|Set:||One Night in Karazhan|
|Abilities:||Generate, Shuffle into deck, Start of Game|
|Tags:||Deck-related, In-deck effect, Random, Rarity-related, Triggered effect|
|Artist:||Joe Madureira & Grace Liu|
|Voice actor:||David Sobolov|
Start of Game: Add 5 extra Legendary minions to your deck.
He was super excited to acquire Gorehowl at a garage sale! Then super disappointed to find out it was a foam reproduction.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Prince Malchezaar||3200||1600|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- At the start of the game, if the player has Prince Malchezaar in their deck, he will add 5 random collectible legendary cards to the player's deck. While the selection is random, only cards suitable for the player's class will be chosen, and he will not cause there to be more than 1 copy of any given legendary in the deck, thus abiding by the game's regular deck-building rules.
- This card's effect activates at the start of the game. It is not necessary to draw or play the card to activate its effect, only to have it included in the deck.
- The effect activates after the mulligan. This means the cards generated will not be included in the mulligan, but may be drawn at the start of the first turn.
- Prince Malchezaar's effect is comparable, but very dissimilar, to that of Golden Monkey, which, in contrast, allows for duplicate copies as well as legendary cards from other classes.
- If you somehow start the game with multiple Prince Malchezaars (such as in the Arena or a Tavern Brawl), each of them will have their expected effect, shuffling five Legendary minions into the deck per Malchezaar. However, only one animation is played of Prince Malchezaar shuffling five cards into the deck. As with a single Malchezaar, each card added will be unique to the deck, with no duplicates.
- Prince Malchezaar will shuffle in cards after other Start of Game effects activate. In case of Baku the Mooneater, you will obtain an upgraded Hero Power even if Prince Malchezaar shuffles in an ineligible card.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Despite not having the ability to select what you receive, Malchezaar fills your deck with five extra Legendary minions, meaning that this card excels in slow games, where the extra minions are not only an extra threat to the other player, but an excellent delay for Fatigue.
- Cards like Barnes work well with Malchezaar as some Legendary minions rely on their effects rather than their stats.
- Most Legendary minions have high mana costs. This improves the chances of winning Jousts. It also favors a long game and makes your deck weaker to Aggro deck archetypes, so be sure to include ways to deal with early threats in your deck. Global removal such as Consecration, Holy Nova, Lightbomb, Twisting Nether, Fan of Knives / Blade Flurry, or Arcane Explosion/Blizzard/Flamestrike can be particularly useful in clearing the board and getting card advantage to set up for Malchezaar's "finds".
- Prince Malchezaar himself has good stats, providing a 5/6 body for 5 mana. His ability only triggers at the beginning of a game, so after the game begins, he is functionally equivalent to a Pit Fighter - a creature without text or abilities. Unlike Pit Fighter though, Prince Malchezaar is a demon, which gives him a slight edge in warlock decks that rely on demon synergy,
- Healing can help you survive long enough to utilize both Malchezaar and his RNG drops. For this reason, cards like Reno Jackson, Antique Healbot, or Tournament Medic, or playing the Priest class, all represent synergies tilting the game towards later rounds and maximizing the potential chance to utilize the Legendaries you draw. Taunt is also useful.
- Malchezaar's "legions" are almost always powerful, but beware of cards like Nat, the Darkfisher or Millhouse Manastorm. Nat won't usually do you much good unless you're already playing Vanish Rogue, and Millhouse's Battlecry will lose you the game if your opponent has a few strong spells in hand.
- Note that even though Prince Malchezaar works to delay fatigue, one should know that getting random Legendaries from Prince Malchezaar may serve to dilute your deck rather than aid it, without further assistance from other cards.
Generated minions[edit | edit source]
The following table lists all collectible legendary minions currently available in Standard format, representing the range of cards that can be generated by Prince Malchezaar. For Wild format lists, see Legendary card list/Wild format.
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
|Reliquary of Souls||Legendary||Minion||General||Priest||1||1||3|
Deathrattle: Shuffle 'Reliquary Prime' into your deck. These three represent Anger, Desire, and Suffering. Much like raid night guild chat.
