|Tags:||Combat-related, Triggered effect|
Secret: When a character attacks your hero, instead he attacks another random character.
Sometimes it's as simple as putting on a fake mustache and pointing at someone else.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Misdirection can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Misdirection can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Misdirection functions for both minion and hero attacks, and can select any minion or hero that is in play and not mortally wounded (0 or less Health) as a target for the redirected attack, other than the attacker and the original defender.
- If a minion is misdirected to attack its controlling hero, the Attack value listed on the hero's portrait will be used to determine combat damage dealt with the minion. Weapons will not lose Durability when the equipped hero is the defender in combat initiated by Misdirection, even on that hero's turn, since Durability is only consumed when attacking.
- Misdirection triggers in the same step of the attack sequence as Snake Trap, Freezing Trap, Explosive Trap, Forgetful effects, and several other Secrets. Therefore, all such effects occur in order of play.
- For example, Freezing Trap or Explosive Trap triggering before Misdirection can prevent Misdirection from activating. But if Misdirection is played first, Freezing Trap or Explosive Trap will trigger after it and may render Misdirection having triggered meaningless, such as by killing the new defender or removing the attacker, thus canceling the combat. As with any canceled attack, if the attacker is still in play, it will not be exhausted or lose weapon Durability.
- Misdirection will not trigger if there are no defensive targets available which the attacker could be redirected to after previous effects are finished. For instance, if Explosive Trap triggers first, mortally wounding all possible targets for Misdirection, Misdirection will not trigger.
- Misdirection, like Freezing Trap, will not trigger if the attacker is neutralized by a previous effect, specifically if it has left play (such as by a return to hand effect), is mortally wounded (0 or less Health), or is being destroyed (such as by Vaporize).
- Combat involving Misdirection may also trigger other Secrets which would not have triggered from attacking the original target. For example, if an attack was directed at the enemy hero, but was redirected to target an enemy minion, Snake Trap can also trigger. (Note that friendly Secrets can only trigger on the opponent's turn, so a Misdirected minion or hero hitting a friendly character will not trigger friendly Secrets.)
- Misdirection will not trigger if all other characters are Immune. In addition, evidence suggests with 99.2% confidence (1/128 probability of being incorrect) that Misdirection cannot select an Immune character as the defender, even if it does trigger.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Misdirection is a more situational secret compared to other hunter secrets. It is best used when the board is not controlled, ensuring that an enemy will be chosen as the target. Misdirection is comparable to Sudden Betrayal, but Misdirection has the ability to end the game if the opponent happened to choose a large minion when lacking health.
Misdirection is generally underwhelming when heroes have abundant amounts of health, as Explosive Trap is better at clearing off small minions and Freezing Trap is better at clearing individual big minions. Despite that, Misdirection is still a valid tech card against decks primarily made of large minions, such as Khadgar Mage, Even Warlock, or Big Priest
Lore[edit | edit source]
Misdirection is a hunter ability in World of Warcraft that causes the hunter to shift all threat caused by their next attack and all actions afterward for eight seconds to a pre-selected party or raid member (such as a tank in a raid).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Fires of Outland" series, for the card Misdirection.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X489LReL2QI Tested in Patch 184.108.40.20657 (Boom Bot vs. Annoy-o-Tron Tavern Brawl patch)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmKuR0ufIjM Tested in Patch 220.127.116.1156 (2015-12-04)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-7qfkTmKZc Tested in Patch 18.104.22.16874 (WotOG patch)
- https://youtu.be/4jQfTxe7UY4 Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12466 (2016-04-14)
- Tested by culinko in Patch 126.96.36.19966 (2016-04-14). Attacked with minion A into the enemy hero with Misdirection. Only other target was minion B, made Immune using Bestial Wrath. New defender was always the friendly hero. Tested 7 times.