The massive Spider Queen births endless spiderlings to feed on the corpses of interlopers.
- For the minion card of the same name, see Maexxna
- For the Maexxna Class Challenge, see Curse of Naxxramas Class Challenges
Hero Power[edit | edit source]
Special cards[edit | edit source]
Deck[edit | edit source]
|Shaman||Reincarnate (Normal only)||2|
|Neutral||Acidic Swamp Ooze||2|
|Dire Wolf Alpha||2|
|Shade of Naxxramas||2|
|Spectral Knight (Heroic only)||2|
Starting board[edit | edit source]
Heroic Maexxna starts with 2 Haunted Creepers on the board.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Battlecry minions can be very effective in this battle; Maexxna's Hero Power will allow you to activate their effects multiple times. Conversely, minions that are built up over time via buffs or other means are very vulnerable to her Hero Power.
On Heroic, Maexxna has 2 Haunted Creepers to start. Maexxna will always use her Hero Power at the start of her turn, even if you do not have any minions on the board. Therefore if you have only 2 minions on the board you are guaranteed to get them back into your hand. Hunter class has an advantage because of Explosive Trap's ability to clear the board of 1 and 2-Health minions. For support, try Voodoo Doctor. For late game, Priestess of Elune or Earthen Ring Farseer.
Another very useful card is Wild Pyromancer. This card is best used in a deck with a lot of spells because it turns any spell you play into a Whirlwind. By using Wild Pyromancer in combination with spells, you can easily destroy all enemy minions and clear the board. Keep in mind that Maexxna also uses Sea Giants which can be easily destroyed with Big Game Hunter.
Another very fun strategy to use to beat Maexxna is to load up a deck with cheap minions that have Charge, or minions that buff attack damage like Abusive Sergeant, Dire Wolf Alpha, and Shattered Sun Cleric. Also include cards with Silence like Ironbeak Owl to silence Maexxna's Dire Wolf Alpha, if it is played. When she uses her Hero Power, you will get these minions back, so they will not die and can charge/buff/silence over and over again. Attack Maexxna directly every turn. Maexxna has no Taunt available until turn 5, so make sure to do the maximum possible damage in turns 1-4. When she does drop Sludge Belcher, use Silence or neutralization spells like Polymorph to remove the Taunt and the Deathrattle, and carry on with the above strategy. Try not to have more than 2 minions on the field at the same time, as doing so makes sure you will get both back, and not leave a minion out there to get killed.
With the release of the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion, A very easy strategy is to play Antique Healbot along with lots of Charge minions or direct damage spells. Just make sure Maexxna does not have more than 8 damage on the board, and keep replaying the Antique Healbot (after Maexxna has returned it to your hand) and use whatever mana you have left to play Charge minions or spells like Headcrack, Frostbolt or Fireball to reduce Maexxna's Health.
Paladin[edit | edit source]
The paladin is an excellent class against Heroic Mode Maexxna. Include the maximum number of these cards in your deck: Consecration, Guardian of Kings, Humility, Earthen Ring Farseer, Voodoo Doctor, Aldor Peacekeeper, Holy Light, Truesilver Champion, Light's Justice, Blessing of Kings, Blessing of Might.
The paladin class is particularly attractive here since Maexxna often has at least 3 Haunted Creepers on her board by your turn 4, and Consecration can cause her board to be flooded with 1/1 minions, impeding her from placing more minions. Humility and Aldor Peacekeeper are also able to help make her board full of minions with only 1 Attack. These cards are worth using even on small minions such as Emperor Cobra. Since Maexxna will not remove her own minions and has no method to deal damage other than her minions, this lowers her damage output to only 7 per turn. However, paladins can consistently heal 9 Health per turn using Earthen Ring Farseer and Guardian of Kings, or 8 Health using Voodoo Doctor and Guardian of Kings. This allows the Paladin to outlast Maexxna and cause her to die of fatigue or simply kill her by whittling away her Health with Charge minions.
It is worth conceding until you receive Consecration and preferably one of Humility or Aldor Peacekeeper in your starting hand. Consecration should be used on turn 4 to clear her board; if you have not receive Consecration before then, simply concede. Afterwards, use your healing cards to heal yourself, keeping in mind that the total attack of Maexxna's minions must not exceed 7.
A few points must be taken into consideration here. First, Consecration must never be used to clear the 1-Attack minions on Maexxna's side of the board. It is the main goal to limit her damage output to 7 per turn this way. Secondly, if you do not have the means to heal more than Maexxna's damage output each turn, then use Blessing of Kings and Blessing of Might liberally to clear your hand and preventing useful healing cards being discarded.
This strategy allows for a high success rate given a decent opening hand. Besides, since most of the cards listed that belong to the Classic set are not strictly necessary, the dust cost of creating this deck is low.
- Hearthpwn.com - The Arachnid Quarter Heroic Boss Deck Guides
- Hearthhead.com - Decks for Defeating Maexxna
- Mage decklist
- No Rare Mage Decklist
Videos[edit | edit source]
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Wing completion[edit | edit source]
As the final boss of the Arachnid Quarter, defeating Maexxna also unlocks the following reward:
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Encounter[edit | edit source]
Maexxna does not talk due to the fact that she is a giant spider. Instead she communicates with various different noises.
- Maexxna is a GIANT SPIDER! MUAHAHAHA
- What do you call a player who just had his minion webbed? DOOMED!
- Her poison will make your death *mostly* painless.
- Sea Giant?? Maexxna, that is not on my approved card list!
- Impossible! This is not over, PUNY MORTAL!
- You think that card will help you? You are sorely mistaken. (getting Maexxna for completing the Arachnid Quarter)
Lore[edit | edit source]
In Curse of Naxxramas[edit | edit source]
- The poisons Grand Widow Faerlina concocts come from the spiderlings produced by Maexxna, a massive spider taken from the depths of Northrend. She feasts on those foolish enough to enter the necropolis, producing spider after spider that Kel'Thuzad uses to his own foul ends.
In World of Warcraft[edit | edit source]
- "Maexxna — born deep within the mountains of Northrend many ages ago, she was captured within the dread citadel Naxxramas, where she gives birth to her brood, feeding them the corpses of all who dare venture too deeply into Naxxramas."
- - Commander Eligor Dawnbringer
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of October/November 2014, Maexxna was the deadliest Naxxramas boss in Heroic mode.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Naxxramas Raid Deck" series, for the card Maexxna.
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 220.127.116.1124 (2014-07-22): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Naxxramas, the Floating Necropolis (official blog). (2014-07-03).
- Fireside Chat - Mobile Development Update. (2014-10-21).