|Set:||Goblins vs Gnomes|
|Abilities:||Immune, Increment attribute|
|Tags:||Area of effect, Demon-related, Ongoing effect|
Your other Demons have +2/+2. Your hero is Immune.
Mal'Ganis doesn't like being betrayed, so if you discard him, watch out.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As a non-stat adjusting ongoing effect, Mal'Ganis' Immune effect is removed immediately after death, and thus it will not protect the hero from any Deathrattles triggered by simultaneous deaths. For example, if a weakened Mal'Ganis and an Abomination are killed by a Flamestrike, the hero will lose the Immune effect before the Abomination's Deathrattle is triggered, and so will be damaged by it. On the other hand, the buff to other Demons, similarly to all other stat adjusting ongoing effects (such as Stormwind Champion), is removed only after any Deathrattles.
- Mal'Ganis will not interact with Lord Jaraxxus unless Lord Jaraxxus is put into play strictly as a minion: thus, if Lord Jaraxxus is played directly from the hand, Mal'Ganis will not buff him and will not prevent him from 'destroying' the controlling hero in order to replace him; while, if Lord Jaraxxus is put into play through a Summon or Put into battlefield effect, Mal'Ganis will grant him +2/+2.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Mal'Ganis is an extremely high-power minion with a very strong persistent effect that greatly benefits demon-based decks, but his high cost and relatively low Health makes him difficult to leave up without assistance. Protecting him is a must, so avoid playing him without any protection, such as Taunt minions. Save any Stealth granting mechanics (i.e. Finicky Cloakfield) for Mal'Ganis.
Mal'Ganis is even more impactful if he can be brought out earlier with cards like Voidcaller or Possessed Lackey. Similarly, reviving him with Bloodreaver Gul'dan is a huge blessing because he will buff every other demon that's been resurrected with him.
Floating Watcher's effect cannot be activated while Mal'Ganis is rendering the hero Immune, making the two cards somewhat antagonistic.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- I am Mal'Ganis. I am eternal!
- Tiny mortal.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- "You hear the voice of the Dark Lord. He whispers to you through the blade you wield... What does he say, young human? What does the Dark Lord of the Dead tell you now?" - Mal'Ganis, to Arthas
- Mal'Ganis was one of the nathrezim sent by Archimonde as a jailor of the Lich King. He was chosen to head up the plot to turn Prince Arthas to darkness, and make him the Lich King's greatest champion.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Reign of Fire" series, for the card Varimathras, Dreadlord Insurgent.
- This card's art actually depicts Varimathras, a nathrezim who, feigning service to Sylvanas Windrunner in exchange for her sparing his life, later staged a coup for control of the Undercity.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
Patch 22.214.171.12434 (2014-12-04): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Tested by User:Taohinton, 2014-02-22. Played Mal'Ganis then Abomination. Weakened Mal'Ganis to 2 Health. Used Hellfire. Both minions were destroyed (hero was Immune and thus protected from damage). Hero then lost Immune effect. Abomination's Deathrattle then triggered, damaging all characters, including the hero.
- Tested by User:jerodast, 2014-02-21. Played Stormwind Champion, Explosive Sheep, Azure Drake, and Annoy-o-Tron, in order. Damaged Champion and Sheep to 1 Health and removed Annoy-o-Tron's Divine Shield. Killed Champion and Sheep with Cone of Cold. The Sheep exploded, dealing 2 damage to all minions. Then the stat buffs disappeared. The Drake was left a damaged 4/3, the Annoy-o-Tron a damaged 1/1.
- Tested by User:jerodast, 2014-02-21. Played Explosive Sheep, Stormwind Champion, Annoy-o-Tron, Sen'jin Shieldmasta, and Water Elemental, in order. Damaged Champion and Sheep to 1 Health and removed Annoy-o-Tron's Divine Shield. Killed Champion and Sheep with Cone of Cold. The Sheep exploded, dealing 2 damage to all minions. Then the stat buffs disappeared. The Annoy-o-Tron was left at 1 Health, the Shieldmasta at 4, and the Elemental at 5.
- Zeriyah on Twitter. (2014-12-02).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-12-08).