Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
|Tags:||Spell-related, Triggered effect|
Whenever you cast a spell, gain +1 Attack.
These wyrms feed on arcane energies, and while they are generally considered a nuisance rather than a real threat, you really shouldn't leave them alone with a bucket of mana.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Mana Wyrm can be obtained through Classic card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Golden Mana Wyrm can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of each Ranked season.
|Golden Mana Wyrm||400||50|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Only spells cast from the owner of the card counts as spells cast.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Mana Wyrm is a fairly weak 2-cost minion that gains Attack for each spells cast. Mana Wyrm works best in Mage decks that run multiple cheap spells to take advantage of its effect early. If not dealt with, the amount of damage it deals over time can add up significantly.
Note that The Coin counts as a spell, which means its Attack will get buffed by it. With The Coin and a 1-mana spell, it will instantly turn into a 3/3.
Following the nerf that increased its Mana cost to 2, Mana Wyrm is comparable to Mana Addict but with a lower but permanent Attack buff. While weaker for burst damage, having a permanent Attack buff allows it to trade with minions more effectively. Mana Wyrm is weak for tempo when played on turn 2 and will require early follow-up spells to make it worth the risk.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Mana wyrms are floating, serpentine creatures found in the blood elven lands and some Outland zones such as Netherstorm.
- They are attracted to and feed off arcane energies, and so have been seen in Quel'Thalas and most likely other worlds throughout the Great Dark Beyond. They are generally considered more of a nuisance than a real threat, but in large numbers they can be very deadly to magical creatures and magic-users.
- According to the quest "Reclaiming Sunstrider Isle", the mana wyrms on Sunstrider Isle were guardians of the Burning Crystals, that have long been used to power the isle's experimentations, but the Scourge invasion of Quel'Thalas has driven them errant from the blood elves' magical control over them.
- More powerful mana wyrms have been seen in service to the Sunreavers, helping to guard the Dawnseeker Promontory on the Isle of Thunder. These mana wyrms specialize in shutting down and slaying enemy spellcasters, their small size often leading such victims to underestimate their power.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card's art appears to be based upon the cinematic for World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade. In it, a female blood elf caresses a mana wyrm against the backdrop of a beautiful sunset, before swiftly destroying it in order to consume its arcane energy.