|Set:||The Boomsday Project|
|Tags:||Battlefield-related, Deck-related, Hand-related|
Deathrattle: If you have no cards in your deck, hand, and battlefield, destroy the enemy hero.
"Your software will fail. Your users will abandon you. You are already obsolete."
How to get[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Mecha'thun will destroy the enemy hero even if the controlling player has Secrets or Weapons equipped.
- Destroying Mecha'thun with a Reincarnate will successfully activate the Deathrattle effect if its condition is satisfied.
- Mecha'thun will destroy the enemy hero even if the controlling player controls a Permanent. It is unknown whether this is a bug or intended.
- Mecha'thun's effect will destroy immune heroes.
- Mecha'thun's effect still activates even if there is a friendly minion with Reborn destroyed, since Reborn effects always trigger after Deathrattles.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Mecha'thun offers one of the few guaranteed win conditions in the game, but its requirements are very demanding. Not only is drawing out your entire deck a time-consuming process, emptying out your hand and clearing out all other friendly minions is just as tricky. Otherwise, as a vanilla 10/10 it's largely useless.
If you play Mecha'thun with no assistance, there is no guarantee it will survive to the next turn to combo it to meet the requirements. Even if you filled all the requirements, there's always a chance it could get silenced or transformed on the opponent's turn, negating all your hard work. One-turn combos are still possible however by summoning it through alternative means or using Galvanizers to reduce its cost to be more manageable.
Potentials combos to instantly kill Mecha'thun include:
- Play Mecha'thun as well as two Ticking Abominations, using N'Zoth, the Corruptor and Feign Death (playing Emperor Thaurissan with these two cards in your hand will provide the discount you need) to resurrect them all and trigger all their deathrattles. This combo relies on only N'Zoth and Feign Death being in your hand, but ignores your board state as you will be dealing 20 damage to your own side of the board. Alternatively, using Galvanizer to reduce Mecha'thun's cost and having Goblin Prank as the only card left will ensure that Mecha'thun will die at the end of your turn.
- Play an 8-mana Mecha'thun followed by Preparation and Walk the Plank. Rogues have the advantage of having Myra's Unstable Element to empty their deck once they drew the combo pieces. Anka, the Buried can also be used to make Mecha'thun's cost more manageable, as well as allowing use of other cards to kill Mecha'thun, such as Backstab or Shiv.
- Play an 8-mana Mecha'thun, followed by Bloodbloom and Cataclysm. This combo is the most simple to execute and ignores your board state and hand, and can also be used with Genn Greymane strategies since all the cards in question (including the Galvanizers) are even-cost (the discounted hero power will allow you to draw through your deck more quickly as well). Emperor Thaurissan can replace the Galvanizers by discounting both Bloodbloom and Mecha'thun.
- Play a 9-mana Mecha'thun with Plague of Flames. This has the benefit of not requiring to kill off your remaining minions.
- While your hand only consists of Dollmaster Dorian, Plot Twist, Shriek, Grim Rally, and Mecha'thun, play Dollmaster Dorian then Plot Twist, kill Dorian with Grim Rally, then play Shriek.
- Play The Boomship with Mecha'thun and Malygos in your hand, then use Inner Rage on both minions and a Whirlwind to kill them both. This combo doesn't require Galvanizer, and you can have up to 5 minions on your side of the board provided none of them are above 6 health.
- Play Mecha'thun at some point during the game (preferably after Dr. Boom, Mad Genius to use it as a 10/10 Rush). Finish with Da Undatakah, Inner Rage, and Devastate. This only requires four combo cards and three of the combo pieces have applicability in other matchups, although it limits you from using other Deathrattle minions.
- A backup strategy with Mecha'thun Warrior is to use Galvanizer for a 9-mana Mecha'thun then kill it with Shield Slam. While there's no guarantee you will have 10 Armor, control Warrior decks often find themselves with very large amount of armor stockpiled up.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- The era of flesh has ended.
- Death is close.
Lore[edit | edit source]
As the name suggests, Mecha'thun appears to be a mechanical version of the Old God C'Thun. This version of the Old God is unique to Hearthstone. It was created as part of Dr. Boom's Boomsday Project, "for some reason".
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A very early design for the card that became Mecha'thun was a doomsday scientist intent on destroying the world, with one version being a goblin called "Doctor Doomsday". Since its win condition was to destroy the whole world, it had to have a cost of 10 mana; specifically, a 10-mana 1/1 minion with the text: "Battlecry: If this is the only thing in your hand or deck or battlefield, you win". However, Blizzard then wanted to go one step further, requiring the player to have no minions in their battlefield in order to activate the card's effect, so it was changed to a Deathrattle. Having the minion be a 1/1 made it too easy to kill, and having a giant robotic Old God provided the cooler fantasy, so the minion was changed to the 10-mana 10/10 Mecha'thun.
- Mecha'thun's flavor text is a reference to various famous C'Thun quotes from World of Warcraft, many of which were repurposed for C'Thun's original Hearthstone debut in Whispers of the Old Gods.
- Mecha'thun's summoning quote reminds vaguely a quote from the Animatrix  "Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you.", soon after that quote, there's a violent thermonuclear bombing explosion, resembling the dramatic deathrattle of this minion.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.199770 (2018-08-02): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Peter Whalen on Twitter. (2018-07-29).
- HysteriA (2018-08-10). Hearthstone Mythbusters 60 - BOOMSDAY SPECIAL. YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-08-11.
- HysteriA (2018-08-28). Hearthstone Mythbusters 62. YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-08-31.
- Mecha'thun + The Darkness. (2018-08-12). Retrieved on 2018-08-12.
- Unused Dr. Boom boss encounter dialogue
- Cam Shea (2018-09-27). Hearthstone: Team 5 on Designing The Boomsday Project's Legendaries. IGN. Retrieved on 2018-10-02.