- For the minion card, see Patches the Pirate.
Updates to Hearthstone are made in the form of patches. This page lists all Hearthstone patches to date.
New patches for Hearthstone are released regularly, fixing bugs and adding new cards, card backs and game features. Patches for desktop clients are downloaded automatically from the Battle.net launcher prior to launching the game, and players are required to update to each new patch in order to launch Hearthstone.
Larger patches are released sparingly, adding cards and data for new expansions and adventures, or more rarely major new features. Between these, smaller patches are more commonly released, fixing bugs and adding less critical content such as new card backs, alternate heroes and cards and data for Tavern Brawls.
- 1 Kobolds and Catacombs
- 2 Knights of the Frozen Throne
- 3 Journey to Un'Goro
- 4 Mean Streets of Gadgetzan
- 5 One Night in Karazhan
- 6 Whispers of the Old Gods
- 7 The League of Explorers
- 8 The Grand Tournament
- 9 Blackrock Mountain
- 10 Goblins vs Gnomes
- 11 Curse of Naxxramas
- 12 Initial release
- 13 Open beta
- 14 Closed beta
- 15 Alpha
- 16 Notes
- 17 Trivia
- 18 References
- 19 See also
- Patch 10.2.0.23180 - 6th February 2018
- A medium patch containing various balance changes, Wildfest, a ranked play update and the Mammoth Bundle.
- Patch 10.0.0.22611 - 6th December 2017
- A large patch, adding the data for Kobolds and Catacombs.
- Patch 220.127.116.1115 - 6th November 2017
- Patch 18.104.22.16817 - 17th October 2017
- A small patch, containing arena balance changes, upgraded Fireside Gathering support, minor interaction tweaks and Hollow's End content.
- Patch 22.214.171.12470 - 18th September 2017
- A medium patch, containing various balance changes.
- Patch 126.96.36.19957 - 8th August 2017
- A large patch, adding all data for the upcoming Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion.
- Patch 188.8.131.5222 - 10th July 2017
- Patch 184.108.40.20632 - 13th June 2017
- A small patch, with minor bugfixes.
- Patch 220.127.116.1106 - 1st June 2017
- A large patch, adding the Deck Importing feature and many others.
- Patch 18.104.22.16892 - 21st April 2017
- A small patch, fixing minor localization and authorization issues.
- Patch 22.214.171.12436 - 4th April 2017
- A large patch, adding all data for the upcoming Journey to Un'Goro expansion.
- Patch 126.96.36.19994 - 9th March 2017
- A small patch, resolving issues from previous patch for iOS users.
- Patch 188.8.131.5220 - 28th Februrary 2017
- Patch 184.108.40.20690 - 29th November 2016
- A large patch, adding all data for the upcoming Mean Streets of Gadgetzan expansion, as well as new card backs and Tavern Brawl data.
- Patch 220.127.116.1100 - 8th November 2016
- A small patch, adding Warden functionality.
- Patch 18.104.22.16881 - 20th October 2016
- Patch 22.214.171.12430 - 3rd October 2016
- A small patch, containing several card changes.
- Patch 126.96.36.19906 - 15th September 2016
- Patch 188.8.131.5221 - 9th August 2016
- Patch 184.108.40.20607 - 26th July 2016
- A small patch, containing various bug fixes.
- Patch 220.127.116.1140 - 15th July 2016
- A small patch, containing a fix to a critical problem introduced with Patch 18.104.22.16819.
- Patch 22.214.171.12414 - 14th July 2016
- A small patch, containing fixes to various bugs, mostly added with the previous patch.
- Patch 126.96.36.19919 - 12th July 2016
- Patch 188.8.131.5230 (also released as Patch 184.108.40.20630) - 1st June 2016
- A small patch, containing various bugfixes.
- Patch 220.127.116.1174 - 24th April 2016
- Patch 18.104.22.16866 - 14th April 2016
- A small patch, adding the hero Khadgar, a new card back, an updated Paladin Deck Recipe, and various bugfixes.
- Patch 22.214.171.12451 - 14th March 2016
- Patch 126.96.36.19956 - 4th December 2015
- A small patch, adding data for upcoming Tavern Brawls, four new card backs, and various bugfixes.
- Patch 188.8.131.5233 - The League of Explorers - 10th November 2015
- A large patch, adding all data for the The League of Explorers adventure, four new card backs, and various bugfixes.
- Patch 184.108.40.20604 - 20th October 2015
- A small patch, adding a new card back, Japanese localization, and a card change to Warsong Commander.
