Monster Hunt is a free single-player game mode added with the The Witchwood expansion. The mode released on April 26, 2018, two weeks after the release of the expansion. Monster Hunt is similar to the game mode of Dungeon Runs featured in Kobolds & Catacombs.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- The objective of the Monster Hunt is to defeat eight bosses of increasing difficulty to win the run.
- The player plays as one of four heroes, starting with a deck of ten cards, which differs for each hero.
- The player starts with 10 Health, and gains an additional 5 Health per defeated boss, up to 45 Health for the eighth, and final boss.
- The player always goes first. The enemy also does not get The Coin. On the final round, the boss starts with 2 mana crystals.
- After each round, the player is offered three bundles of three cards each. (listed below) The player can only select one of these three bundles. This allows the player to increase their deck size in tandem with the boss' decks increasing in size.
- After rounds 1 and 5, the player receives a Passive buff, selected from one of three random passive buffs from the pool of Passives. (listed below)
- These passives give a permanent effect to the player for the rest of the run. These are applied at the start of the match, meaning some buffs that affect cards will not affect cards added to your hand or deck later in the game.
- After rounds 3 and 7, the player receives a Treasure card, selected from one of three random cards from the pool of Treasure cards. (listed below) These are very powerful cards, and often have low mana costs.
- If the player beats a run with a given hero for the first time, the hero is given a crown on the selection page.
- Once the player has beaten the run with all four heroes, the Final Challenge is unlocked.
Heroes[edit | edit source]
Four special heroes are featured, each having access to a special hero power and special new cards:
- Tess Greymane – Tracker (Rogue)
- Darius Crowley – Cannoneer (Warrior)
- Houndmaster Shaw – Houndmaster (Hunter)
- Toki, Time-Tinker – Time-Tinker (Mage)
Starting Cards[edit | edit source]
Upon starting a fresh Monster Hunt, a player is given a deck of 10 cards. These decks are always the same for that class. Each deck runs one copy of each of the cards in the below lists.
|Fan of Knives|
|On the Hunt|
|Unleash the Hounds|
Loot Cards[edit | edit source]
Treasures[edit | edit source]
- Boss encounters
Card Bundles[edit | edit source]
After each win, the player gets to choose three cards to add to their deck. The three cards chosen belong to the same bundle, being selected from it randomly; the player then chooses one selection of three cards from three options. Each selection may contain multiple copies of the same card.
User consensus is that once a specific bundle type, for example pirates, is chosen it becomes more likely to appear again, allowing the use of "tribe" synergy.
Tess Greymane[edit | edit source]
Darius Crowley[edit | edit source]
Houndmaster Shaw[edit | edit source]
Toki, Time-Tinker[edit | edit source]
Bosses[edit | edit source]
Some bosses are exclusive to certain classes.
