Rin, the First Disciple
|Set:||Kobolds and Catacombs|
|Abilities:||Deathrattle, Generate, Taunt|
Deathrattle: Add 'The First Seal' to your hand.
Signed and sealed, she delivers oblivion.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Rin, the First Disciple||1600||400|
|Golden Rin, the First Disciple||3200||1600|
Generated cards[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This card contains a strong effect locked behind very slow cards. It requires a heavy investment of 41 mana to destroy your opponent's deck with Azari, the Devourer, the Felspawn from each seal are far below the statline until The Final Seal, and Azari has no impact on the board besides being a large body. Playing these cards are often bad for tempo, but fortunately Warlocks have many ways to clear the board and stall the game long enough to play Azari.
When the player is able summon Azari, its effect is very powerful. Destroying the opponent's deck means they will start taking Fatigue damage, be deprived of new options, and render card draw effects worthless, and it's even better the fewer cards they have in their hand. Even when burning only a few cards, the fact that they start taking Fatigue damage means they are put on a timer. While Warlocks have many high-power defensive minions and removal, they lack late-game burst damage, and this gives them an alternate win condition of stalling and wearing out the opponent.
Using both Rin and Skull of the Man'ari is not recommended because it can summon Azari without destroying the opponent's deck.
If you play Rin on turn 6, and continue to play the seals on pace, you can destroy your opponent's deck with Azari, the Devourer on turn 11. This means that barring external card draw, they only get access to 14/15 cards (If they go first or second) of their deck, as you will destroy half of it. Utilizing cards such a Bloodbloom and Cho'gall can help to speed up the rate seals can be played, but the amount of self-damage makes it costly. However, this can be offset by Lesser Amethyst Spellstone, which counteracts the self-damage taken while simultaneously providing solid removal.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Ered'achor! Havik! Galar!
Lore[edit | edit source]
Rin is unique to Hearthstone. According to the poem in the flavor text for Lesser Amethyst Spellstone, Rin was the first to give in to the power of Azari, the Devourer, murdering her kin and becoming a warlock.
The Felhunters summoned by the Seals are the fourth tier of minion that warlocks can summon.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Rin's Seals were originally more complicated, as they each had a different effect, such as "Deal Damage", "Restore Health", and "Summon a Demon", among others.
- Azari, the Devourer was originally a 15/15 that could not be targeted. Testing proved people were not impressed with it which made the team come up with the idea of deck destruction.
- Rin's card art features a Kabal Demon behind her, the uncollectible token that is summoned from the Netherbloom effect of Kazakus's Battlecry.
- Rin's quotes are spoken in Eredun, the language of demons. "Shaza-kiel" means "Surrender your soul", but no official translation has yet been provided for any of the phrases used in Rin's summoning quote.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 10.0.0.22611 (2017-12-06): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- IGN (2018-01-17). The Hearthstone Team on Designing Cubelock and Why They Like Big Priest. Retrieved on 2018-01-22.