Battlecry: Discover two cards. Give one to your opponent at random.
With Griftah in your deck, sometimes you start the game with The Coin!
How to get[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Griftah's effect works in the following way:
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Griftah allows you to generate a card for both yourself and your opponent. The extremely unreliable effect, which is effectively equal between you and your opponent, has two clear advantages: You are able to play the card you receive from Griftah on the same turn as you earn it; and you know the card your opponent has received.
Griftah's ability is extremely situational and valuable in only a handful of niche cases. As you have such little control over him, it is challenging to find a suitable opportunity to play him to gain advantage over your opponent. Here are some ways in which Griftah can deliver a clear advantage, based simply on giving a purely random card to each player:
- If your opponent has 9 cards in their hand, Griftah will fill their hand up, forcibly Milling a card from their deck on their next draw and instead filling their hand with a mediocre card. Using Griftah in conjunction with similar cards, such as King Mukla or Naturalize, can improve this effect.
- You have cards which capitalize on random card generation, such as Princess Talanji and Open the Waygate.
- Your opponent is playing Mecha'thun, in which case they will need to play the card you give to them before activating their combo.
- You are just barely off lethal and are searching for any source of burst damage, and might be able to finish your opponent off before they can take advantage of their free card.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- There's a customer born every minute!
- Trust me!
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Griftah is a phony amulet vendor located in the Lower City of Shattrath along with other appearances at Darkmoon Island and Kun-Lai Summit.
- He persistently announces his silly wares, such as Soap on a Rope and other white neck slot items, all of which are quite useless, either granting abilities you already have (such as jumping, swimming, or returning to your body upon death) or effects you do not need (such as protection from critters or from "Tikbalangs", which aren't actually in the game).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Griftah's card art appears to include references to various items famously sold by Griftah in World of Warcraft, including the Hula Girl Doll, Soap on a Rope, and Shark's Tooth of Bona Fide Fluidic Mobility, as well as a hearthstone and some references to the game of Hearthstone itself in the form of a card pack and what appears to be a jar of Arcane Dust.
- Griftah's flavor text is a reference to his aforementioned World of Warcraft habit of selling useless items and advertising them as granting "unique" abilities that player characters already have access to by default.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.199845 (2018-11-29): Added.