Servant of Yogg-Saron
|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Cast spell|
Battlecry: Cast a random spell that costs (5) or less (targets chosen randomly).
Yogg-Saron always likes to complain about how he has too many servants and there are too many mouths to feed.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Servant of Yogg-Saron||100||20|
|Golden Servant of Yogg-Saron||800||100|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Similar to Yogg-Saron, Hope's End, this minion's Battlecry casts a random spell that costs 5 mana or less. The following rules are mostly based on the behaviour of Yogg-Saron - see that page for references.
- Any collectible spell may be cast. Uncollectible spells will not be cast.
- For card text purposes, the spell is considered to have been cast by the player. For example, Arcane Explosion will always target the opponent's board, Arcane Intellect will always draw cards for the player, and Excavated Evil will always shuffle itself into the opponent's deck.
- However, for most other purposes, the spell is considered to be cast by the minion, not by the player. Therefore:
- Only valid targets will be selected. If no valid target exists, the spell will fizzle and have no effect.
- Cards with options such as Choose One or Discover will randomly select an option.
- Damaging spells will be improved by Spell Damage.
- According to an overview by Trump made partway through the revealing of the Whispers of the Old Gods set of all eligible cards in Standard format, the spell cast by this minion has a majority chance of being favourable to the summoning player, with an even higher chance if the opponent has a minion on the board:
- Trump estimated around a 26% chance of a negative outcome with an empty board; and around a 3% chance of a negative outcome if the opponent has a minion.
- Trump estimated around a 46% chance of a good or very good outcome, regardless of whether the opponent has a minion or not.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
A very risky minion with stats below average, and therefore should only be played when the player has a possibility of dying the next turn.
This minion is risky because it has a chance to heal the friendly hero, but also a chance to buff enemy minions, and it could even destroy itself upon playing with cards such as Shadow Word: Death, and thus be a complete waste.
Lore[edit | edit source]
This minion serves Yogg-Saron, and has much weaker but similar effect to the Old God, by randomly casting any spell.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This minion's Battlecry originally cast any random spell. After playtesting saw it casting spells such as Lay on Hands, DOOM! and Pyroblast a little too often, the minion was limited to casting spells costing 5 or less.
- This minion's effect inspired a Tavern Brawl, 'Servant of Yogg-Saron' Tryouts. The Brawl premiered on July 13, 2016.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.16881 (2016-10-20): If Servant of Yogg-Saron casts a spell with Overload, the controlling player will now be Overloaded for the stated amount (presumed patch)
- Patch 22.214.171.12474 (2016-04-24): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-12-09).
- Hearthstone: Card Reveal - Servant of Yogg-Saron (Trump). (2016-04-13).
- IGN - BLIZZARD ON DESIGNING HEARTHSTONE’S OLD GODS. (2016-06-20).