|Set:||Journey to Un'Goro|
|Tags:||Attack-related, Beast-generating, Triggered effect|
Quest: Summon 5 minions with 5 or more attack.
Forming the Golakka Crater was the end of Barnabus' disastrous career as a dancer.
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Jungle Giants||3200||1600|
Generated cards[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If a minion is less than 5 attack but buffed by an Aura to 5+ attack when played, it will NOT add 1 to the quest counter. (Ex. If Azure Drake is pulled onto the battlefield adjacent to Dire Wolf Alpha it will [not] advance Jungle Giants). This was changed in Update 11.2.
- If a minion is less than 5 attack (in hand) but buffed by to 5+ attack when played or summoned, it will NOT add 1 to the quest counter. (Playing Faceless Manipulator targeting a 5-attack minion will [not] advance Jungle Giants. It will be considered a 3/3.). This was also changed in Update 11.2.
- A minion that is transformed by Potion of Polymorph when played will NOT add 1 to the quest counter.
- Hemet, Jungle Hunter will not destroy cards in the deck reduced to 0 mana cost by Barnabus the Stomper, if their base cost is 4 or greater. This is likely because Hemet only looks at the base mana cost of cards in the deck, not modified costs.
- Recruit effects will consider all minions in your deck with reduced cost as 0-Mana cards. This allows cards like Oaken Summons and Grizzled Guardian to Recruit cards that normally cost 5 or more.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
As straightforward as this quest and its reward may be, it may be the most difficult quest to make actual use of. Assuming that you summon one 5-attack minion each turn, starting with turn three, you will finish this quest by turn seven and summon Barnabus by turn eight, then draw your first discounted minion by turn nine. By then, you already have enough mana to cast virtually any card in your deck. In other words: This quest is only useful if your deck intends to do things that cost more than ten mana. On the other hand, it allows you to do just that, so if you plan your deck accordingly, the payoff can be tremendous.
The real benefit of having your minions cost nothing is that you can play as many of them in one turn as you like, creating a huge tempo-advantage. If your strategy only relies on topdecking, you will not make any use of your quest reward, since you can only play one card a turn (which you can play anyway as established before). With this in mind, Jungle Giants is suited best for a deck with lots of draw-effects. Nourish and Ultimate Infestation are an obvious choice, but card-draw-effects on minions are also worth considering. Ancient of Lore is especially useful because it also helps fulfilling the quest in the first place. Druid Recruit cards like Grizzled Guardian can Recruit the minions with reduced cost, giving them substantially more value.
Note that Barnabus only discounts cards that are in your deck as you summon him. Any minions in your hand will remain unchanged. Also, cards that are generated in your hand will not be discounted.
Lore[edit | edit source]
The longneck Barnabus is unique to Hearthstone.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During the expansion's teaser period, the art for this card was shown as an old-fashioned photograph, alongside the text, "Journey out with five others searching for the legendary Barnabus!"
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.19936 (2017-04-04) Added.