|Tags:||Damage-related, Death-related, Health-related, Triggered effect|
|Voice actor:||Darin De Paul|
Whenever this minion survives damage, summon another Grim Patron.
If you love getting your face punched, come to the Grim Guzzler!
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Grim Patron||800||100|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As usual, on-damage triggers like this one will not trigger if the damage is prevented such as by Divine Shield effects.
- Whenever Grim Patron suffers damage, if its condition is satisfied, it summons a new Grim Patron. In particular:
- Minions that have been set pending destroy, such as by Acidmaw or poison effects, are considered to be dying: if such effects trigger first, the condition will thus not be satisfied and Grim Patron will not trigger; otherwise, if Grim Patron triggers first, a new Grim Patron will be summoned. This also means the Dominant Player Bug order may matter.
- Grim Patron checks immediately before activation to see if it is mortally wounded/pending destroy or not. For example, if Grim Patron attacks an Imp Gang Boss which triggers first, summoning a minion which triggers a Knife Juggler which hits the Grim Patron reducing its Health to 0, no new Grim Patrons will be summoned, despite the fact that Grim Patron would have survived combat damage.
- Since on-damage triggers are resolved before effects with two or more steps move to their next step, if Grim Patron is damaged by Bouncing Blade and survives, the newly summoned Grim Patron will be a valid target for the following "bounces" of Bouncing Blade, which can let the minion summon several Grim Patrons in a single turn.
- If you play Grim Patron, Commanding Shout and Bouncing Blade, you do not get the expected result of a full board of 3/1 Grim Patrons: since the Commanding Shout Enchantment is only applied between Phases, Bouncing Blade is actually able to kill a newly summoned Grim Patron before he gains the Commanding Shout buff, and thus stop from bouncing before the board is full.
- This card's triggered effect is not a copy effect: the summoned minion will be a new Grim Patron, regardless of enchantments, effects and current Health of the summoning minion.
- Grim Patrons summoned by a golden Grim Patron will also be golden.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Grim Patron serves as the centrepiece of the Patron Warrior deck, with various activating cards used to repeatedly damage the Patron, causing more Patrons to be summoned. Efficient trading and synergistic effects can result in good board control, allowing the warrior to deal overwhelming face damage from their army of Patrons. It can also generate good card advantage, leading to a potential win condition in itself.
This can be a very sticky minion since his 3 Health will allow him to survive most AoE damage and spawn another copy. This can make it so that the opponent has to deal with this minion first using one of their bigger minions or spells. Grim Patron provides value either through trading with enemy minions, or through passively providing additional Patrons by surviving damage. To make the most of the minion, combine it with trading and synergistic effects like Whirlwind and Revenge to simultaneously clear the opponent's board and develop your own.
Good Grim Patron play can create strong board control, but no matter how many Patrons the warrior gains they can still be removed through AoE like Flamestrike. The main challenge to the opponent is removing the Patrons without creating more. This is best achieved through powerful AoE damage or destroy effects, but is possible one by one. Small minions are a liability when playing against Grim Patrons, and the Patron player should trade into them as often as possible to create more Patrons. Note that the 7 minion limit means that with a full board no more Patrons will be summoned by the effect, allowing the opponent a little more room to deal with them.
Mages can damage friendly Grim Patrons using Fireblast in order to constantly have a minion on the board, allowing them to quickly overwhelm the opponent if the Patrons are not dealt with.
Minions like Aldor Peacekeeper, Shrinkmeister, or Crazed Alchemist can be useful in lowering your opponent's minion's attack to allow Grim Patron to attack and summon another Grim Patron. Effects like Baron Geddon, Wild Pyromancer, Whirlwind, Ravaging Ghoul and Tentacle of N'Zoth can be useful for damaging friendly Grim Patrons. Mad Bomber and Madder Bomber offer similar utility but are far less reliable. Grim Patron synergizes well with Frothing Berserker and Whirlwind, allowing Berserker to significantly increase its attack.
If the conditions are satisfied, Defile will trigger up to its maximum limit of 14 times, often leaving a board full of Grim Patrons for a warlock.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- A fight, count me in!
- Effect triggering
- Everyone, get in here!
- Hehe, pile on!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Grim Patrons can be found at the Grim Guzzler in Blackrock Depths. They are initially neutral, but will become hostile (along with all other mobs in the bar) if Plugger Spazzring is killed or has Grim Guzzler Key pickpocketed from him.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to Patch 126.96.36.19904, Grim Patron was used in combination with Warsong Commander to grant Charge to each new Patron generated that turn, allowing warriors to decimate their opponent's board in a single turn. See Warsong Commander#History for details.
- The innkeeper's startup quote "Everyone - get in here and say hello!" is based on the summoning quote of Grim Patron. Its use here is likely due to the phrase's high popularity among the community, especially in the months following the release of Blackrock Mountain, which saw the Patron Warrior deck become one of the strongest in the meta. The phrase's popularity is also reflected in the creation of sites such as http://everyonegetinhere.com.
Voice[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.5211 (2015-03-31): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Zeriyah on Twitter. (2015-03-06).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcniWFdCBKY Tested in Patch 184.108.40.20674 (WotOG patch)
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-03-06).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-03-06).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-03-07).
- Commanding Shout + Grim Patron +Bouncing Blade = kills a Grim Patron. (2 Apr 2015).