Spell Damage +1
Deathrattle: Shuffle 'Solarian Prime' into your deck. Loyal to Kael'thas Sunstrider, this blood elf mage sought arcane power in the Void. Did she find it... or did IT find her?
Spell Damage +1. Deathrattle: Draw a card. He's in charge of the Annual Scarlet Monastery Blood Drive!
Your Demons cost (1) less.
Deathrattle: Shuffle 'Kanrethad Prime' into your deck. After Illidan's downfall, Kanrethad formed the Council of the Black Harvest to study Illidan's fel magic. Some say he was... green with envy.
After you cast a Choose One spell, add copies of both choices to your hand. Keeps your choices handy.
Your cards that summon minions summon twice as many. "What do you call two minions summoned at once? Twinions, haha! Wait... where are you going?"
Whenever a player casts a spell, put a copy into the other player's hand. Lorewalker Cho archives and shares tales from the land of Pandaria, but his favorite story is the one where Joey and Phoebe go on a road trip.
Battlecry: Enemy spells cost (0) next turn. "I'm gonna light you up, sweetcheeks!"
Deathrattle: Shuffle 'Murgurgle Prime' into your deck. Murlocs are not native to Outland. When the Sungills arrived, one among them rose to the challenge of this dark world. They call him... Murgurgle. Murgur Murgurgle.
At the start of your turn, you have a 50% chance to draw an extra card. Nat Pagle, Azeroth's premier fisherman! He invented the Auto-Angler 3000, the Extendo-Pole 3000, and the Lure-o-matic 2099 (still in testing).
After you play a Secret, Discover a Secret from a different class. What is a shadowjeweler? A miserable little pile of secrets.
|Sir Finley of the Sands||Legendary||Minion||Murloc||Paladin||2||2||3|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, Discover an upgraded Hero Power. "The sands shall be my sea! And this scarab shall be my, er, strange and wriggly boat!"
|Zayle, Shadow Cloak||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||2||3||2|
You start the game with one of Zayle's EVIL Decks! E.V.I.L. is the new black.
|Zephrys the Great||Legendary||Minion||Elemental||Any||2||3||2|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, wish for the perfect card. "Of course it's perfect, you're just not seeing how to use it."
Deathrattle: Shuffle 'Akama Prime' into your deck. "To many of my people, I am known as a traitor... as Illidan's lapdog. I will remain in the shadows, for now... Actually, maybe I'll just remain in the shadows forever."
Deathrattle: Shuffle 'Msshi'fn Prime' into your deck. Brave leader of the Sporeggar. Guided by the philosophy that one should not mssh with matters that are not one's msshiness.
Battlecry: Add a random Legendary minion to your hand. Little faerie dragons are made of sugar and spice and maniacal vice.
After you cast three spells in a turn, summon a 5/5 Elemental. Like the Dragon Soul. If dragons had souls of ice.
Your Secrets trigger twice. Two people can keep a secret as long as neither of them are Commander Rhyssa.
Deathrattle: Give a Dragon in your hand +3/+3 and this Deathrattle. You can't just run away from your problems. Unless you have another dragon to jump to.
Combo: Gain +2/+2 for each other card you've played this turn. He led the Stonemasons in the reconstruction of Stormwind, and when the nobles refused to pay, he founded the Defias Brotherhood to, well, deconstruct Stormwind.
Battlecry: Give your opponent 2 Bananas. King Mukla wanders Jaguero Isle, searching for love.
Spell Damage +1
Deathrattle: Shuffle 'Vashj Prime' into your deck. Personal handmaiden to Queen Azshara turned lieutenant to Illidan Stormrage. Also quite the hair sssstylist.
Battlecry: Discover a copy of a card in your oppponent's hand. Of course she knows the future, she's been looking at your cards the WHOLE TIME!
Battlecry: Choose an enemy minion.
Deathrattle: Summon a new copy of it. It’s pronounced "Kaahrj."
Battlecry: Destroy all other friendly minions.
Deathrattle: Resummon them with +1/+1. "You’re fine, friendly minions! You're fine! Don’t tell Mom!"
