Reno the Relicologist
|Set:||Saviors of Uldum|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Deal damage, Highlander|
|Voice actor:||Travis Willingham|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, deal 10 damage randomly split among all enemy minions.
All his life, Reno Jackson was only a gatling wand away from becoming the greatest and most terrifying mage who ever existed.
- For other representations of Reno, see Reno Jackson (disambiguation).
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Reno the Relicologist||1600||400|
|Golden Reno the Relicologist||3200||1600|
Strategy[edit | edit source]
At first glance, Reno's Battlecry may seem underwhelming, especially with the strict condition of requiring a deck with no duplicates, but it is much more devastating than one may think. When compared with Avenging Wrath, Reno the Relicologist deals 2 additional damage for the same cost, and puts a 4/6 minion on the board, but the damage is limited to only enemy minions. If used correctly, he can cause a huge impact on the enemy board, reliably clearing it of minions.
This minion is extremely effective against Zoo decks, because minions in Zoo decks tend to have low Health, allowing Reno to effectively destroy the enemy board.
Reno can also be devastating against a single large minion, such as Ancient of War, The Lich King, or Edwin VanCleef. This lets him essentially function as an Omega Devastator that can be played 4 turns earlier.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- We're gonna have some fun!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- The gang's all here! The League of Explorers has arrived, and that means their fearless leader Reno Jackson is back and, thanks to his new Gatling Wand, he's bringing tons of magical mischief as a new Legendary Mage card.
Reno's class is based on whatever amazing loot he has most recently found and is currently using. In this incarnation, he takes the role of a mage due to having picked up a magical "Gatling wand".
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During the development of Saviors of Uldum, Team 5 wanted the League of Explorers to fill in the remaining four Hearthstone classes after the first five were assigned to the League of E.V.I.L. starting with Rise of Shadows. While Elise, Brann, and Sir Finley fit fairly well into druid, hunter, and paladin respectively, this left the mage class and led to the team coming up with Reno's Gatling wand. While some of the developers were initially skeptical about making Reno a mage, Creative Director Ben Thompson explained how the Gatling wand fit Reno's character. While wands and magic don't necessarily fit Reno's kit, the idea of him stealing artifacts and firing away with them despite not really knowing how they work does. Thompson comments that Reno "seemed to take to the using of magic in this form like a duck to water!"
- While Reno was in mage from very early on in the set's design and the developers had the Gatling wand in mind the whole time, the card went through multiple significant changes during development. One of the earlier designs was a 10-mana 7/7 minion which cast ten random Mage spells at enemies, an effect that ended up being shifted to the Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron spell. Another was a 6-mana 5/5 which shot 3 special spells from Reno's Gatling wand, while yet another was a 7-mana 4/6 that allowed the player to Discover three spells. Ultimately, Game Designer Alec Dawson feels that "what the deck really wanted was the ability that we ended up with".
- When possible, the designers like to make nods to previous incarnations of returning characters, in this case the original Reno Jackson card from The League of Explorers. They found that 6 mana was around the right range for when players usually want to activate Reno the Relicologist's effect in a game, and once they settled on the cost they made Reno a 4/6 minion to match up with his original stats from The League of Explorers.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.206708 (2019-08-01): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Blizzard Entertainment (2019-07-19). Saviors of Uldum Card Reveal Recap, Week 2. Retrieved on 2019-07-20.
- Mike Donais on reddit. (2019-07-03). Retrieved on 2019-07-18.
- Ben Thompson on reddit. (2019-07-10). Retrieved on 2019-07-18.
- Cam Shea (2019-07-18). Hearthstone: Reno Jackson Is Back! See the New Card!. IGN. Retrieved on 2019-07-20.