|Abilities:||Battlecry, Put into battlefield|
Battlecry: If you control a Secret, play a Secret from your deck.
Knew Mysterious Challenger back when he was a Mysterious Squire.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Masked Contender can be obtained through Rastakhan's Rumble card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Masked Contender can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Masked Contender||1600||400|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Despite the difference in wording, Masked Contender's effect functions in the same way as Bellringer Sentry, Mad Scientist, and Mysterious Challenger in that it puts a Secret into the battlefield rather than "playing" it. As such, it will not trigger Secretkeeper's effect nor upgrade Lesser Emerald Spellstone.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Masked Contender is very value-efficient in decks that run multiple Secrets, not only playing the Secret, but pulling one from your deck as well, although not as grossly efficient as Mad Scientist. Playing a Secret that isn't too easy to trigger like Rat Trap earlier works best to get Masked Contender out early. Other Secrets like Venomstrike Trap and Ice Barrier can also be used as long as you have a predictive grasp on the board situation.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Masked Contender appears to be a dire troll.
- Dire trolls or berserkers are especially large and powerful trolls.
- A small number of trolls are strikingly larger and more heavily muscled than the rest of their brethren, though there is no racial distinction between them and the rest of the troll race. A variety of reasons might be behind this unusual size and musculature. For example, they might have been altered alchemically or magically, or they might also simply have been born larger than average. Regardless of the day-to-day prejudices that these trolls must contend with from other races, dire trolls are not regarded as monstrous by other trolls.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Masked Contender's difference in card text compared to other minions with similar effects is due to Team 5 experimenting with different wording. Masked Contender's text is intended to be similarly clear as to how its Battlecry works while also being shorter and "sounding less games-rulesy".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.199845 (2018-11-29): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Peter Whalen on Twitter. (2018-11-21).