|Boss||Encountered in Round||Hero Power||Notes|
|A Mangy Wolf||1||Guttural Howl: "Give a random minion in your hand +1/+1." (1 Mana)||Plays a "companionship" hunter deck.|
|Azalina Soulthief||6||8||Unfinished Business: "Summon three 1/1 Wisps." (2 Mana)||Plays a buff/swarm paladin deck.|
|Baran the Blind||4||5||Bulldoze: "Spend all your armor. Deal that much damage to a random minion." (1 Mana)|
|Beastly Pete||4||5||Beast Within: "Give your minions +1 Attack." (2 Mana)||Plays ever so aggressively.|
|Blood Witch Gretta||4||5||Blood Red Apple: "Spells cost Health instead of Mana." (Passive)||Plays a mage deck with lots of secrets. Play as few spells as possible, or just gains a bunch of life afterwards.|
|Brushwood Centurion||4||5||Survival of the Fittest "All minions attack random enemy minions." (3 Mana)||Plays a pain warrior deck; plays a lot of high-attack minions and instant-kill cards.|
|Captain Shivers||8||Plunder: "Draw a weapon from your deck." (0 Mana)||Tracker's Final Nemesis. Plays a Kingsbane deck. Starts the game equipped with a Kingsbane.|
|Chupacabran||4||5||Bloodthirst: "Give a friendly minion Lifesteal." (1 Mana)||Drops the Vampiric Fangs active treasure.|
|Cragtorr||6||7||One With the Trees: "Reduce the cost of all minions in your hand by (1)." (2 Mana)||Plays a Jungle Giants deck. Beware of Y'Shaarj.|
||At 1/2 Health, transforms into Beastly Pete. Gains 15 Armor and changes Hero Power to Beast Within.|
|Cultist S'thara||2||3||Poisoned Drink: "Whenever a player draws a card, deal 1 damage to them." (Passive)|
|Cutthroat Willie||2||3||Shank: "Deal 1 damage to a minion. Draw a card." (2 Mana)||Plays rogue pirates.|
|Doctor Sezavo||2||3||Hollow Needle: "Deal 1 damage to a minion. If it dies, restore 3 Health to your hero." (2 mana)||Plays aggressive priest.|
|Experiment 3C||7||Consume: "Destroy a friendly minion, then draw 3 cards." (1 Mana)||Plays a deck with all the tribes included. Drops the Amalgamate active treasure.|
|Face Collector||6||7||A New Face: "Transform a minion into a random one that costs (2) more." (0 Mana)||Plays a copy of your deck.|
|Forlorn Lovers||6||8||Together Forever: "Whenever a friendly minion dies, shuffle a copy into your deck." (Passive)||Plays a mill rogue deck.|
|Garrow, the Rancorous||4||5||Death and Taxes: "Deal 1 damage to your opponent for each minion they control." (1 Mana)|
|Glinda Crowskin||8||False Heart: "While you control a minion, your hero is Immune." (Passive)||Houndmaster's Final Nemesis. Plays a pain-oriented warlock deck, using False Heart to prevent damage.|
|Gnarlroot||2||3||Splinter: "Take 2 damage. Summon a 2/2 Treant." (1 Mana)|
|Gnomenapper||6||7||Nab: "Put an enemy minion into a sack." (2 Mana)||Sack has 3 health and re-summons the minion when destroyed. Drops the Sack of Gnomes active treasure.|
|Gobbles||1||Starving: "Whenever a friendly Beast dies, draw a card." (Passive)||Plays a beast hunter deck.|
|Gravekeeper Damph||3||Grave Mistake: "Trigger all minions' Deathrattles twice." (3 Mana)||Drops the Grave Mistake active treasure.|
|Griselda||2||3||Witch's Kiss: "Transform a random minion into a 0/1 Frog with Taunt." (2 Mana)|
|Groddo the Bogwarden||6||8||From the Swamp: "Whenever an enemy dies, raise a 1/3 Bloated Zombie." (Passive)||Bloated Zombie has "Deathrattle: Deal 1 damage to all characters."|
|Grubb the Swampdrinker||3||4||Chuck: "Destroy a friendly minion and deal its Attack to the enemy hero." (1 mana)||Drops the Chuck active treasure.|
|Grum||4||5||Terrify: "Shuffle a minion into its owner's deck. It costs (4) less." (3 Mana)|
|Gustave, the Gutripper||5||Cull the Meek: "Destroy a minion with the lowest Attack." (1 Mana)|
|Infinite Toki||8||Chronoacceleration: "Give a friendly minion Mega-Windfury. At the end of your turn, it dies." (2 Mana)||Time Tinker's Final Nemesis. Plays an aggressive elemental deck.|
|Inquisitor Hav'nixx||4||5||Devour Soul: "Halve the enemy hero's Health." (4 Mana)||Plays a burn priest deck.|
|Lord Godfrey||8||Pistol Barrage: "Deal 2 damage to a minion and the minions next to it." (1 Mana)||Cannoneer's Final Nemesis.|
