Hagatha the Witch
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Deal damage, Gain Armor, Replace Hero Power|
|Tags:||Area of Effect, Hero Power-related|
Battlecry: Deal 3 damage to all minions.
Curse-bringer, tree-twister, mother of wretched things…Hanzo main.
- For the boss of the same name, see Hagatha the Witch (boss)
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Hagatha the Witch||1600||400|
|Golden Hagatha the Witch||3200||1600|
Generated Hero Power[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Hagatha's Battlecry is a strong AoE board clear. It does affect your own minions as well, so be careful. The Battlecry can be replicated by Shudderwock for further usage, but once again be careful about the double-edged effect, especially due to the random order of Shudderwock's mimicking.
Hagatha's passive hero power gives up the board presence of the shaman's totems, in return for constant and unpredictable value. Random Shaman spells generally include burst damage and finishers (Bloodlust, Windfury, Lava Burst) or board clears and strong removal (Hex, Lightning Storm, Volcano), among more specialised utility. Most of the randomness can be avoided as more minions are played, allowing you to average out for a variety of effects. In longer games, keeping low cost minions until Hagatha is played first can be important.
One of the risks of this card is overdrawing cards thanks to her Hero Power. Playing Hagatha with a hand of several minions can often lead to your hand being flooded, with each minion played requiring a spell afterwards in order to free space. It can get worse with minions or spells that draw or generate additional cards, or being forced to Overload and limit what you can play next turn. Try to play Hagatha only when you have a medium-sized hand or a few spells you can reliably drop.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Dark spirits, twist the trees, foul the lake, and curse this land!
Emotes[edit | edit source]
|Greetings||Welcome to my domain.|
|Mirror Greetings||Let us go then, you and I.|
|Well Played||Well played.|
|Wow||By the night!|
|Threaten||The curse take you!|
|Attack||My curse on you!|
|Thinking ||A path dimly lit...|
|Concede||You win this time.|
|Running out of time||I must decide!|
|Almost out of cards||I'm almost out of cards!|
|Out of cards||I'm out of cards!|
Lore[edit | edit source]
Hagatha the Witch is unique to Hearthstone. When Hagatha took residence in the Blackwald, she twisted the woods and awakened the trees, spirits, and whatever beasts lurking in the woods to create a twisted, haunted domain. Since then, Gilneans residing near the woods have called the woods by a new name - The Witchwood.
- We do not know much about Hagatha’s true nature. Is she indeed the source of the curse, as rumored? Or is she merely another one of its victims? Was she a survivor of some great battle who dragged herself deep into the forest and fell prey to dark magic? A wicked manifestation of the forest’s anger, furious with intruders and despoilers? An unusually skilled shaman, whose ambition and desire for vengeance have outstripped all good sense?
- Somewhere, on the bank of a dank and deadly swamp in the depths of the forest, she waits. When she speaks, every malignant thing in the woods bends an ear to listen. When she breathes, coils of glowing mist drift between tangled branches, and restless spirits wake from timeless slumber. When she rages, gnarled trees with jagged grins uproot themselves, and whole hillsides rise to lumber into the night. When she dreams, the people of Gilneas have recurring nightmares of a great serpent that threatens to devour the moon. In her despair, the vile and bizarre Shudderwock stalks the land.
- She is terrifying, but she isn’t a mindless force of nature, nor is she all-powerful. She is lucid, cunning, and plotting.
- We do not know why she hates this city and its people, nor whether she really even does—Gilneas may be just an obstacle to a larger goal. Whatever Hagatha’s ultimate motive, the curse is already closing its shadowy claws around the city, and she will not stop until it is lost to the Witchwood.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hagatha was first teased/half-revealed at the end of The Witchwood announcement video, with Dave Kosak fearing the sudden appearance of "Hagatha the Witch" and mentioning "We Cannot Make That Card" twice with a frightened expression while Ben Brode fearing the powers and abilities of "Hagatha the Witch" says that "It's Too OP" to make it as a hero card before the three of them (Dave Kosak, Ben Brode and Ben Thompson) run away from the place in fear while leaving behind the camera they brought along which then focuses at the picture of the newly created "Hagatha the Witch" hero card whose wicked and sinister laughter is heard at the end of the video.
- Hagatha originated from a concept drawn by Jomaro Kindred, who has described the character as "a lot of things I like and a lot of things that I'm afraid of at the same time".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 220.127.116.1166 (2018-04-10): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ben Brode. (2018-3/12).
- Daxxarri (2018-04-11). The Witchwood – Mysterious Missives Part 1. Retrieved on 2018-04-13.
- Hearthstone: The Witchwood Behind the Scenes (2:08). (2018-04-12). Retrieved on 2018-04-13.