Gonk, the Raptor
|Tags:||Attack-related, Death-related, Triggered effect|
After your hero attacks and kills a minion, it may attack again.
There’s a word for Zandalari druids who refuse to pledge loyalty to Gonk: “Delicious.”
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Gonk, the Raptor||1600||400|
|Golden Gonk, the Raptor||3200||1600|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Multiple copies of Gonk, the Raptor stack, with each copy giving one extra attack per minion killed.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Naturally, Gonk has synergy with Spirit of the Raptor; with each minion destroyed thanks to Gonk, you are rewarded with additional draws. Drawing into cards such as Pounce or Bite can assist in clearing out minions with higher health.
Attacking multiple times is an easy way to trigger the Deathrattle of Twig of the World Tree, giving you access to 10 additional Mana Crystals.
Malfurion the Pestilent's hero power or the upgraded hero power gained from Baku the Mooneater are excellent sources of gaining hero attack without playing cards, which make Gonk useful even when resources of hero attack are limited.
Flobbidinous Floop is a great second resort if your Gonk has been destroyed before you could use it, also making it cheaper by 3 mana allowing more cards to be played. Or to play Floop with as a second Gonk on board to utilize the stacking Gonk's effect, as stated in the Notes.
Should you find yourself in a situation where you control 2 Gonks, you are granted two extra attacks per kill. This increases with the number of Gonks you control.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- You dare challenge the lord of the hunt?
- Tear them apart.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Gonk, the Great Hunter, is the ancient raptor loa of shapes and master of the hunt. The Darkspear trolls heard many of the Zandalari's tales about Gonk. He taught both tribes how to be druids, and the Zandalari druids serve him as the Raptari. Gonk's high priest is Wardruid Loti. The followers of Gonk and Pa'ku do not get along.
- Gonk taught the Darkspear tribe how to contact the loa in a different way than they had before, thus allowing them to serve all the nature spirits at the same time instead of only one at a time as they used to do as loa priests (witch doctors). The other loa, such as Shirvallah, were against this but Gonk forced their hands in order to defeat Zalazane, who had trapped several loa inside the Emerald Dream. Through this method the Darkspear became druids, though the other loa are not happy about it and want the trolls to continue worshiping them one at a time.
- Unlike the Darkspear druids, Gonk did not just speak to the Zandalari. For his Raptari, Gonk is not just a fragment or piece of him, but physically there, a real voice they can listen to in person.
- Rikkar thought Gonk and Wardruid Loti were examples of inspiring contrast. Gonk was one of the oldest loa, and Loti one of the younger competitors in the Rumble (not to mention an advisor to King Rastakhan! And one of the most talented shapeshifters in the world!), but the two of them joined forces to open the door for young Zandalari trolls to become Druids. Loti was the inspiring leader to a pack of howling, dinosaur-jumping lunatics. Maybe he could use that!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- At one point in playtesting, Gonk cost 5 mana. While this was fine in most circumstances, occasionally it would allow druid players to use Gonk in combination with Pounce and an already-equipped Twig of the World Tree as early as the fourth turn to rapidly escalate the game, which was "not an okay circumstance".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 184.108.40.206845 (2018-11-29): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Disguised Toast. 7 NEW INTERACTIONS from RASTAKHAN'S RUMBLE. Retrieved on 2018-12-04.
- Daxxarri (2018-11-26). A New Challenger Approaches - Part 3. Retrieved on 2018-11-26.
- Hearthstone (2018-11-28). Final Card Reveal Livestream | Rastakhan's Rumble (44:35). YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-11-30.
- Christopher Hayes (2018-12-03). Gonka the Raptor. ArtStation. Retrieved on 2018-12-04.