Marin the Fox
|Set:||Kobolds and Catacombs|
Battlecry: Summon a 0/8 Treasure Chest for your opponent. (Break it for awesome loot!)
My name is Marin the Fox. You took my treasure. Prepare to die.
How to get[edit | edit source]
A single non-golden copy of Marin the Fox is automatically given to the player the first time they log into Hearthstone after November 6th, 2017 or open a Kobolds & Catacombs pack.
A golden copy of Marin the Fox could only be obtained by purchasing a ticket or Virtual Ticket to BlizzCon 2017.
Both the normal and golden version of Marin the Fox are uncraftable and cannot be crafted or disenchanted.
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Generated cards[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This minion's true strength, due to being weak for its cost, lies in its Battlecry. The treasure chest it spawns can give you some of the most powerful cards in the game. However, due to the chest's high health, you'll need a strong move to destroy it.
Marin pairs very well with Crazed Alchemist. On turn 10, you can play Marin, then the Crazed Alchemist to instantly destroy the treasure chest. Priests have more way to destroy the chest such as Shadow Word: Pain and the most effective method of them all, Topsy Turvy.
While the chest is harmless on its own, the enemy can buff the chest with cards like Bonemare to turn it into a sturdy minion, or use it for the aforementioned one-hit kill against a Priest. Warlocks can even use Treachery to give the chest to their opponent, before breaking it and stealing the treasure for themselves. Marin should be played with caution if you suspect the enemy is running these sorts of cards.
Marin's power level is similar to other legendaries; Elite Tauren Chieftain and Gelbin Mekkatorque. While it won't backfire or potentially give the enemy an advantage, the sheer range of outcomes he can produce and overall high mana cost makes him less viable in a competitive deck, even as a value play.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- One for all, and all for me.
- En garde!
Lore[edit | edit source]
Marin is unique to Hearthstone.
- Legendary adventure requires legendary adventurers, and Marin the Fox is an adventurer’s adventurer! This cunning rogue knows the ins and outs of every dungeon, and he’s delving deep into the Catacombs in search of a storied chest brimming with ridiculously powerful magical items.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- All players who log into Hearthstone starting November 6, 2017, will receive a normal copy of Marin the Fox for free. All those who attended BlizzCon 2017 or purchased a Virtual Ticket will also receive a golden copy.
- Marin the Fox is the second card that was able to be used in Play mode before the release of the expansion it belonged to, the first being Volcanosaur.
- This card's flavor text is a reference to the famous quote "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die" from the 1987 romantic comedy film The Princess Bride.
- Marin the Fox is the first card released since Dr. Boom to feature flavor text on the main body of the card. Much like Dr. Boom, it helps explain the card's comparatively complex mechanics without having all of it written out.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 220.127.116.1115 (2017-11-06): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Daxxarri (2017-11-03). Gather Your Party for Kobolds & Catacombs. Retrieved on 2017-11-05.
- Hearthstone at BlizzCon 2017: Opening Ceremony - YouTube. (2017-11-03). Retrieved on 2017-11-04.
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2017-10-27).
- Blizzard Entertainment (2017-10-30). Join Hearthstone at BlizzCon 2017. Retrieved on 2017-11-05.