|Abilities:||Battlecry, Put into battlefield|
Battlecry: If you control a Secret, cast a Secret from your deck.
Knew Mysterious Challenger back when he was a Mysterious Squire.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Masked Contender can be obtained through Rastakhan's Rumble card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Masked Contender can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Masked Contender||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Before 14.0, the card’s text said “play a Secret from your deck”. This phrasing caused some confusion, as the effect did not trigger Secretkeeper's effect nor upgrade Lesser Emerald Spellstone.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Masked Contender is very value-efficient in decks that run multiple Secrets, not only playing the Secret, but pulling one from your deck as well, although not as grossly efficient as Mad Scientist. Playing a Secret that isn't too easy to trigger like Rat Trap earlier works best to get Masked Contender out early. Other Secrets like Venomstrike Trap and Ice Barrier can also be used as long as you have a predictive grasp on the board situation.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Masked Contender appears to be a dire troll.
- Dire trolls or berserkers are especially large and powerful trolls.
- A small number of trolls are strikingly larger and more heavily muscled than the rest of their brethren, though there is no racial distinction between them and the rest of the troll race. A variety of reasons might be behind this unusual size and musculature. For example, they might have been altered alchemically or magically, or they might also simply have been born larger than average. Regardless of the day-to-day prejudices that these trolls must contend with from other races, dire trolls are not regarded as monstrous by other trolls.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When introduced, Masked Contender's card text differed from other minions with similar effects (like Professor Putricide). This was due to Team 5 experimenting with different wording. Masked Contender's text is intended to be similarly clear as to how its Battlecry works while also being shorter and "sounding less games-rulesy". The phrasing was changed with patch 14.0, perhaps because the phrasing caused confusion about how the card interacted with other cards like Secretkeeper.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.52845 (2018-11-29): Added.
- Patch 184.108.40.206933 (2019-04-04): Phrasing changed from “...play a Secret from your deck” to “...cast a Secret from your deck”. Card behavior did not change.
References[edit | edit source]
- Peter Whalen on Twitter. (2018-11-21).