Master of Disguise
Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth until your next turn.
She's actually a male tauren. People don't call him "Master of Disguise" for nothing.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Master of Disguise can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Regular Master of Disguise can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Master of Disguise||100||20|
|Golden Master of Disguise||800||100|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If a minion already has Stealth when you use Master of Disguise, the minion will lose Stealth on the next turn anyway. This may be a bug.
- If your opponent stealths a minion with Master of Disguise and you steal the affected minion (such as by using Sylvanas Windrunner), the minion will still unstealth at the start of your opponent's turn. (Before Patch 220.127.116.1174 (WotOG patch), it would unstealth at the start of the newest controller's turn regardless of number of steals.) 
- A minor bug causes the buff to not remove itself from a minion's list of enchantments until the next turn, even if the minion attacks, losing the effect itself. If the minion afterwards gains permanent Stealth, such as due to a One-eyed Cheat activation, the buff will remove the permanent Stealth.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The Stealth granted by this card has a wide variety of uses. It can be used after another friendly minion attacks, preventing your opponent from removing it from the board with spells. In particular, cards with high Attack but low Health can benefit a lot from Stealth, being able to choose when to attack.
Note that minions who deal damage from effects other than attacking will still lose Stealth, for example Knife Juggler.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Enter the shadows!
- Blades ready!
History[edit | edit source]
Until Whispers of the Old Gods, the Stealth granted by Master of Disguise's Battlecry was not temporary, but regular Stealth, potentially allowing the target minion to stay Stealthed indefinitely. While the card had never been a popular one in the meta, Master of Disguise frequently limited design possibilities for other cards due to the combo potential of its Stealth effect. Brode remarked, "If you only knew how many cards get killed because of that one card..." Other cards were forced to change in order to avoid enabling dangerous synergies, such as Animated Armor, which was originally a neutral card, but was "NO FUN with Master of Disguise". This was eventually changed with a number of other card changes accompanying the release of game formats, designed to create a fresher meta and increase design space for future cards.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Since the minion appears to be a rogue-type, and is described in the card's flavor text as a tauren, this may partially reference the mythical tauren rogue. A light-hearted concept from the World of Warcraft community, the tauren rogue is something spoken of only in hushed whispers and with one's back firmly to a wall. These masters of shadow are rumoured to be behind all major events on Azeroth, capable of single-handedly one-shotting Deathwing without even breaking stealth. It is said that whenever a hero lands a mighty blow against a terrible foe, the true hero was likely a tauren rogue strolling past, whose elbow inadvertently brushed the enemy, killing them instantly. Naturally, these true masters of disguise have never been seen. However, only a fool would doubt their existence, and fewer still would dare to say so out loud. The myth of the tauren rogue started due to the tauren being the only original race unable to play as rogues, likely due to their large size and cloven hooves. As a result, no one has ever seen a tauren rogue, the joke being that perhaps they are "just that good".
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Magtheridon's Lair Treasure" series, for the card Cloak of the Pit Stalker.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.16874 (2016-04-24): Card text changed from "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth." to "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth until your next turn."
- Comments: "The ability of Master of Disguise to grant permanent Stealth has been a design obstacle for a long time, so we are changing Master of Disguise to only grant Stealth until the next turn. This change opens up exciting options for future cards."
- Alpha patch 2 (2013-08-12): Mana cost increased to 4, from 3. Health increased to 4, from 3.
References[edit | edit source]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk1qeAm7Qjs Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12486 (TGT patch)
- Reddit.com - Bolf should have had Animated Armor's card text. (2016-01-11).