Galakrond, the Unspeakable
|Set:||Descent of Dragons|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Destroy, Gain Armor, Replace Hero Power, Upgradable|
|Tags:||Hero Power-related, Invoke-related, Random|
Battlecry: Destroy 1 random enemy minion. (Invoke twice to upgrade.)
Lazul called Galakrond's name, her voice echoed by whispers from the deep. Both of Galakrond's eyes opened... and then other eyes opened, as well.
How to get[edit | edit source]
A single non-golden copy of Galakrond, the Unspeakable will be automatically given to each player the first time they open a Descent of Dragons pack. Non-golden Galakrond, the Unspeakable is uncraftable and cannot be crafted or disenchanted.
|Golden Galakrond, the Unspeakable||3200||1600|
Upgrades into[edit | edit source]
Generated Hero Power[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Galakrond, the Unspeakable generates constant, unpredictable value through his Hero Power and Invoke, giving the Priest a significant amount of resources throughout the game. His Battlecry when Invoked is powerful, destroying multiple enemy minions while leaving your minions, with the 5/2 Claw adding extra board control or damage. Even while not fully Invoked, Galakrond can destroy a single enemy minion while also swapping you into his value-based hero power, which can turn a neutral game in your favour. Galakrond also enables Fate Weaver, which has an effect highly valuable for control and OTK decks.
Disciple of Galakrond and Time Rip are average, low-tempo cards on their own, while Devoted Maniac and Shield of Galakrond fare worse. Because of this, it's possible to run Galakrond without any supporting cards, and simply use him as a one-time kill spell and value generator in Control mirrors. The quality of the minions you can get have a large variance. While there are some good well-rounded cards like Sandhoof Waterbearer and Skeletal Dragon in the minion pool, there's also the risk of generating bad or situational minions like Test Subject or Lightwell as well.
Galakrond's Wit is a slow, value-based hero power, meaning switching to Galakrond can be a tempo minus for several turns. Trading away Lesser Heal can lead you to a steady loss as you gradually lose health, especially if you're not generating good minions. As such, against an aggro or tempo deck Galakrond is best played after you've already secured the game, when you can safely use the hero power for an endless stream of fuel. Against control and combo decks, playing Galakrond should instead be prioritized as the healing is less important and the minions can be game-winning. If you haven't played him yet, Kronx Dragonhoof is a great way to offset Galakrond's inherent tempo disadvantage.
Princess Talanji will play every minion you've generated from Galakrond, making her a powerful synergistic pick with Galakrond.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- I am beyond imagination! Succumb to your madness!
Emotes[edit | edit source]
|Thanks||Your madness... is pleasing.|
|Well played||I approve of this insanity.|
|Greetings||I see you...|
|Mirror Greetings||Who said I was hiding?|
|Wow||That was... imaginative!|
|Oops||Oh, the horror...|
|Threaten||Your mind falters...|
|Attack||Break their minds!|
|Concede||I give up. Enjoy the silence.|
|Thinking ||What about..|
|Thinking ||What if...|
|Running out of time||What? Time is running out!|
|Almost out of cards||I am running out of cards.|
|Out of cards||I am out of cards!|
|Error: Too many minions||My board is too full.|
|Error: Generic||That is impossible.|
|Error: Hand already full||I have too many cards.|
|Error: Hero already attacked||I cannot attack again.|
|Error: Minion not ready||Give that weakling a turn to get ready.|
|Error: Minion exhausted||That minion already attacked.|
|Error: Not enough mana||I need more Mana for that.|
|Error: Need a weapon||I need a weapon. Or claws.|
|Error: Can't play that card||I cannot do that.|
|Error: Can't target stealthed minions||That minion has Stealth.|
|Error: Not a valid target||I cannot target that.|
|Error: Must attack taunt minion||I must attack the minion with Taunt.|
|Lunar New Year Greetings||Happy New Year.|
|Winter Veil Greetings||Happy Feast of Winter Veil...|
|Pirate's Day Greetings||Yarr! Galakrond be raidin' the skies.|
|Noblegarden Greetings||Noblegarden... I detest it.|
|Hallow's End Greetings||Hallow's End... My favorite.|
|Midsummer Fire Festival Greetings||Fireworks. I love those...|
Unused[edit | edit source]
|Opening remark||The whispers... They speak to me!|
|Mirror start||...and ME alone!|
|Selection in Arena||Turn their world to madness!|
|Sorry||Sorry. What was I thinking?|
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Galakrond was a massive proto-dragon, who is known as the "progenitor of dragonkind". He was a threat which five proto-dragons of varying colors united against. It is said that from him the Titans created the Aspects, but this is a rumor the Aspects actively encouraged so as to keep the truth about Galakrond a secret from the dragonflights.
- His size alone was greater than all of the Aspects combined, large enough that the only possible being Galakrond could be compared to was himself. His roar could be heard from miles around, and the flap of his wings generated powerful wind. As he continued to consume the life-energies of his fellow proto-dragons, Galakrond grew hideous mutations all over his body (such as limbs and even eyes) and his skin started to decay, almost as if he had become an undead like his victims. Galakrond was not always this large and he used to have a smoother, more streamlined appearance. His mutations were caused by cannibalizing on other proto-dragons, and as a by-product of his absorption of the proto-dragons' life essence his victims came back as undead, called the not-living.
This version of Galakrond is one of five forms he takes in Descent of Dragons, each catering to a League of E.V.I.L. member. This version was reanimated by Madame Lazul and the power of the Old Gods. Thus, Galakrond the Unspeakable is covered with the tentacles and additional eyes that signify their corruptive influence.
His other forms are as follows:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Galakrond the Unspeakable's title may be a reference to one of the old gods from H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, Hastur the Unspeakable.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 220.127.116.11060 (2019-12-05): Added.