|Tags:||Elemental-generating, Triggered effect|
|Artist:||Alex Horley Orlandelli|
Whenever you play a card, summon a 2/1 Flame of Azzinoth.
Illidan's brother, Malfurion, imprisoned him beneath Hyjal for 10,000 years. Stormrages are not good at letting go of grudges.
- For the tutorial boss of the same name, see Illidan Stormrage (boss)
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Illidan Stormrage||3200||1600|
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Events with Knife Juggler[edit | edit source]
- There is a noteworthy bug that involves both Illidan and Knife Juggler. When Knife Juggler's triggered effect is activated upon Illidan summoning a Flame of Azzinoth, the card used to activate Illidan's effect will be queued between Knife Juggler's trigger and all subsequent events. This is because Knife Juggler's effect triggers between all other summon-based triggered effects (see its Notes for details) and events such as cards being played and Deathrattles. These interactions are easily seen with Explosive Sheep and Anub'ar Ambusher also on the board.
- If Illidan's ability was triggered by a targeted spell or a minion with a targeted Battlecry, the effect will still retain its original target even if the targeted minion(s) are returned to the hand or shuffled into the deck. The returned minion will have its stats reset, but it will receive damage, enchantments or transformations accordingly, and retain these changes upon being played. The effect's animation will also be positioned towards wherever the returned card is (even in the deck).
- If the minion was targeted by a field-exclusive effect before being returned to the hand, the effect's equivalent for the hand will occur instead. Take control effects will result in the minion moving to the other player's hand, and instant destroy effects will result in the minion being discarded instead. In the case that both events will happen (in which a minion who has been taken control of will be destroyed if your board has seven minions), its equivalent is the controlled minion being discarded if you have 10 cards in your hand.
- This means that if you play Clutchmother Zavas, play Power Overwhelming on her to trigger Illidan's ability and return her to your hand via Anub'ar Ambusher, she will have Power Overwhelming's "destroy at start of turn" enchantment, which translates to being discarded. As Clutchmother Zavas' on-discard effect causes her to return to your hand while never being considered discarded, she will retain the Power Overwhelming enchantment every time she is discarded. This continues until Zavas is played, in which she will be destroyed as usual.
- If the above setup is used and you play a Battlecry minion when Sylvanas Windrunner is on the opponent's board, killing Sylvanas will cause the controlled minion to activate its Battlecry for the other player instead.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Illidan Stormrage is a 6 mana, 7/5 minion which summons a 2/1 Flame of Azzinoth whenever you play a card. This can be used to overwhelm your opponent with a full board of minions. However, these minions will be unable to act until the next turn, leaving them vulnerable to attack from the opponent. In opposition, Illidan is a priority target, and should be silenced or destroyed as soon as possible. The Flames of Azzinoth are reasonably useful, but with only 1 health are easily defeated by AoE or the weakest of minion attacks.
Ideally, you should play multiple cards immediately after playing Illidan to make use of his ability before the opponent has a chance to remove him. This becomes easier if Illidan can be summoned into the battlefield for free, such as through Skull of the Man'ari or Possessed Lackey. If possible, use + Health buffs such as Stormwind Champion to bolster the survivability of the Flame minions, reducing the likelihood of the opponent removing them before they have time to act.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- You are not prepared!
- Alternative summon (when the enemy hero is Malfurion)
- Hello... brother.
- Who shall be next to taste my blades?
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Illidan Stormrage was the self-proclaimed Lord of Outland, ruling from the Black Temple. He was born a night elf, and as stated by Maiev Shadowsong, became "neither demon nor night elf, but something more". He was the twin brother of Malfurion Stormrage and was in love with Tyrande Whisperwind. Once an unusually gifted sorcerer, the extent of his powers became difficult to classify due to his powers increasing in large bursts as a demon hunter and having absorbed the powers of the Skull of Gul'dan.
- His pursuit of power and arcane mastery led him to commit a number of horrific acts against his own people and the races of Azeroth, including defecting to Sargeras during the War of the Ancients and creating the second Well of Eternity. For his actions, he was imprisoned for ten thousand years, until his release during the Third War. He came to be called the Betrayer for his acts against the night elf people and carried the title of Lord of Outland. Seeking to bring down her erstwhile prisoner, Maiev allied with Akama to invade the Black Temple, where she cornered Illidan in his inner sanctum and struck him down, bringing an end to one of the most tragic stories in Azeroth's history... or so it was once thought.
- "I am free after ten thousand years, yet still my own brother thinks I am a villain! I'll show him my true power! I'll show him that the demons have no hold over me!"
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When played against Malfurion Stormrage, Illidan will give a special emote reflecting that Malfurion is his brother.
- As of Saviors of Uldum , Illidan Stormrage is one of fourteen neutral demon minions (the others being Felsoul Inquisitor, Mad Summoner, Prince Malchezaar, Portal Keeper, Portal Overfiend, Sneaky Devil, Street Trickster, Vilefiend, Void Ripper, Witchwood Piper and the Imps summoned by Imp Master and Mad Summoner with Felhound summoned by Portal Keeper and Portal Overfiend). All other demons are exclusive to the warlock class.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Timewalkers" series, for the card Illidan the Betrayer.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 10.2.0.23180 (2018-02-06): (Undocumented) New animation added.
- Patch 126.96.36.19988 (2013-06-22): No longer has a Battlecry. Instead, whenever you play a card, you summon a 2/1 Flame of Azzinoth. Now costs 6 Mana, down from 7. Now has 6 Health, down from 7.
- Previously: Battlecry: Both players discard 3 cards and draw 3 cards. [7 mana, 7 attack, 7 health, Legendary]
- Alpha patch 2 (2013-08-12): Now has 5 health, down from 6.