As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
Battlecry: Remove a word from a card in your hand.
Official[edit | edit source]
As senior game designer for Blizzard Entertainment's Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, Peter Whalen works on numerous aspects of the initial designs, building the foundation for the digital card game’s expansions and Adventures. He designs missions, mechanics, and applies liberal amounts of flavor. He also coordinates with the rest of the team to ensure a consistent vision for upcoming content.
Whalen joined the Hearthstone team in 2015. In his free time, he enjoys playing many different types of games. Blizzard’s games are among his favorites, but he also enjoys discovering other card games, board games, RPGs, and strategy games.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Whalen was responsible for Renounce Darkness, as well as figuring out how to implement Kazakus's ability.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to his joining Blizzard, Whalen's Dream Quest was already being played by many members of the Hearthstone team, as well as some other Blizzard employees.
- Whalen recalls spending a lot of time Stealthed in World of Warcraft's Gurubashi Arena, waiting for other players to fight so he could sneak up to the periodically-spawning Arena Treasure Chest.
- Whalen "really, really likes" dinosaurs. His favorite Hearthstone dinosaur of all time is King Krush, while his favorite in Rastakhan's Rumble is Oondasta.
- Whalen's credits card depicts Madam Goya. This artwork would later be used to represent Goya's boss appearance in The Dalaran Heist.
Actions[edit | edit source]
- July 2015: Joined Team 5.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2017-03-22).
- Yong Woo on Twitter. (2015-11-08).
- NIGHT TERROR: ONE LAST DREAM QUEST UPDATE BEFORE PETER WHALEN JOINS HEARTHSTONE TEAM. (2015-06-08).
- Peter Whalen on Twitter. (2020-01-31).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-05-24).
- Hearthpwn: Matt Place on Gadgetzan, Kazakus, Priest, Opponent Interaction, Heroic Brawl. (2016-12-07).
- Dean Ayala on Twitter. (2015-02-12).
- Hearthstone (2018-11-19). Rastakhan's Rumble Card Reveal Livestream (01:25). YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-11-20.
- Hearthstone (2018-11-19). Rastakhan's Rumble Card Reveal Livestream (03:35). YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-11-20.
- Hearthstone (2018-11-19). Rastakhan's Rumble Card Reveal Livestream (08:14). YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-11-20.
[edit | edit source]
- Selected media
- TAC Hearthstone BlizzCon 2016 Interview with Rachelle Davis and Peter Whalen (2016-11-15)
- Hearthside Chat: Designing Karazhan's Chess Event with Peter Whalen (2016-10-07)
- IGN - BLIZZARD ON DESIGNING HEARTHSTONE’S OLD GODS (2016-06-19)
- Hearthhead: Peter Whalen Interview Summary - Titans Were Axed, Herald Volazj Copied Your Opponent (2016-05-26)