Battlecry: Transform another random minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel. Tinkmaster Overspark nearly lost his Tinker's license after the Great Ironforge Squirrel Stampede of '09.
|Zixor, Apex Predator||Legendary||Minion||Beast||Hunter||3||2||4|
Deathrattle: Shuffle 'Zixor Prime' into your deck. A living terror. Teleports at will. Feasts on tainted helboar meat. No head scritches unless you're Leoroxx.
|Altruis the Outcast||Legendary||Minion||General||Demon Hunter||4||4||2|
After you play the left- or right-most card in your hand, deal 1 damage to all enemies. Altruis betrayed Illidan to forge his own way in Outland. With Blackjack. And Netherdrakes.
At the end of your turn, cast a spell you've cast this turn (targets are random). He's an archmage, but he might want to brush up on the basics... like aiming.
After you use your Hero Power, deal 5 damage to a random enemy. *Thunk* "That wasn’t a dragon!" *Thunk* "THAT wasn’t a dragon!"
Battlecry: Reduce the Cost of Dragons in your deck by (2). Frizz knows that baby dragons need warmth, care, and the highest possible level of goblin engineering.
|Grand Lackey Erkh||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||4||2||3|
After you play a Lackey, add a Lackey to your hand. Esteemed leader of Rafaam's Inhuman Resources department.
|High Priest Amet||Legendary||Minion||General||Priest||4||2||7|
Whenever you summon a minion, set its Health equal to this minion's. All minions are equal, but some minions are more equal than others.
Deathrattle: Shuffle 'Kargath Prime' into your deck. He rules the Shattered Hand orc clan with an iron... bladefist.
|Kayn Sunfury||Legendary||Minion||General||Demon Hunter||4||3||5|
All friendly attacks ignore Taunt. "Armor and heals may slow my zeal, but fel and glaives excite me!"
Dormant. Battlecry: Summon three 1/3 enemy Warders. When they die, destroy all minions and awaken. Came from another world to invade Outland and bend it to his will… only to be overthrown by an elf from another world who invaded Outland and bent it to his will.
Battlecry: Choose a minion. It goes Dormant for 2 turns. Go directly to Demon Jail. Do not attack minions, do not collect mana crystals.
|Nozdormu the Timeless||Legendary||Minion||Dragon||Paladin||4||8||8|
Battlecry: Set each player to 10 Mana Crystals. Time is mana!
Your Murlocs cost (1). Wanna know how he got those scars? So does he.
|Sky Gen'ral Kragg||Legendary||Minion||Pirate||Any||4||2||3|
Battlecry: If you've played a Quest this game, summon a 4/2 Parrot with Rush. He's gunning for Sky Adm'ral.
While you're Overloaded, your other minions have +2 Attack. She wasn't happy when Hagatha sent her back to Uldum. But her "angry" hiss sounds like her "happy" hiss, so no one knew the difference.
Deathrattle: Summon a 0/3 Ashes of Al'ar that resurrects this minion on your next turn. Week 679: Still no mount...
|Anka, the Buried||Legendary||Minion||General||Rogue||5||5||5|
Battlecry: Change each Deathrattle minion in your hand into a 1/1 that costs (1). "You look familiar. Were you at my first funeral?"
Each turn this is in your hand, transform it into a 5/5 copy of a random Legendary minion. The Shudderwock finds him particularly frumious.
Battlecry: Add a copy of each of your other Battlecry minions to your hand. "Thanks a latte!"
Battlecry: Give your weapon +1/+1. He was this close to piloting a massive juggernaut into Stormwind Harbor. If it weren't for those pesky kids!
|Dark Pharaoh Tekahn||Legendary||Minion||General||Warlock||5||4||4|
Battlecry: For the rest of the game, your Lackeys are 4/4. He'll get that League of Explorers and their little murloc too!
|Elise the Enlightened||Legendary||Minion||General||Druid||5||5||5|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, duplicate your hand. From cartographer to combatant, Elise has taken the road less traveled—because no one else could find it on a map.
Battlecry: Destroy your opponent's weapon and draw cards equal to its Durability. “That belongs in the Hall of Explorers!”
|Malygos, Aspect of Magic||Legendary||Minion||Dragon||Mage||5||2||8|
Battlecry: If you're holding a Dragon, Discover an upgraded Mage spell. It's official. We can say Malygeese.
