effects, the player must choose one of the Hero Powers offered: they cannot choose to simply keep their current Hero Power.
- Adventure bosses will try not to play Sir Finley Mrrgglton, in order to avoid replacing their Hero Power. This may be designed to prevent players cheesing encounters using the card.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The key factor for strategy with this card is RNG. With a 3/8 (37.5%) chance of getting any particular Hero Power, it is hard to rely on obtaining the Power you want. However, if several possibilities provide useful synergy with your deck - or the needs of the moment - it can be a reasonable play.
Can be used early game in a Shaman deck to get a more consistent hero power.
Can be used to try to save yourself from lethal, with the Druid, Warrior and Priest Hero Powers granting Health/Armor, and the possibility of getting a Stoneclaw Totem from the Shaman Hero Power. Can provide 1/2 extra damage for lethal, through the Druid, Mage, Hunter and Rogue Hero Powers.
Consider adding Justicar Trueheart for late game or control decks, but remember not to play Sir Finley after playing Justicar, because that will reset your improved Hero Power to a basic one.
Very useful for control or mill-based Warlock decks, as Life Tap is the only Hero Power that can ever become completely worthless (once your deck is depleted it does nothing except cause you to take even more damage).
Can be very useful in Murloc-based Paladin decks as Reinforce can block the minions summoned by Murloc Knight (the main reason to play a Murloc-Paladin deck) due to the 7 minion limit. Also this minion offers synergy with Murloc decks in general with his solid 1 cost and reasonably tough stats for a Murloc of its cost.
Probability analysis[edit | edit source]
Players can evaluate the likely usefulness of Sir Finley based on how many Hero Powers would accomplish certain goals.
The following chances listed assume the player has a Basic Hero Power but does not already have one of the Basic Hero Powers they are looking for; if they do the chances of finding a certain Hero Power would decrease since that Hero Power would have no chance of being offered by Sir Finley:
- Five Hero Powers (95.2%): Deal 1 damage to attackable opponent (Demon Hunter, Druid, Mage, Rogue, Hunter)
- Four Hero Powers (88.1%): Deal 1 damage to minion (Demon Hunter, Druid, Mage, Rogue)
- Three Hero Powers (76.2%): "Heal" self by 1 (Druid, Warrior, Priest)*
- Two Hero Powers (58.3%): Deal 1 damage to opponent past Taunt (Mage, Hunter), "heal" self by 2 (Warrior, Priest)*, summon a minion (Paladin, Shaman)
- One Hero Power (33.3%): Heal 1 health to a minion by end of turn (Priest)*, any single Hero Power
The following chances listed assume the player has a Hero Power completely different from a Basic Hero Power:
- Five Hero Powers (91.7%): Deal 1 damage to attackable opponent (Demon Hunter, Druid, Mage, Rogue, Hunter)
- Four Hero Powers (83.3%): Deal 1 damage to minion (Demon Hunter, Druid, Mage, Rogue)
- Three Hero Powers (70.8%): "Heal" self by 1 (Druid, Warrior, Priest)*
- Two Hero Powers (53.3%): Deal 1 damage to opponent past Taunt (Mage, Hunter), "heal" self by 2 (Warrior, Priest)*, summon a minion (Paladin, Shaman)
- One Hero Power (30%): Heal 1 health to a minion by end of turn (Priest)*, any single Hero Power
NB: The following probabilities are outdated.
In addition, scenarios marked with * have a slightly increased chance of success if a player is willing or desperate enough to risk the 25% chance of a Discovered Totemic Call producing the correct totem in the case an ideal Hero Power is not Discovered. Stoneclaw Totem can act as an effective "self-heal" of two or more by blocking minion attack damage, and Healing Totem will heal minion damage at the end of the turn. This would slightly supplement the listed chances of completing an objective based on one, two, or three "ideal" powers by 6.7%, 4.5%, and 2.7% respectively. For instance, a player at 1 health facing a 1/3 minion would have an 82.1% chance of Discovering one of the three direct defensive powers, and an additional 10.7% chance of Discovering Totemic Call, but with only 1/4 chances of that Totemic Call dropping Stoneclaw Totem for an overall boost of 2.7% (84.8% total). This logic only works if the player does not already have a Shaman power, since otherwise Totemic Call would have no chance of being offered.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Who's up for an adventure?
