- For the minion of the same name, see Khadgar (minion).
Background[edit | edit source]
- The Archmage Khadgar is a well-known hero to the denizens of Azeroth! Once Medivh’s apprentice, now he’s renowned as one of the most powerful Mages in history! Whether battling against shadowy councils, or holding the line against unwelcome iron incursions, Khadgar is always a staunch guardian of Azeroth and the entities that call it home.
- Khadgar is perhaps the most accomplished of all living wizards and one of the most powerful magi in Azerothian history. He was an apprentice to the Guardian Medivh, until he helped defeat his possessed master. Though cursed with frailty and age, Khadgar nevertheless has been an exemplar for the Alliance, destroying the Dark Portal in the Second War, leading the Alliance Expedition to Draenor, and counterattacking against the Burning Legion and all who would threaten his world with annihilation.
- While a hero of the Alliance, Khadgar is willing to work with the Horde for the greater good of Azeroth. As a member of the Council of Six, Khadgar hopes to drive the politics out of the Kirin Tor, and has been known to clash with the more partisan members of the council.
- During the events of Warlords of Draenor, Khadgar leads the forces of the Alliance and the Horde to shut down the Dark Portal in Draenor, and later works with them to cripple the Iron Horde in various areas of the world. He also focuses heavily on combating Gul'dan and the Shadow Council.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Khadgar is unavailable to new players. It's unknown if he will become available again.
Previous availability[edit | edit source]
On April 14, 2016, Patch 126.96.36.19966 released Khadgar as part of an iOS-only "Apps For Earth" promotion, with 100% of proceeds going to the World Wildlife Fund. From April 14th 2016 to April 24th 2016, Khadgar was available for the following prices, notably lower than those for other alternate heroes:
|$ 4.99||€ 4.99||£ 3.99||$ 7.99|
During this initial release, Khadgar could only be purchased using an iOS device, but once purchased Khadgar could be used when playing on any device.
In a later promotion in China, Khadgar was offered for playing Heroes of the Storm.
From February 26th 2020 to March 4th 2020, Khadgar returned to the store in Patch 188.8.131.52174, available for purchase by all players across all platforms, for the prices listed below:
|$ 9.99||€ 9.99||£ 8.99||$ ---|
Functionality[edit | edit source]
Once unlocked and selected for use, Khadgar is used as the hero whenever playing with a mage deck. Khadgar comes with his own portrait, emotes, and hero tray art, as well as featuring a special animation when using his Hero Power, Fireblast.
For more information, see Alternate heroes.
Flavor text[edit | edit source]
When viewed in the Collection, Khadgar has the following flavor text:
- His statue in Stormwind reflects his heroism, not his ego.
- Khadgar was available as a special promotion in April 2016.
Emotes[edit | edit source]
|Thanks||Thank you, my friend.|
|Well played||Well Played.|
|Greetings||Greetings, fellow seeker of truth.|
|Mirror Greetings||May we find what we seek.|
|Oops||Oh my. Oops.|
|Threaten||Time for a lesson, insolent pup!|
|Concede||Well done. You win.|
|Opening remark||Knowledge is power.|
|Mirror start||May we learn much together.|
|Thinking ||Observe and reflect...|
|Thinking ||There must be a way...|
|Running out of time||Look at the time!|
|Almost out of cards||I'm almost out of cards.|
|Out of cards||I'm out of cards!|
|Error: Too many minions||I have too many minions.|
|Error: Generic||I cannot do that.|
|Error: Hand already full||My hand is full!|
|Error: Hero already attacked||I already attacked.|
|Error: Minion not ready||Give that minion a turn to get ready.|
|Error: Minion exhausted||That minion already attacked.|
|Error: Not enough mana||I don't have enough Mana.|
|Error: Need a weapon||I need a weapon.|
|Error: Can't play that card||I can't play that.|
|Error: Can't target stealthed minions||I cannot target Stealthed minions.|
|Error: Not a valid target||That's not a valid target.|
|Error: Must attack taunt minion||A minion with Taunt is in the way.|
|Selection in Arena||Wisdom is greater than strength.|
|Lunar New Year Greetings||Greetings, fellow seeker of truth.|
|Winter Veil Greetings||Happy Feast of Winter Veil!|
|Pirate Day Greetings||We celebrate sea criminals today?|
|Midsummer Fire Festival Greetings||A grand Midsummer to you.|
Unused[edit | edit source]
|Sorry||Oh dear. Sorry.|
|Good game||Well, now. This was a good game!|
History[edit | edit source]
Khadgar was released on April 14, 2016, in Patch 184.108.40.20666, as part of an iOS-only "Apps For Earth" promotion, with 100% of proceeds going to the World Wildlife Fund.
Due to coordination issues, the accompanying patch was released on iOS prior to other platforms, resulting in some problems for those trying to play with the hero. Because of the way the game handles players using different patch versions, those who had logged in with an updated client on iOS were then unable to log in on other platforms, due to the patch not yet being available except on iOS. In addition, players who had updated were unable to be matched against opponents who had not yet updated to the upcoming patch. This behaviour is normal for patch updates, but was notable in this case due to the patch being unavailable on most platforms, with a relatively long delay before full release.
The problem was resolved with the release of the patch on other platforms around 10 hours later.
Khadgar returned to the store in Patch 220.127.116.11174, available for purchase by all players from February 26th, 2020 until March 4th.
Card back[edit | edit source]
Purchasing Khadgar unlocks the following card back. This card back was also given to all players who had obtained Khadgar previously.
Artist[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.168174 (2020-02-26): Once again available for purchase. Now has a special card back.
- Patch 22.214.171.12419 (2016-07-12): Khadgar's portrait now has a drop shadow.
- Patch 126.96.36.19974 (2016-04-24):
- Wow emote added. Sorry emote no longer available.
- No longer available for purchase.
- Patch 188.8.131.5266 (2016-04-14): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Khadgar Comes to the Tavern! (2016-04-14)
|1,000 wins portraits|
|Free heroes: promotional and special events|
|Purchasable heroes: pre-orders and limited availability|