Deathrattle: Shuffle a Candle into your deck that resummons Waxadred when drawn. Waxadred the dragon fought for his king, frolicking through the fields melting everything!
At the end of your turn, give all Taunt minions in your hand +2/+2. We may never know what provoked it, but we will never forget the consequences.
Deathrattle: Summon a 4/5 Baine Bloodhoof. Cairne was killed by Garrosh, so... don't put this guy in a Warrior deck. It's pretty insensitive.
Battlecry: Destroy a minion and all copies of it (wherever they are). Junior explorers scan the night sky in fear of her candle’s flame!
Battlecry: If you control a Lackey, choose a fantastic treasure. A staunch ally of Rafaam, at least while the shinies keep flowing.
At the end of your turn, summon a 2/2 Gnoll with Taunt. Hogger is super powerful. If you kill him, it's because he let you.
|Keli'dan the Breaker||Legendary||Minion||General||Warlock||6||3||3|
Battlecry: Destroy a minion. If drawn this turn, instead destroy all minions except this one. He calms down a lot if you just give him a turn.
Battlecry: Draw Galakrond. If you're already Galakrond, unleash a Devastation. The only one who knows how to properly prepare Galakrond's coffee.
Battlecry: Summon two 0/3 Eggs. Next turn they hatch into 4/4 Drakes with Rush. Not to be confused with Nithogger.
Deathrattle: Summon a Mech from your hand and trigger its Deathrattle. Reduce, reuse, re-rattle!
|Reno the Relicologist||Legendary||Minion||General||Mage||6||4||6|
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, deal 10 damage randomly split among all enemy minions. All his life, Reno Jackson was only a gatling wand away from becoming the greatest and most terrifying mage who ever existed.
Deathrattle: Summon a 3/3 Finkle Einhorn for your opponent. He lives in Blackrock Mountain. He eats Gnomes. That's pretty much it.
|The Black Knight||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||6||4||5|
Battlecry: Destroy an enemy minion with Taunt. He was sent by the Lich King to disrupt the Argent Tournament. We can pretty much mark that a failure.
|The Lurker Below||Legendary||Minion||Beast||Shaman||6||6||5|
Battlecry: Deal 3 damage to an enemy minion. If it dies, repeat on one of its neighbors. "Throw it back! THROW IT BACK!"
Battlecry: Change the Health of all enemy minions to 1. As an empty nester, she just misses her little ones.
After you play a card, summon a 2/1 Satyr. Xavius has grand nightmares of summoning Sargeras into this world, but a few Satyr will have to do for now.
Battlecry: Replace your hand and deck with Legendary minions. Minions must wash hands before being LIQUIDATED AND REPLACED BY SOMEONE BETTER.
Whenever you cast a spell, put a 'Fireball' spell into your hand. Antonidas was the Grand Magus of the Kirin Tor, and Jaina's mentor. This was a big step up from being Grand Magus of Jelly Donuts.
At the end of your turn, deal 2 damage to ALL other characters. Baron Geddon was Ragnaros's foremost lieutenant, until he got FIRED.
Battlecry: Summon two 1/1 Boom Bots for each Bomb in your opponent's deck. He's gonna fly through the air with the greatest of grease.
Battlecry: If your deck is empty, summon six 6/6 Greasefire Elementals. His cooking is always very well done.
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, summon King Krush. Brann's new dino-taming hobby is going well—his pet can already make him sit, stand, and roll over!
|Goru the Mightree||Legendary||Minion||General||Druid||7||5||10|
Battlecry: For the rest of the game, your Treants have +1/+1. He's untreefeated.
|High Inquisitor Whitemane||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||7||6||8|
Battlecry: Summon all friendly minions that died this turn. No one told her that champions want to sleep in.
Every third spell you cast each turn costs (0). Descent of Dragons was merely a set back!
Battlecry: Add a copy of each spell you cast on friendly characters this game to your hand. When it comes to spells, she loves 'em then she librams.
At the end of your turn, fill your board with 1/1 Tentacles. How to tell your mother to go away.