- Patch 220.127.116.1157 - 29th September 2015
- A medium patch, adding two new card backs, data for a new Tavern Brawl, and animations for several pre-existing cards.
- Patch 18.104.22.16886 - The Grand Tournament Draws Near - 18th August 2015
- A large patch, including all data for the The Grand Tournament expansion, as well as new Tavern Brawl data and other content.
- Patch 22.214.171.12454 - 29th July 2015
- A small patch, enabling the pre-purchase of Grand Tournament card packs, and making some bug fixes.
- Patch 126.96.36.19966 - 15th June 2015
- Patch 188.8.131.5234 - 14th May 2015
- A small patch, containing bug fixes and card backs.
- Patch 184.108.40.20616 - 14th April 2015
- A small patch, containing bug fixes and a new Quest. Released alongside the launch of Hearthstone for iPhone and Android phones.
- Patch 220.127.116.1111 - The Approach to Blackrock Mountain - 31st March 2015
- A large patch, containing all card data for the upcoming Blackrock Mountain, several minor card changes and key bug fixes, and some minor systems changes.
- Patch 18.104.22.16808 - 19th March 2015
- Patch 22.214.171.12436 - 26th February 2015
- A small patch, containing 3 new card backs, 2 related achievements, and a new debug card.
- Patch 126.96.36.19935 - 25th February 2015
- A small patch, containing various minor adjustments, including a new card back and improvements to Spectator Mode.
- Patch 188.8.131.5285 - 9th February 2015
- A patch released together with a hotfix that fixes issues with the in-game friends list.
- Patch 184.108.40.20628 - 29th January 2015
- A small patch, featuring a balance change to Undertaker, and various minor adjustments.
- Patch 220.127.116.1134 – Goblins vs Gnomes Invades the Arena! - 4th December 2014
- Patch 18.104.22.16898 - 29th October 2014
- A small patch, featuring minor changes such as adding new card backs and adjusting flavor text localisations.
- Patch 22.214.171.12485 - 22nd September 2014
- A medium patch, featuring two card changes and a number of bug fixes.
- Patch 126.96.36.19984 - 18th August 2014
- A small patch, fixing issues on Windows 8.
- Patch 188.8.131.5287 - 6th August 2014
- A small patch, adding support for Windows 8 mobile devices.
- Patch 184.108.40.20641 - 31st July 2014
- A bug fix patch to fix issues with purchasing the Curse of Naxxramas Plague Quarter wing.
- Patch 220.127.116.1124 - The Necropolis Beckons - 22nd July 2014
- A large patch, preparing for the release of Curse of Naxxramas, adjusting several other secondary features, and making one card change and numerous bug fixes.
Initial release[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.16834 - 30th June 2014
- A small patch, featuring several bug fixes.
- Patch 22.214.171.12406 - 28th May 2014
- A small patch, featuring a minor bug fix.
- Patch 126.96.36.19935 - 21st May 2014
- A small patch, featuring several bug fixes.
- Patch 188.8.131.5214 - 8th May 2014
- A medium patch, featuring one card change, some string changes and several bug fixes.
- Patch 184.108.40.20670 - 10th April 2014
- A small patch, featuring several bug fixes.
- Patch 220.127.116.1173 - 13th March 2014
- A small patch, featuring several bug fixes.
- Patch 18.104.22.16844 - 11th March 2014
- Patch 22.214.171.12482 - 17th January 2014
- A small patch, featuring bug fixes and two Korean language card description changes.
- Patch 126.96.36.19958 - 16th January 2014
- A medium patch, featuring changes to ten cards.
- Patch 188.8.131.5243 - 18th December 2013
- A medium patch, featuring changes to three mage cards, and one bug fix.
- Patch 184.108.40.20617 - 10th December 2013
- Patch 220.127.116.1137 - 17th October 2013
- A medium patch, featuring one card change.
- Patch 18.104.22.16890 - 2nd October 2013
- A large patch, featuring numerous changes to game systems, individual cards and non-gameplay elements. This patch was immediately preceded by a complete wipe of all Hearthstone account information and card collections.
- Patch 22.214.171.12449 - 30th August 2013
- A small patch, mostly focusing on preparing for the EU region, in which the beta was not yet available.
Alpha[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.19964 - 14th August 2013
- A small patch, featuring naming and flavor text changes to two cards and adding 900 more localized voiceovers for heroes and minions.
- Alpha patch 2 - 12th August 2013
- A large patch, featuring numerous card changes, and adding new audio and interface art.
- Patch 188.8.131.5288 - 22nd June 2013
- A large patch, featuring numerous card changes, and introducing the quest system.
