Open the Waygate
|Set:||Journey to Un'Goro|
|Tags:||Deck-related, Spell-generating, Spell-related, Triggered effect|
Quest: Cast 6 spells that didn't start in your deck.
Reward: Time Warp.
Although powerful, the incantation is simple. It’s just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Open the Waygate||1600||400|
|Golden Open the Waygate||3200||1600|
Generated cards[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Spells that are cast by effects like Yogg-Saron's Battlecry are not counted for this quest's progress.
- Shifting Scroll does not trigger the quest since it technically doesn't generate a spell.
- A spell will count for this quest as long as the individual card did not start in the deck. A generated spell (including from Echo) will count even if it is identical to a spell that started in the deck.
- Time Warp replaces the "End Turn" button with an "Extra Turn" button, but does not end the current turn immediately. The player cannot cancel this effect once the spell has been cast. When the button is clicked, the current turn ends and the player plays a complete additional turn. More precisely:
- Multiple Time Warps stack. You take that many extra turns in a row.
- Loatheb and Millhouse Manastorm's effects remain active during extra turns granted by Time Warp, but Ice Block's immunity will wear off when the extra turn starts.
- The Coin counts for this quest's completion, since it is a spell that does not start in the player's deck.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Spells and minions which generate spells are required for this Quest. Cabalist's Tome, Babbling Book, Kabal Courier, Primordial Glyph, Mana Bind, Steam Surger, and Mukla, Tyrant of the Vale are a few examples that can do this. In Wild, Spare Parts and Nexus-Champion Saraad can also be used to complete the quest.
Timing is important once Time Warp is acquired. The effect is very powerful, but requires some set up. It can allow minions you played prior to starting the extra turn to attack, lets your active minions attack a second time, and allows a second trigger from end-of-turn effects like Ragnaros the Firelord and Emperor Thaurissan. At its most basic, this card grants the mage an extra turn's worth of mana, minus the cost of Time Warp itself - a total of 15 mana if saved until turn 10. This extra mana allows the use of card combos that would be otherwise too expensive to play without the opponent having a chance to interfere.
List of combos[edit | edit source]
Place two Arcane Giants with Time Warp, then on the extra turn use Alexstrasza's Battlecry on the opponent. Molten Giants can be added to add extra damage to this combo, which is easily playable after triggering Ice Block. This is combo is relatively simple to pull off, but is preventable with Armor and Taunt minions.
Play two Sorcerer's Apprentices, followed by one Molten Reflection to copy an Apprentice, followed by Time Warp, for a total of 8 mana. On the extra turn, play Archmage Antonidas and then play the second Molten Reflection on a Sorcerer's Apprentice for 1 mana, generating a Fireball. This 5-card combo allows the player to have infinite 0-mana Fireballs, which is nearly guaranteed to kill the opponent and is completely uninterruptible by the opponent without Secrets already in play. This combo can be started on turn 8 (with the extra turn on 9). With the coin, this combo is available on turn 7, since the second turn also only requires 8 mana .
Time Warp, Mimiron's Head, and two Target Dummies costs 10 mana to play, which will then summon V-07-TR-0N on the extra turn. While the combo itself isn't lethal, Spare Parts synergizes with the quest well and the combo can be combined with other cards to increase both flexibility and kill potential. A discounted Clockwork Gnome or Mechwarper via Emperor Thaurissan can be substituted for the Target Dummies, and V-07-TR-0N can be made lethal with Reversing Switch or Molten Reflection.
First you will use Baku the Mooneater in an Odd costed deck to upgrade your hero power to Fireblast Rank 2 at the start of the game. Play one Clockwork Automaton followed by Time Warp costing 10 mana. On the next turn play another Clockwork Automaton and two Daring Fire-Eaters for 7 mana. Leaving you with 3 mana to use your hero power, which now deals (2+4)x2x2=24 damage + the 4 attack of the Clockwork Atomaton you played the first turn of the combo. This in itself isn't lethal if the opponent has 29 or more health or 25 health and a minion with taunt but there are ways to make it lethal for up to 36 health. For example you could use Simulacrum to add an extra copy of Daring Fire-Eater to your hand at some point during the game. You can then play out three Fire-Eaters instead of two during your second turn of doing the combo. First you play one Clockwork Automaton followed by Time Warp costing 10 mana. On the next turn play another Clockwork Automaton and three Daring Fire-Eaters for 8 mana. Leaving you with 2 mana to use your hero power, which now deals (2+6)x2x2=32 damage + the 4 attack of the Clockwork Automaton you played the first turn of the combo.
Lore[edit | edit source]
The Waygate is a titan portal that leads from Sholazar Basin to Un'Goro Crater. It's been inactive for centuries, but players in World of Warcraft can reactivate it through a quest line. This card is probably inspired by that quest. It is unknown whether the Time Warp reward is specifically related to the bending of spacetime by the Waygate, or if it is generally an effect mages can achieve given an adequate source of magical power.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Open the Waygate's flavor text is a reference to "The Time Warp", a song featured in the 1973 rock musical The Rocky Horror Show.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.20617 (2017-10-17): Will now correctly progress with spells that have been replaced by Lilian Voss.
- Patch 220.127.116.1136 (2017-04-04) Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Peter Whalen on Twitter. (2017-04-02).
- Disguised Toast (2017-03-31). 6 AWESOME Combos from Journey to Un'Goro (Time Warp, Galvadon, and more!) at 5:41.
- Disguised Toast (2017-04-06). 8 NEW INTERACTIONS from Journey to Un'Goro (King Mosh, Time Warp, Swamp King Dred) - YouTube.
- The effect of Loatheb lasts for 2 turns when you use Time Warp in wild - Reddit. (2017-04-18).