Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
Destroy a Frozen minion.
What's cooler than being cool?
How to get[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This card has obvious synergy with decks involving Freeze effects, such as Freeze Mage. It is most efficiently combined with AoE Freeze effects like Blizzard, allowing the mage to remove a single minion that survived the former spell's weaker damage. At best it can be used with Freezing Potion for a 2-mana hard removal.
Unfortunately, its inability to function without synergy makes this card ineffective in most cases.
Snap Freeze is a strictly superior version of this card.
Lore[edit | edit source]
In World of Warcraft, Shatter is a passive Frost mage ability, gained at level 16. It multiplies the critical strike chance of all of the mage's spells against frozen targets by 1.5 and adds another 50% chance.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Shatter was originally designed for the Curse of Naxxramas adventure as the mage reward. It was originally a 4-mana spell with the effect "Destroy all Frozen minions".
- On various occasions in 2017 and 2018, then-Game Director Ben Brode and Lead Producer Yong Woo cited Shatter as an example of a card that could potentially be added to the Classic set as a replacement for Classic cards that had been moved to the Hall of Fame. This is because the card's effect is simple and easy to understand, its power level is low enough that it would be unlikely to have a large impact on the meta, and it helps establish the mage class' identity of having a major focus on Freeze effects. However, following the creation of entirely new Classic cards starting with patch 126.96.36.199405 in November of 2018, this idea has likely been abandoned.
- The flavor text is a reference to a lyric in the 2003 Outkast song "Hey Ya," in which singer Andre 3000 proclaims "What's cooler than being cool?" to which the response is "Ice cold!"
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5274 (2016-04-24): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2017-06-05).
- Hearthstone (2017-02-21). Live Stream Q&A - Year of the Mammoth (16:45). YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-07-01.
- Jaeic "Koth" Lee (2017-02-24). Q&A session with Producer Yong Woo about the past, present and future of Hearthstone. Inven Global. Retrieved on 2019-07-01.
- Tim Clark (2018-02-27). Hearthstone's Year of the Raven getting in-game tournaments, Ice Block sent to Hall of Fame. PC Gamer. Retrieved on 2019-07-01.
- Ars Technica (2018-04-18). Blizzard's Ben Brode Answers Unsolved Hearthstone Mysteries. YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-07-01.