|Abilities:||Copy, Spellburst, Summon|
|Tags:||Battlefield-related, Beast-generating, Death-related, Resurrection effect, Spell-related|
|Voice actor:||Michael McConnohie|
Spellburst: If the spell destroys any minions, summon them.
"You wish to know my secrets, hmm? I carry a little bits of tuna in the sleeves of my robe, he loves that. Oh, you meant the risen dead? That was trivial, trivial."
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Headmaster Kel'Thuzad||3200||1600|
Secret effect[edit | edit source]
Summoning 6 cat minions while Headmaster Kel'Thuzad is in play will add a copy of Mr. Bigglesworth to your hand.
This is a list of minions that count as cats for Headmaster Kel'Thuzad to summon Mr. Bigglesworth. This also counts uncollectible minions and even some adventure-exclusive minions.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Headmaster Kel'Thuzad must be alive after the spell has resolved in order for the Spellburst effect to take place.
- Minions killed through Professor Slate's effect does trigger Headmaster Kel'Thuzad, as well as killing them by swapping their health and attack such as Confuse and Topsy Turvy.
- Headmaster Kel'Thuzad does work with spells that force attacks, like Ramming Speed and Mass Hysteria.
- In the case of cards like Nagrand Slam, minions summoned and killed by the same spell will be resurrected.
- Unlike other Spellbursts, Headmaster Kel'Thuzad's Spellburst will trigger if he changes his controller by the time the spell has resolved. For example, his Spellburst will trigger if Treachery is cast on him, while all other Spellburst minions would not trigger.
- This can easily be seen if the spell is used to kill an enemy Sylvanas Windrunner if she takes control of Headmaster Kel'Thuzad, who will resummon Sylvanas (as well as any other minions killed by the spell) for your opponent.
Fixed bugs[edit | edit source]
- Internally, Headmaster Kel'Thuzad uses the same counter for both his Spellburst having been triggered and the amount of cats summoned to get Mr. Bigglesworth, which causes buggy interactions when both of Headmaster Kel'Thuzad's triggers are used simultaneously. If his Spellburst triggered first, you will only need to play four cats to get Mr. Bigglesworth. If you played a cat minion first, then playing even a non-spell card will trigger his Spellburst. This bug with cats acting as Spellburst triggers was fixed with Patch 18.104.22.168213.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Headmaster Kel'Thuzad has good stats for the cost, but his true potential lies in his Spellburst, when combined with cards like Lightning Storm or Flamestrike, given that the opposing Hero has a decent board of low-health minions. If you wish to either activate his ability later or simply cannot use it, playing it may not be such a bad idea, as your opponent will be hesitant to play any minions if they do not have an answer to Kel'Thuzad. This could backfire if your opponent has a spell like Fireball, wasting his ability.
Headmaster Kel'Thuzad is also good for stealing a single minion. Using Headmaster Kel'Thuzad followed by a Coerce or Shadow Word: Death on the 8/8 from Libram of Hope or something like Kalecgos can be devastating, sometimes more so than a board of small minions.
- Mr. Bigglesworth
The easiest way to get Mr. Bigglesworth is using Halazzi, the Lynx followed by Emperor Thaurissan. This will give you a large number of 0-mana cats, letting you easily fill the board. Keep in mind that this has no practical purpose - Mr. Bigglesworth is functionally identical to a Snowflipper Penguin - and is merely a just for fun combo.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- To control life, we must wield the power of death itself!
- Effect triggering
- You serve me now!
- Your soul is mine!
- When playing a cat
- Kitty, kitty!
- When you have 6 cats on your battlefield
- Ah, Mr. Bigglesworth!
- When Mr. Bigglesworth is destroyed
Lore[edit | edit source]
This card depicts Kel'Thuzad while he was still a human necromancer. Specifically, he is the Headmaster of Scholomance Academy.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the public Hearthstone Team AMA on April 14, 2020, the developers were hinting at cats as being a special thing in the upcoming year. This might have been a reference to Mr. Bigglesworth, or potentially more things still yet to come in the expansion after Scholomance Academy.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 22.214.171.124359 (2020-08-18):
- Headmaster Kel'Thuzad's Spellburst will now resurrect minions that are destroyed by spells that swap Attack and Health, and spells that have been granted Poisonous by Professor Slate.
- Summoning a cat will no longer allow Headmaster Kel'Thuzad's Spellburst to trigger on the opponent's turn. The Headmaster just gets really excited about cats...
- Server-side patch (2020-08-13): Fixed a bug where Headmaster Kel'Thuzad would not resurrect minions that were destroyed from being returned to a full hand.
- Patch 126.96.36.199613 (2020-07-30): Added.