Battlecry: Gain 2 of Rush, Taunt, Divine Shield, or Windfury (your choice). TAUNT. TAUNT.
Battlecry: Add a 5/5 Horror to your hand. Teach it two Shaman spells. Rafaam mainly enjoys working with Hagatha because she never laughs at Dr. Boom's jokes.
Whenever you shuffle a card into your deck, add a copy to your hand. "One for me and one for future me!"
Battlecry: Increase your maximum hand size to 12. Draw 4 cards. I don't mean to pry, but you don't by chance happen to have six fingers on both of your hands?
Battlecry: Equip Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury. Good things come in threes: Windrunner sisters and arrows of Thori'dal.
|Al'Akir the Windlord||Legendary||Minion||Elemental||Shaman||8||3||5|
Windfury, Charge, Divine Shield, Taunt He is the weakest of the four Elemental Lords. And the other three don't let him forget it.
Battlecry: Summon 3 Beasts from your hand. Father of Rexxar, Champion of the Horde, and Flexxar, Champion of the Gym.
At the end of your turn, summon a friendly minion that died this game. She always manages to lift your spirits.
|Deathwing, Mad Aspect||Legendary||Minion||Dragon||Warrior||8||12||12|
Battlecry: Attack ALL other minions. Bite that one, bite that other one, claw this one, swallow that one whole....
|Fel Lord Betrug||Legendary||Minion||Demon||Warlock||8||5||7|
Whenever you draw a minion, summon a copy with Rush that dies at end of turn. Nobody else likes rush hour.
Has +6 Attack while damaged. Grommash drank the tainted blood of Mannoroth, dooming the orcs to green skin and red eyes! Maybe not his best decision.
At the end of each turn, gain +1/+1 . He's Gruul "the Dragonkiller". He just wanted to cuddle them… he never meant to…
Battlecry: Draw 2 minions from your deck. Set their Attack, Health, and Cost to 1. "I'm a real toy now!"
Deathrattle: Go Dormant. Restore 5 Health to awaken this minion. Always feels refreshed after a little dirt nap.
|Murozond the Infinite||Legendary||Minion||Dragon||Priest||8||8||8|
Battlecry: Play all cards your opponent played last turn. "Well, I'm glad YOU knew what I should be doing this turn."
Battlecry: Destroy a minion and gain its Health. She discovered Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire, a terrible weapon of shadow magic that could both swallow a soul and cut a mean julienne.
Deathrattle: Draw 8 cards. Eight arms of sand-flinging, foe-wringing, card-slinging fury!
Divine Shield. Taunt. Deathrattle: Equip a 5/3 Ashbringer. If you haven't heard the Tirion Fordring theme song, it's because it doesn't exist.
|Zzeraku the Warped||Legendary||Minion||Dragon||Warlock||8||4||12|
Whenever your hero takes damage, summon a 6/6 Nether Drake. The extra Z is for "zesty."
Battlecry: Set a hero's remaining Health to 15. Alexstrasza the Life-Binder brings life and hope to everyone. Except Deathwing. And Malygos. And Nekros.
Battlecry: Discover 5 cards. Replace your deck with 2 copies of each. Your deck is just another organizational challenge to her.
Choose One - Give your other minions +2/+2; or Summon two 2/2 Treants with Taunt. Yes, he's a demigod. No, he doesn't need to wear a shirt.
Battlecry: If your deck has no duplicates, add 2 other random Dragons to your hand. They cost (0). Givin' lives and takin' names.
Charge The best defense against King Krush is to have someone you don’t like standing in front of you.
Battlecry: Destroy your hero and replace it with Lord Jaraxxus. "TRIFLING GNOME! YOUR ARROGANCE WILL BE YOUR UNDOING!!!!"
Spell Damage +5 Malygos hates it when mortals use magic. He gets so mad!
Battlecry: Summon two random 0-Cost minions.
(Upgrades each time a friendly minion dies!) Missed the big descent with the other dragons. But better late and nether!
Players only have 15 seconds to take their turns. Time to write some flavor text.
