|Set:||Ashes of Outland|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Destroy, Dormant, Summon|
|Tags:||Area of effect, Triggered effect|
Dormant. Battlecry: Summon three 1/3 enemy Warders. When they die, destroy all minions and awaken.
Came from another world to invade Outland and bend it to his will… only to be overthrown by an elf from another world who invaded Outland and bent it to his will.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Magtheridon is exempt from random summon or transform effects.
- Magtheridon's effect only activates if three enemy Hellfire Warders die. They have to be controlled by the enemy at time of death.
- The destruction effect is an on-awaken Triggered effect and is unrelated to killing Hellfire Warders. It will activate again on awakening if Magtheridon is made Dormant by another card (such as Maiev Shadowsong).
Strategy[edit | edit source]
With both immense stats for his 4-mana cost and a quick board clear, Magtheridon is basically a discounted Deathwing that costs 6 mana less but with a different drawback. Instead of discarding your hand as Deathwing does, Magtheridon starts Dormant and summons three Hellfire Warders that need to be defeated in order to awaken him, which can easily be done with powerful 3-damage board clears like Hellfire or Warglaives of Azzinoth. Once awakened, you can neutralize any enemy minions that pose a threat and also gain a 12/12 body with no other repercussions. The opposing player will not be able to get rid of the dormant Magtheridon when he is played, but it is possible to counter him by removing the Warders from play without killing them, such as returning them to their hand or shuffling them, or even forcibly summoning Magtheridon from your hand or deck with no way to wake him up.
Do not play Magtheridon if your opponent has 5 or more minions, as there needs to be room for three Warders so that he can fully awaken. Avoid playing Magtheridon you've received randomly if you are using multiple Resurrection effects, as he will do nothing but take up space in your board.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Release me, and I will grant you a merciful death.
- I am unleashed!
- Now die!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Magtheridon, the former Lord of Outland, is a pit lord who conquered the ruins of the orcish homeworld following its destruction. His reign was ended by the arrival of Illidan Stormrage, who took Magtheridon's throne at the Black Temple for himself. Deciding that Magtheridon would have a further part to play, Illidan had Magtheridon's body dragged to the Hellfire Citadel where he imprisoned the pit lord, leaving him at the mercy of the fel orcs. A group of adventurers entered the depths of Hellfire Citadel, released the former Lord of Outland from his bonds, and finally destroyed him, taking his head as proof of their prowess.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Magtheridon's depiction in the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game was used for Pit Lord several years before his official debut. Incidentally, Pit Lord makes a cameo in Magtheridon's demonstration trailer.
- Another image of him also appears on the artwork for Crush.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 220.127.116.11222 (2020-03-26): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Chadd Nervig on Twitter. (2020-03-22).