Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Abilities:||Increment attribute, Modify cost|
The next spell you cast this turn costs (2) less.
"Be Prepared" - Rogue Motto
- NB: The image for this card is currently out of date following recent changes, and will be updated as soon as possible. The correct data can be found in the infobox.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Preparation can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Preparation can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This card's effect creates a cost-modification enchantment attached to your player: this means that it will not be cancelled if your hero is replaced by Ragnaros or Lord Jaraxxus. This enchantment reduces by 2 the mana cost of spell cards in your hand, but wears off as soon as you play a spell or at the end of your turn (whichever happens first).
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Preparation is one of the best Combo activators for Rogues, disregarding the state of the board unlike Backstab or Shadowstep on top of providing a mana discount for chaining more Combo cards. As a free spell used in combination with other spells, it is excellent for use with cards such as Violet Teacher and Gadgetzan Auctioneer, and in such decks is best saved for when one of these minions is on the board.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "March of the Legion" series, for the card Wound Poison.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Fixed bugs[edit | edit source]
- Until Patch 220.127.116.1174 (WotOG patch), Preparation attached an enchantment to your hero, meaning that if you replaced your hero (such as by playing Lord Jaraxxus) the enchantment will be removed and lost. However, the enchantment can not be removed through Silences, such as by using Light's Champion on the Lord Jaraxxus hero, because it is explicitly set to be unsilenceable. (As of Patch 18.104.22.16833 (LoE patch), Light's Champion can no longer target the Lord Jaraxxus hero.)
- If you played Preparation, Summoning Stone then played a spell, you paid the Preparation-discounted cost but Summoning Stone summoned a minion according to the undiscounted cost. (Gazlowe also used the undiscounted cost to decide whether to trigger or not.) This bug was fixed in Patch 22.214.171.12474 (WotOG patch).
- Starting in Patch 126.96.36.19933 (LoE patch), if you played Preparation then a spell with Overload, you did not gain any Overload. In addition, Unbound Elementals would trigger as normal, but Tunnel Troggs would gain Attack only if played BEFORE the Preparation was. This bug was fixed in Patch 188.8.131.5256 (2015-12-04).
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.206022 (2019-05-22): Now reduces cost by (2), down from (3).
- All changes we make to the Basic and Classic sets are aimed at ensuring Hearthstone's long-term health. Preparation is currently seen as such a powerful card that it appears in nearly all Rogue deck archetypes. That said, the change we've landed on is a small one. While we do want the card’s power to decrease, we also think it's important for Preparation to remain a reasonable option, since it fits the Rogue class fantasy so well.
- Preparation is regularly used to reduce the cost of cards like Sap or Eviscerate, and those interactions will remain unchanged. Reducing the cost of your next spell by 2 as opposed to 3 opens our design options up a little more to create higher cost Rogue spells without having to balance so closely around the assumption that they'll be cast alongside Preparation.
- Patch 220.127.116.1190 (2013-10-02): Now reduces cost by (3), up from (2).
- Previously: The next spell you cast this turn costs (2) less. [0 mana, Epic]
References[edit | edit source]
- https://gist.github.com/culinko/62034ed8f8847ab4eeda https://gist.github.com/culinko/58e5f6a8c46b6fcb754b Tested in Patch 18.104.22.16886 (TGT patch)
- Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft - Building the Fire (UK). (2013-03-19).