- Patch 184.108.40.20640 - somewhere between April 13 and May 23 2013.
- A medium patch, featuring a number of card changes.
- Alpha patch - unknown date
- A list of all known changes between this patch and Patch 220.127.116.1140, possibly spanning multiple patches, and including numerous card changes.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The developers try to release major features in separate patches to new content such as adventures and expansions, in order to reduce the risk of problems due to the changes.
Version conflicts[edit | edit source]
Each patch represents a different version of Hearthstone, incompatible with previous versions. Because of this, players using different patches cannot be matched against each other, in order to avoid version conflict and missing data during matches. This usually only happens due to using different platforms, or because a player has not logged out and updated since the new patch has been released.
While players are required to update to the latest patch as soon as it is released on their current platform, because patches are released at different times for different platforms, it is possible to update one device to a new patch while the other is not yet able to update. Once an account has been updated to a new patch, the player will not be able to access the account on any device that has not yet updated to that patch, effectively locking out all other platforms until that patch is also released for them.
Use of older versions appears to only be permitted during the rollout period, while the patch is being rolled out to each platform in turn. Once all platforms have access to the latest patch, clients with the older version will be prevented from playing until they have updated to the latest version.
The complexity of releasing on multiple platforms can cause delays to the release of patches. Designer Dean Ayala explains, "In order to patch simultaneously on PC/Mobile there are a number of things that have to be submit and approved being we can release a new patch to the public," with the result that card changes are often postponed until the new patch is ready for all platforms.
Patch numbers[edit | edit source]
Each patch's version number charts its position in the game's history. Currently, the first part of the number is changed for each major release (expansion or adventure). From Blackrock Mountain to The League of Explorers the second part was changed with each patch, reseting to 0 at the start of each new release, but Whispers of the Old Gods has seen the second digit increased more erratically. The third digit was unused until Whispers of the Old Gods, but seems to reflect smaller progressions. The remaining digits are increased at a more erratic pace, likely reflecting revisions to in-house builds not released to the public. These digits do not increase the first three parts of the version number, and are essentially superfluous. Colloquially, patches are often referred to by the first two sections, such as "Patch 3.2". Note that these rules are not always followed; some patches fail to increase numbers, or increase numbers without including appropriate changes.
The system used until Whispers of the Old Gods was similar to that used in games like World of Warcraft, although without the division between major and minor patches, without the use of the third part of the number, and with additional digits. In comparison, "Patch 18.104.22.16856" would likely be titled "Patch 4.0.1".
Prior to the adoption of a standardised format with Blackrock Mountain neither the first nor second parts of the number were regularly increased. The game's version numbers initially began with 1.0.0. This was changed to 1.1.0 after the release of Curse of Naxxramas, and again to 1.2.0 with Patch 22.214.171.12485. The first digit was raised from 1 to 2 with the pre-patch for the game's first expansion, Goblins vs Gnomes, but was not increased to 3 until the game's second expansion, The Grand Tournament. In September 2014 Yong Woo had stated that the developers were still "tuning" their version number process. After setting a consistent patch number trend with earlier content, Whispers of the Old Gods saw sparse and erratic increases to patch numbers, entirely breaking the established pattern. The expansion's Patch 126.96.36.19907 also saw the third digit increased for the first time, previously never having had any value other than 0.
Patch numbers were first stated in official blogs with Patch 188.8.131.5243. With Patch 184.108.40.20619 the official blogs ceased to state patch numbers, instead referring to each new patch as a "Hearthstone Update".
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of April 2016, the Whispers of the Old Gods patch is the largest patch Hearthstone has ever received.
References[edit | edit source]
- Hearthpwn: Tavern Brawls and Open Q&A - BlizzCon 2015 Live Panel Recap (Fireside Chat). (2015-11-07).
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2016-04-24).
- Dean Ayala Talks About the Nerfs, Jade Concerns, and the Different Hearthstone Design Teams. (2017-02-14).
- Yong Woo on Twitter. (2014-09-23).
- Hearthstone Update – July 12, 2016. (2016-07-12).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2016-04-22).
See also[edit | edit source]
- Hotfixes - updates to Hearthstone not released in the form of client patches
- Platform-specific patch changes - a list of changes specific to the game's non-PC versions
- Card changes - a list of all changes made to specific cards
- Rule changes - a list of changes to pre-existing game mechanics
- Unknown patch - a list of changes with no certain accompanying patch or date of implementation
- Bugs - an ongoing project to chart all bugs currently affecting the game