|Manhunter Ivan||4||5||Trap Preparation: "Put a random Secret from your deck into the battlefield." (2 mana)||Individual introduction for every hero.|
|Niira the Trickster||2||3||Unstable Growth: "Give all minions +1/+1." (1 Mana)|
|Plaguemaster Rancel||4||5||Poison Flask: "Deal 2 damage to a minion. If it survives, give it Poisonous." (2 Mana)|
|Raeth Ghostsong||6||8||Desecrate: "Deal 1 damage to all minions. If any die, refresh this." (1 Mana)||Drops the Shallow Graves active treasure.|
|Ratcatcher Hannigul||4||5||Cannibalism: "Whenever a minion dies, give the adjacent minions +1 Attack." (Passive)|
|Ravencaller Cozzlewurt||2||3||Call of the Raven: "Add a random 1-Cost minion to your hand." (1 Mana)|
|Rottooth||1||Fading Bite: "Gain +2 Attack this turn." (2 Mana)|
|Sazzmi Gentlehorn||3||Infatuation: "Gain control of enemy minions with 1 or less Attack." (1 Mana, autocast)||Drops the Enchanted Tune active treasure.|
|Sephira Dusktalon||4||5||Tangled Wrath: "Whenever your opponent casts a spell, draw a spell from your deck." (Passive)|
|Shudderwock||4||5||Frumiosity: "All Battlecries trigger twice." (Passive)|
|Splintergraft||4||5||Grafted Bark: "Choose a minion. Add a 2/2 copy to your hand that costs (2)." (2 Mana)|
|The Mute||2||3||...: "Silence a minion." (1 Mana)||Plays silence priest.|
|The Scarecrow||7||8||Harvest: "Destroy a friendly minion. Restore 8 Health to your hero." (1 Mana)||Starts the game equipped with a Scythe, and drops it as an active treasure.|
|The Whisperer||6||7||Echoes of the Witchwood: "All spells have Echo." (Passive)|
|Vitus the Exiled||6||7||Monstrous Aura: "Your minions have +1/+1." (Passive)|
|Wharrgarbl||3||It's Raining Fin!: "Draw 3 Murlocs from your deck." (2 Mana)||Drops the Murloc Infestation active treasure. Plays a Unite the Murlocs deck.|
|Winslow Tobtock||4||5||Hypnotize: "Each player shuffles their hand into their deck and draws that many cards." (2 Mana)|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- When playing Tess, an effective strategy is picking card bundles with one or more Jade Shuriken spells. Once one has been played within a game, Tess' hero power Scavenge allows you to easily generate more copies and increase the power of your Jade Golems. The Cult of the Wolf passive synergizes incredibly well with this.
- When playing Darius, playing your minions on both sides of the Cannon keeps it near the center, and able to hit any enemy minions summoned. Conversely, playing your minions on only one side will push the Cannon outwards and allow it to strike the enemy hero directly.
- To get the most out of Fire!, manage your minion positioning and number (similar to Chess encounter). This can allow your Cannon(s) to strike two minions at once, which can be extremely useful on certain bosses, for example the Wisps of Azalina Soulthief.
- Additionally, you can summon small minions for your opponent (such as with Hungry Dragon) so that you can fire multiple times, triggering any Inspire effects.
- When playing Houndmaster Shaw, get Companionship as soon as possible and Entrenchment so your hero power summons 3/3's with Rush.
- When playing with Toki, one way to play is with an Open the Waygate deck. Your Hero Power will let you retry. For example, if you use Babbling Book and got a spell you won't use such as Shatter when you have no freezing cards, you can use Temporal Loop to try again.
- The Double Time passive is incredibly useful, too. If you pick it up, you can use it with spell-producing spells like Primordial Glyph, and better still Time Warp. Just try not to pick anything that is able to damage your board severely, such as Pyroblast, which may kill you if you are low on health and hits you. You can also pair it up with a Robe of the Magi or another Double TIme so that your spells that only targets enemies, such as Cinderstorm, will get a huge boost.
Videos[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Hearthstone - The Witchwood. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2018-04-10.