Shadow Hunter Vol'jin
|Set:||Forged in the Barrens|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Put into battlefield, Return to hand|
|Tags:||Hand-related, Random, Targeted|
Battlecry: Choose a minion. Swap it with a random one in its owners hand.
You wouldn’t see this swap-meet on the Zandalari Roadshow.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Regular Shadow Hunter Vol'jin is given to players the first time they log into Hearthstone starting from February 19, 2021.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Shadow Hunter Vol'jin can target both a friendly minion or an enemy minion, making him a versatile option. The player will be able to choose which minion to replace, however the minion summoned will be random.
When targeting a friendly minion, you will want to replace a smaller or insignificant minion with a larger threat and putting them into play for less mana than usual. Any battlecries will not be activated, so it is best to summon a minion that does not require battlecries to be powerful, or one with a detrimental effect. Vol'jin's effect can also be used to activate a minion's battlecry effect a second time while putting an additional minion on the board.
When targeting an enemy minion, you want the opposite effect to happen, a larger threat being replaced by a weak minion. Targeting an enemy could have the desired effect of putting a weaker minion in it's place, but it does come with the risk of something even stronger being played. Alternatively, Shadow Hunter Vol'jin can be used effectively as a silence effect to bypass taunt minions and finish off the enemy hero, even if the replacement is a powerful minion.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- You're making a big mistake now.
- Who be me next victim?
Lore[edit | edit source]
- The shadow hunter Vol'jin, son of Sen'jin, was the Warchief of the Horde, as well as Chieftain of the Darkspear tribe and rightful ruler of Durotar and the Echo Isles.
- Vol'jin swore to do everything in his power to lead the Darkspear tribe just as his late father, Sen’jin, would have. For years Vol'jin resided in Orgrimmar, offering strategic advice to Thrall and assisting with critical operations such as retaking the Undercity after the Forsaken bastion had been usurped by Grand Apothecary Putress and the dreadlord Varimathras. During the Cataclysm, however, Vol'jin came into conflict with the Horde’s new warchief, Garrosh Hellscream. Alienated by the orc’s extremism and lust for war, the troll leader departed Orgrimmar and took up residence on Darkspear Isle. Despite his conflict with the new warchief, Vol'jin remained loyal to the Horde and opposed the efforts of the Zandalari to create a new troll empire in the wake of the Shattering.
- By the time the war between the Alliance and Horde came to the shores of Pandaria, Vol'jin had become a bitter enemy of Garrosh. After surviving an assassination attempt by one of Hellscream's Kor'kron, Vol'jin went into hiding, while rallying support within the Horde itself to end Garrosh's reign. With Garrosh's defeat and capture, Vol'jin was led to assume the mantle of Warchief of the Horde, with the personal encouragement of Thrall and the rest of the Horde's leadership, becoming the first non-orc to earn the title. He ruled the Horde until he was mortally wounded during the battle for the Broken Shore; though he was evacuated back to Orgrimmar, he succumbed to fel poisoning from his wound. Following the guidance of the loa, with his dying breath Vol'jin named Sylvanas Windrunner, the queen of the Forsaken, as the new Warchief of the Horde.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.206257 (2021-02-19): Added.