Battlecry: Summon 1/1 Whelps until your side of the battlefield is full. Onyxia long manipulated the Stormwind Court by disguising herself as Lady Katrana Prestor. You would have thought that the giant wings and scales would have been a giveaway.
Choose a friendly minion. Add a copy of it to your hand, deck and battlefield. Just wait until you also find a copy in your pocket. And your desk! And your FRIDGE!!
At the end of your turn, add a Dream Card to your hand. Ysera rules the Emerald Dream. Which is some kind of green-mirror-version of the real world, or something?
Battlecry: Shuffle 7 Dream Portals into your deck. When drawn, summon a random Dragon. Releash the Dragon!
Your spells cost (1). Reach down into your lungs. The wind that resides there is your greatest treasure. It provides the gift of song, which is free.
*But not less than (1)
|Colossus of the Moon||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||10||10||10|
Reborn Strike him down, and you'll face the Colossus of the New Moon.
Battlecry: Destroy all other minions and discard your hand. Once a noble dragon known as Neltharion, Deathwing lost his mind and shattered Azeroth before finally being defeated. Daddy issues?
Your first spell each turn costs (0).
Battlecry: Discover a spell. He was once the Aspect of Magic but gave it up to focus on cheap tricks.
Battlecry: For each spell in your hand, summon a random minion of the same Cost. When you're the king of the cats, the whole desert is your litterbox.
Battlecry: Restore both heroes to full Health. In another timeline, she was called Yeszari.
|The Boom Reaver||Legendary||Minion||Mech||Warrior||10||7||9|
Battlecry: Summon a copy of a minion in your deck. Give it Rush. "What's better than reaving? BOOM reaving!"
|Showing all 117 cards|
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- All realities, all dimensions, are open to me.
- Effect triggering
- Behold the legions I command.
- Effect triggering against another Prince Malchezaar
- Behold my legions.
- Simple fool.
Lore[edit | edit source]
In World of Warcraft[edit | edit source]
- "You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions I command!"
- Prince Malchezaar is a raid boss located at the very top of Karazhan. He can be encountered after the Chess event and controls all of the trash between the Game Room and Netherspace.
- Little is known about Malchezaar, except that he is a man'ari eredar, he claims to be a prince, and he is a member of the Burning Legion. It is unknown how or when he arrived at Karazhan or what his purpose there is. He apparently arrived while some agents of the Violet Eye were still alive inside Karazhan, notably Keanna. It was likely shortly before Karazhan was sealed, as the Violet Eye were aware of Keanna's death.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card's flavor text references Gorehowl's appearance as an item in World of Warcraft, where it is obtainable as a drop from Prince Malchezaar in his appearance as a boss in Karazhan. There is no known lore explanation for how Gorehowl came into his possession, although it has been theorized by some players that Malchezaar obtained it from an alternate universe, as his quotes boast that he has access to "all realities, all dimensions". Gorehowl's flavor text references this: Grommash Hellscream's famous axe. Somehow this ended up in Prince Malchezaar's possession. Quite the mystery!
- Prince Malchezaar is envious of Lord Jaraxxus, for no other reason than the latter being invited to Medivh's parties at Karazhan, as well as being furious at Medivh for refusing to invite him. This is regardless of the fact that he is banned from Karazhan for good reason: the last time he attended a party, he destroyed the tower's library.
- This jealousy is displayed in the One Night in Karazhan adventure, in which Malchezaar assaults Medivh for refusing to invite him to the party, only to be defeated and sent back to his home realm. However, before he is forced through the portal, he grabs onto Medivh, taking the guardian with him and ultimately causing the events of the adventure.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.16866 (2018-04-10): (Undocumented change) Card text changed. Now reads "Start of Game: Add 5 extra Legendary minions to your deck." from "When the game starts, add 5 extra Legendary minions to your deck."
- Patch 22.214.171.12432 (2017-06-13): Once again announces his arrival.
- Patch 126.96.36.19921 (2016-08-09): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Hearthstone reveal event at Team Inven. (2016-08-01).
- Yong Woo on Twitter. (2016-08-03).
- https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/50xfzo/double_malchezaar_in_arena/ Tested in Patch 188.8.131.5221 (ONiK patch)