- Alternative summon (when the enemy hero is Morgl the Oracle)
- Hello, old friend! Let's meet for tea after the match, shall we?
- But of course.
- Oh, bother.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- "Hello, explorer! Fancy a cup of tea?"
- A sophisticated gentleman and an accomplished scholar. Also happens to be a murloc.
- How Elise found him as an egg, his joining the League of Explorers, and his eventual knighthood... these are stories for another time!
After spending the last few months stationed in Stranglethorn Vale studying the local gorillas, and attempting to infiltrate their culture, Sir Finley is the perfect candidate to lead the player into the third wing of the The League of Explorers. For his role in the adventure, see The League of Explorers.
His upright posture in comparison to other murlocs, as well as his distinguished demeanor, appears to be a result from hatching and growing up within the League of Explorers.
A portrait of Sir Finley features on the The Museum battlefield, set above the fireplace in the study in the top-right corner. A hidden panel in the floor nearby reveals the painting serves as a hiding place for a large gem.
Following his introduction in Hearthstone, Sir Finley was added to World of Warcraft with Legion, appearing as an NPC in Stormheim. This makes him arguably the first original Hearthstone character to become part of World of Warcraft and canon Warcraft lore, tied with Morgl the Oracle, who was added in the same patch. Morgl predates Sir Finley in Hearthstone, but is arguably a less substantial character, especially in his World of Warcraft appearance.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of its release, this is one of the only Discover cards to include options from other classes. In fact, its behaviour is essentially the opposite to most Discover effects, in that it only selects Hero Powers that do not match the class of the player's current Hero Power.
- Sir Finley makes an appearance in the cinematic trailer for One Night in Karazhan, where he can be seen relaxing in a hot tub along with Reno Jackson and a cow.
- Sir Finley also appears on the artwork of Unite the Murlocs.
- Sir Finley's card art in Hearthstone and model in World of Warcraft depict him with his monocle over his right eye. However, in the League of explorers trailer and art, his monocle appears on his left eye. In Sir Finley's further appearances in Saviors of Uldum and Galakrond's Awakening, he has always been depicted with his monocle on his left eye.
- The idea for Sir Finley's character originated from the end of a voice acting session with Terrence Stone in which he had recorded various murloc voices. The voice director Andrea Toyias said that one of the writers wanted to know what a "Shakespearian murloc" would sound like. Stone "thought of James Mason, if he was on helium and very posh, with a gurgle" and gave his idea for the voice, which was positively received by Toyias and the writers. They told Stone they'd talk to him again soon, and when they later called him in for another session, they had created Sir Finley.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.124222 (2020-03-26): Can now Discover the Demon Hunter's hero power Demon Claws.
- Patch 126.96.36.19917 (2017-10-17): Corrected an issue when playing a golden Sir Finley Mrrgglton that could make Hero Powers difficult to interact with.
- Patch 188.8.131.5219 (2016-07-12): Alternative summon quote added for when playing against Morgl the Oracle.
- Patch 184.108.40.20633 (2015-11-10): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2015-11-09).
- https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3wab50/heroic_rafaam_refuses_to_play_finley/ Tested in Patch 220.127.116.1156 (2015-12-04)
- Official site - The League of Explorers. (2015-11-06).
- Join the League of Explorers on November 12!. (2015-11-06).
- Ricardo C. Esteves (2019-07-18). World Exclusive - Hearthstone: Saviors of Uldum card reveal. Gamereactor. Retrieved on 2019-07-20.